Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:50:00 AM
713396 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Questions about Region Free DVD Players « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Questions about Region Free DVD Players  (Read 2167 times)
wuggles451
« on: September 06, 2003, 06:07:09 PM »

I tried doing some research on my own but came up empty, so i figured I'd ask the board. Do any companies in the use make region free players, if so who? If not is it illegal for me to have my current player modified?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hamish
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 03:29:03 AM »

www.vcdhelp.com check for a hack for the one you have at the moment

most dvd players now days are multi-zone
dean
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 10:12:54 AM »

although most dvd players are multi zone, i'm always annoyed when i try and watch my friends dvds he gets from china [and usually they arent released here yet! ] but they are in black and white.  i'm guessing its an incompatible tv [i just change tvs and it works fine, but its annoying]
am i right or is there another reason?
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2003, 12:25:52 AM »

How reliable are these hack things that change the region coding?  I've heard they exist, but no one I've ever asked has heard of them.  What are the chances they just completely destroy your DVD player?  I have a region 1 player and really want to get a region 0 or make mine 0.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2003, 08:11:38 AM »

As far as I understand, every DVD player is originally manufactured region-free. It is then adjusted to its region of sale, or left region-free and sold as such. The adjustment is often made using simple codes through the remote, and people have found out these codes, and can use them themselves, these are the most common kinds of region-hack. I have successfully hacked 2 out of 2 players using these hacks and made them from region 2 to multi-region. In fact when buying the second player, we were deciding out of three players, and I checked the internet to see which one we could hack, and bought it for that one reason, as near half of my DVDs are region 1.

'DVD Region Hacks' has most of the well known hacks.

There are also some players that can't be hacked this simply, and there are companies who offer to make them region-free by adding chips and adjusting the actual hardware. I don't know too much about all that and personally it's not the kind of thing I'd have done.
wuggles451
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 04:13:38 PM »

Thanks for the info. Im gonna go try and hack my player with a code i found. If it doesnt work...well i guess i'll save my pennies for an all region player.

Jim H
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 05:09:32 PM »

That's because the video are NTSC, and you're in a PAL zone (best guess).  I'm assuming you're in Europe?
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 05:59:32 PM »

I checked out the page, and directions were given for only one Sony player (not the same model as mine).
There's also a blurb about damages resulting the following of the hack codes.  What could these things do to your player?

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Questions about Region Free DVD Players « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.