Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:45:24 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Japanese Movie Recommendations « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Japanese Movie Recommendations  (Read 3405 times)
wuggles451
« on: September 15, 2003, 08:04:45 PM »

So I bought Versus a while back and now am like a junkie who needs his next fix of Japanese cinema. So i ordered, from superhappyfun.com(highly recommended), Gozu, Miike's latest and my first Takashi Miike film. Also I ordered Down to Hell the predecessor to Versus. If I like these, next on the list is Fireworks, Wild Zero, Dead or Alive, and Battle Royal. Any other suggestions?

Post Edited (09-15-03 21:39)
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 10:52:33 PM »

yeah battle royale definitley

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 10:57:58 PM »

I recommend Ringu , the inspiration for Ring and Joyû-rei (also called Ghost Actress ) if you're looking for horror movies, Yojimbo and Sanjûrô if you're looking for Samurai movies.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 11:01:26 PM »

I know this one isn't in the league of Kirwasawa or the ones Wuggles mentioned, but I liked NINJA WARS. The ones below are on my list to see

Wild Zero
Fireworks
Yojimbo

Anon E. Mouse
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 05:15:51 AM »

I'll give you two picks and compare it to an American film.

Gonin.  This is the Japanese Res Dogs.  Very cool action, over the top characters, Yakuza, homoerotic tension, brilliant camera work, what more can you ask for of a Japanese action film?  One of my favorite films.

Tokyo Fist.  This is the film Fight Club strived to be.  Awesome tale of two men who feel emasculated after a tragic event, and the lengths they go through to feel like men again.  Brutal and poignant.
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 07:53:30 AM »

I would recommend "Hana-Bi" and "Brother", both Beat Takeshi films.  They remind me of Aki Kaurismaki's style of film-making - very *very* black humour and static set-ups.  Then there's "Tokyo Drifter", a pretty-hard-to-define 60's gangster film, and - not for the faint of heart - "Tetsuo" and "Tetsuo 2", sort of sci-fi splatter on a miniscule budget.
The "Ring" films are atmospheric, even creepy, but nothing like as frightening as people made them out to be.
Finally, for the epics, "Ran" and "Kagemusha", big films with a Shakespearean ethos.

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
wuggles451
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 08:37:58 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, out of all of them i think I have only seen Brother. Not too interested in the Ringu series but Tokyo Fist and Tokyo Drifter have got me curious.

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 09:32:04 AM »

Check out Happiness of the Katakuris. Absolutely biting-heads-off-rabbits INSANE horror-comedy-musical. You won't regret it.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
dean
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 09:48:40 AM »

if it actually has biting the heads off rabbits, i'm there!

what's wrong with the ringu series? it doesn't have the big scares of other horror films and doesn't have the big budget of other films, but as previously said, it has the atmosphere sadly lacking in most films nowadays, and that final scene scares the pants off me no matter what.

i also reccomend the film Hypnosis.  i guess it's similar to ringu, but i'd say it's a lot scarier, and at times fairly creepy.  great film
Eric
New Visitor

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 11:33:02 AM »

Excellent suggestions (esp "Brother" and "Tetsuo"). Prequel (?) to the Ringu-series, "Baasudei", too.

Probably mentioned already. But try Takashi Miike's "Ichi the Killer". ("Koroshiya 1")
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 12:12:13 PM »

Sorry, no rabbit decapitation, but it does have claymation action scenes, dancing zombies, suicide by chopsticks, karaoke (complete with lyrics at the bottom of the screen), pedophiliac sumo wrestlers, and an uplifting ending, to boot. Did I mention it's the best movie ever? 'Cause that bears repeating.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
wuggles451
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 02:11:59 PM »

I just didn't like Ring when I saw it in theatre so have no real desire to seek out the originals. The end scene, if you are refering to when the girl crawls out of the TV, that was the final nail in the coffin I absolutly hated that.

dean
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2003, 12:23:15 AM »

ah well, can't please 'em all! :P
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2003, 10:12:42 AM »

If you are into horror, maybe you'll enjoy "Dark Water", the latest film from the creators of "Ringu". If you look for more classic stuff, the best-known Kurosawa films, like "Ran", "Yojimbo" or "Seven Samurais".

I'm not much into japanese films myself, but easily my favourites from this country are the animated works of Miyazaki, like "Laputa", "Porco Rosso", "Princess Mononoke" or "Spirited away".

Some people have mentioned Takeshi Kitano. I hated "Violent Cop", but I've heard the critics rave about his latest stuff, "Hana-bi" and "Dolls", or even earlier films, like "Sonatine" or "Boiling Point", so you may feel like watching them.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Jim H
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2003, 07:40:04 PM »

Buy the 4 movie collection titled Sonny Chiba's greatest hits.  3 of the four movies are good (both Street Fighters and the Samurai one) the bodyguard one sucks.  I bought the set for $7.50.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Japanese Movie Recommendations « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.