Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:52:44 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cracking Up « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cracking Up  (Read 2572 times)
Vermin Boy
« on: July 23, 2001, 09:10:37 PM »

Just in case anyone's interested, Amazon.com seems to have released an exclusive VHS copy of "Cracking Up," a movie by the creators of Tunnelvision, with contributions by Phil Proctor and Peter Bergman (of the Firesign Theatre) and the Credibility Gap (Harry Shearer, Michael McKean). Anyone ever seen it? From what I've heard, the parts not written by the aforementioned groups aren't that great, but how can I pass up on a meeting of two of my favorite troupes (for $8, no less)?
peter johnson
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2001, 11:52:38 AM »

darn tootin' I'm innerested, pardner --
PS:  You should be in receipt of my order for the Demons of Stupidity discs -- don't delay!  Send it today!!
Apostic
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2001, 04:21:20 PM »

"by the creators of Tunnelvision"

That alone should frighten most people off.

Understand.  I really liked Firesign Theatre, and I think their album Waiting for the Electrician or Someone Like Him not only holds up well today, it's also significant, well crafted comedy.  Tunnelvision, and moreso Cracking Up, were NOT the  creative high points of their career.  

Cf how well The Groove Tube has held up.

regards,

Apostic
peter johnson
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2001, 07:14:22 PM »

Yep, they did do some very odd/bad videos.  A good one on the festival curcuit -- though I have no idea of its availability -- is "God's Clowns".  Also, see "Nick Danger and the Case of the Missing Yolk" -- widely available -- for good Firesignery video stuff.  Also, Apostic, please don't speak of them in the past tense.  They have 2 very VERY good current CDs:  "Give Me Immortality or Give Me Death"(1999) and "Boom.Dot.Bust"(2000), both on Rhino.  Coming this fall from Rhino:  "Bride of Firesign", all brand-new material commemorating Phil Austin's 60th(!) birthday.
Also a new DVD out -- also on Rhino.  See www.firesigntheatre.com for details.
Flangepart
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2001, 11:18:05 AM »

New Firesign! Ye, verily, praise Rhino, for they are good!
drewdroid
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2001, 10:14:02 PM »

Gotta back up PJ (can I call you PJ?) on the firesign comments. I found "Gimmie Immortality or Give Me Death" one of the greatest comedy bits of all time (at least since "How Can You Be in Two Places at once When You're Not Anywhere at All"). Oh, by the way, I'm one of the 3 in the Demons of Stupidity..and I can blame Vermin Boy for my exposure to firesign (hehe).
peter johnson
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2001, 11:47:38 AM »

Someday Firesign will get the wider recognition they deserve --
In the meantime, it's fun to be part of the club of "them what are in the know".
I really only know of a few comedy recordings that one can listen to over and over again & find new detail with each listening:  Some of Jonathan Winters, some of Shelly Berman, some of Beyond the Fringe/Dudley Moore & Peter Cooke -- but damn near ALL of Firesign Theatre!!
Really looking forward to hearing my Demons CDs --
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cracking Up « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.