Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:14:10 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Toy, Toilet & Critter Destruction « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: OT: Toy, Toilet & Critter Destruction  (Read 7840 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: October 06, 2003, 05:42:44 PM »

The previous thread about Jar Jar Binks toys got me thinking.....

I used to melt those green & tan colored army men into puddles of goo with a lighter or a candle when I was a kid.  I would pretend that the soldiers had a voice and as I would put their heads near the flame I would say out loud, "Oh please God NOOO....don't burn me!!"
Then I would make gurgling sounds as they melted.
They were the only toys I ever had the heart to destroy.
 Probably because they were cheap and I could buy a new bag or bucket of 'em for a few bucks.

Back in high school an old friend of mine & I took one of those M-500's I think they were called...they look like a stick of dynamite only with a fraction of the power and blew up an old toilet out in the country!  
We actually took the time to load the thing into my trunk, which would not close all the way...we had to bungee cord it to keep it shut.
I remember that we were laughing the entire time.
Nearly half of the toilet was disintegrated by the blast.  We were smart to hide behind my car...it threw shards of porcelain everywhere.  Even in our hair.  I remember showering that night and picking pieces of it out.

I was one of those kids who was also fascinated with a magnifying glass.
I remember going to the store with my dad when I was about 12 and buying a big one with the sole purpose of dealing death to all insects with it.
He said to me in the checkout line, "What do you need a magnifying glass for?"
"So I can burn bugs with it."  I said.
He shook his head and laughed.  I thought for a minute there he was going to make me put it back but he didn't.  My guess is that he probably did the same thing when he was a kid.
I would then proceed to burn any bug I could find and observe their death throes.  Usually I had to pull a wing or a leg off so they would hold still.  
Daddy Long Legs or Harvestmen were a favorite because their legs keep twitching after they're yanked off.  We would get a kick out of watching a daddy long legs try to stumble about with only one leg.  
Daddy 1 Leg!
I guess I got off on some kind of power trip by being able to harness the heat of the sun and fry things with it.  
The only downside is the disgusting smell of burned bugs.
As soon as I saw the smoke start to rise from them I held my breath.
The side of my dad's house was always crawling with Boxelder bugs so they were the most obvious target.

My stepbrother and I would also take BB guns and pump them up with just air...no BB's and shoot insects point blank with a blast of air.
The impact would literally destroy them.
I remember one time when there was a huge spider about the size of a 50 cent piece on the side of the woodshed..it was a grotesque orange colored one and I blasted it.  We both had our faces splattered by it's guts!  I actually got some of it in my mouth!
YUCK!!

Did any of you do things like this as a kid?
Any particular funny stories?

Post Edited (10-06-03 18:17)
wuggles451
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 06:06:03 PM »

I have lots of stories like this. Most memorably a few years ago a friend and I decided to burn an action figure of mine. We poured paint thinner on it and lit it on this tinny piece of patio under his parents bed room. When we were satisfied with our charged creation he instructed me to pour water on it. This was at 1:00 am and were about 13 at the time it didn't occur that the water would spread the fire. Long story short we almost burned his house down. Its funny, at least to me, in retrospect.

That same year I also made a batch of napalm, from a recipe in the Anarchist Cookbook. Yeah, I was a total pyro.

Things haven't changed much over three years of "maturing". Just yesterday  I filmed a friend in a Twinkie costume, riding a scooter armed with roman candles, chasing a fat kid.

Good Times

raj

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 06:32:51 PM »

wuggles451 wrote:

> Things haven't changed much over three years of "maturing".
> Just yesterday  I filmed a friend in a Twinkie costume, riding
> a scooter armed with roman candles, chasing a fat kid.

Sounds like a fun movie.  

Once in a while I would have at my model collection with BB gun & firecrackers.  Needed to clear space to build more.
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 07:42:53 PM »

That sure takes me back.
wuggles451
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 08:40:04 PM »

It was fun raj. We also cut some melons  up with my sword. Swords are fun.

Susan
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 09:26:39 PM »

>>>used to melt those green & tan colored army men into puddles of goo with a lighter or a candle when I was a kid. I would pretend that the soldiers had a voice and as I would put their heads near the flame I would say out loud, "Oh please God NOOO....don't burn me!!"
Then I would make gurgling sounds as they melted.
They were the only toys I ever had the heart to destroy.
Probably because they were cheap and I could buy a new bag or bucket of 'em for a few bucks.<<<

Now I know who they based that neighbor kid on in "Toy Story"

>>Daddy Long Legs or Harvestmen were a favorite because their legs keep twitching after they're yanked off. We would get a kick out of watching a daddy long legs try to stumble about with only one leg. <<

You know my very first pet was a daddy long legs, I'm deeply offended.  I hope you are never reincarnated as a bug my friend. Thanks for that clarification, now I know it's true...

boys really are evil!

Post Edited (10-06-03 21:34)
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 10:04:30 PM »

Firebombing anthills with that homemade napalm was always a favorite of mine.  A buddy and I also forgot that "water spreads chemical fires" rule once and started a large portion of his garage on fire with a huge fireball.
Black cats and matchbox cars still provide a great deal of entertainment.
And, to sharpen my marksmanship, I enjoy shooting grasshoppers in half with a pellet gun (loaded, and quite a bit farther than point blank range).  
Grasshoppers in the mating season are very docile and will sit happily on a firecracker with a lit fuse.  Dumb insects.
And myself and another friend managed to engineer a huge fireball to shoot out of a toilet with some spraypaint.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
NightFlight
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 10:15:44 PM »

I guess girls can be evil too.  I used to cut worms in half and watch each part squirm around.  I also smashed ants with my fingers, and would destroy ant hills by covering up the hole and then wiping all the dirt away to bury them.  I still don't know why I did that.  I had enough toys to keep my occupied.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 09:25:03 AM »

We used to have loads of fun in high school, and in the following years. My buddy, Paul (the one who could always be counted on for this kind of fun), once brought over a bag of bottle rockets. We duct taped a hockey puck into the end of a two-foot length of carpet tube. Driving around in his dad's Omni, we would light the rockets, drop them into the tube, and shoot them over the heads of unsuspecting pedestrians. We then took some over to a nearby bridge, and shot them down into the water. At night, the flash would be a pale orange under the water, and the report was a muffled thump.

As for firearms, besides blowing away Gobots, My Little Ponies and pictures of Boy George, we actually did a bit of hunting. One winter morning, looking for rabits, we walked across a frozen pond on his property. The ice was thick enough, and the pond was pretty shallow, so I took a shot at it. I guess there was enough pressure for water to come gushing up. So, I went to a new spot, called Paul over, and did it again. "....then one day, he was shootin' at some food" Bang. And Paul laughed his ass off.

In case you're wondering, we did both take firearm safety courses, and were observing all the safety rules. As for rules about safety on frozen ponds, I'm not so sure.

Shooting pop cans  and bottles, we discovered, was much more fun when they were unopened and full of pop. I once took a two-litre plastic bottle of club soda, got it nice and warm in the sun, bounced it off the ground a couple of times, put it at the end of an outdoor range, and shot with a .303 from 100 feet. There was a huge splash, the bottle shot up in the air, and everything around it was soaked. When I retrieved it, the whole back of the bottle was split open.

I did a bit of the burning ants with a magnifying glass (at a much earlier age), and found that a Bic lighter did a nice job on a spider in a web, but I was never very big on cruelty, even to tiny, creepy creatures. Well, there was a toad, on the ground, shot with a 12-gauge at a range of about 18 inches. Aside from a smoking hole in the ground and dirt raining down on me, there wasn't much to see.

This was all in my teens. I haven't even owned a gun in years. Never had the time or the patience for hunting, suitable places for target shooting are hard to come by, and the gun laws in Canada are pretty strict. Mainly, I just kind of lost interest. I'm just as happy not having the things around the house anyway.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 06:59:56 PM »

I have no idea how many of these I went through in my youth.

We used to go into the fields near our house and create elaborate bases, trenchworks, bunkers, you name it.  Then we would step back ten yards or so and start shelling the positions with dirt clods.

And once there was an atomic attack on a green army man base.  I took a milk jug and filled it with either gasoline or kerosene.  To that I added shredded paraffin, because it soaks into things, burns hot, and burns for a long time.  The top was sealed in with a wad of rocket fuse and a homemade firework of fair size.

What occurred was a "whump" followed by the flaming mixture spilling out and filling the nearby trenches.  The poor little men turned into a literal Dante's Inferno of  half-melted bodies, some seeming to reach up out of the green morasses.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2003, 09:09:41 PM »

Another funny story I forgot to add was when in high school, my friend Larry made this device he nicknamed "Sparky" out of a blue colored transistor radio casing.

I'm not sure how it worked exactly, I remember him taking it apart, showing me it's inner parts and explaining it to me.
It had a photo cell and whenever you switched it on, it made that super high pitch whining sound that cameras make.

Attached to the casing was a white 2 foot regular electrical cord with a standard 2 prong plug-in (the kind you find on all electrical devices) at the end of it.  He filed the prongs down so they were small metal nubs.

Once the thing was fully charged, all you had to do was touch the metal nubs to something and ZAP!!
He took it to school and touched it to my metal locker and the resulting !!BANG!! and flash made everyone around us jump!  
Smoke even rose up from the spot where he touched it to the metal.
It left a huge black mark that stayed on my locker for the entire remainder of my stay at high school.  I tried rubbing it off but it wouldn't go away.
As far as I know, it's still there.

We used to pour a small amount of water on the ground and place an insect in the puddle.  
They would squirm around in it trying to escape.
That's when we'd take "Sparky" and touch it to the water.
The bugs' legs would contract and you could visibly see them shaking from the electricity!
We would laugh our asses off!!

I talked to him recently for the first time in over 5 years and he told me he still has good 'ol Sparky!

Post Edited (10-07-03 22:32)
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2003, 09:32:19 PM »

Storage capacitors!  Your friend made some sort of homemade discharge system, but what he pulled out of that camera (or bought at an electronics supply store) was a storage capacitor.   They can be pretty dangerous.  I remember some fellow was salvaging the capacitors out of disposable camera bodies so that he could do something with them.  The story was on Slashdot, but I cannot find it now.

Found it, here is the story:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/11/0451236&mode=thread&tid=137

Post Edited (10-07-03 21:33)

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2003, 10:46:51 PM »

Now that you mention it, I do remember him using the word "capacitor" several times.

I also forgot to add that one of the biggest, toughest guys in our class named Kyle saw us messing with it in shop class and thought he was tough enough to take a "hit" from it.
He rolled up his sleeve and my friend stuck it right on his left bicep!

I will never forget the expression on his face.
He literally screamed like a girl!
Sparky left a rather bad burn on his arm.  
It bled and at the end of that class he said something like, "f**kin' A dude!  That hurt like a son of a b***h!"
I ran into Kyle about a year ago at a house party and asked him if he remembered taking that shocking blast.

He did.
He sat down his beer and showed me his arm.

The scar is still there!
JohnL

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2003, 11:25:31 PM »

>I talked to him recently for the first time in over 5 years and he told me he still has
>good 'ol Sparky!

Get him to post the plans!
Ash

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2003, 11:43:29 PM »

I'll ask him for the plans.  
I'll see if I can get a webcam shot of both the outside & inside of it.

He works really odd hours and out of all my friends, he's probably the hardest to get ahold of.

Someone here mentioned ants.

I still, at age 29 like to hock up big lugies...especially the big nasty slow dropping one's and spit them right down onto the top of large anthills!

I can just imagine if they could talk.

They'd be screaming, "Look out!!  Here it comes!!  Emergency stations!!!

LOL!!

Post Edited (10-08-03 00:25)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Toy, Toilet & Critter Destruction « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.