Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:42:55 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Authors in movies. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Authors in movies.  (Read 5164 times)
Mofo Rising
« on: July 26, 2001, 04:37:45 PM »

That offshoot in the thread below inspired me to start this one.  Anybody know of instances of authors (or just plain writers) appearing in movies.

I'd say that Stephen King must surely be their king.  (ahem)  He appears in most of his movies.  Usually it's just some walk on appearance, but other times he carries whole scenes.  (Not to mention the first CREEPSHOW.)  I usually enjoy his appearances because, one, he's pretty goofy looking, and two, so is his acting.

The only other instance I can think of off the top of my head is from the terrible miniseries WILD PALMS.  If you'll remember, WILD PALMS was the Oliver Stone produced "cyberpunk" thriller starring a boatload of smaller actors.  The only reason I call it cyberpunk is that it takes place in the future, and they unceremoniously trot out William Gibson, as if to prove their credentials.  He's only in it for a second, and he only says one line, but why?  Such a bad, bad show.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2001, 04:55:23 PM »

Don't forget Fritz Lieber's appearance in Dennis Muren's film school project, EQUINOX. One of the most unintentionally hilarious things to find on the TV at 1 am.
Steve.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2001, 05:17:57 PM »

Author James Dickie plays the Sheriff in the movie adaptation of his novel, Deliverance. William Burroughs plays a raddled old junkie (I wonder where he got the inspiration?) in Drugstore Cowboy. Clive Barker has small roles in two godawful movies -  Sleepwalkers and the truly terrible tv adaptation of The Shining.
Apostic
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2001, 05:22:05 PM »

I beg to differ on Wild Palms.  And to prove my point, I just happen to have William Gibson right over here....

No, just kidding.  That's a reference to another author cameo: Marshall McLuhan in Annie Hall (1977).

See also: Neil Simon in an episode of The Odd Couple series.

regards,

Apostic
Gerry
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2001, 05:50:04 PM »

Damn you!  Now I'm going to have to go watch that one again just to see Fritz Leiber's cameo.
Chadzilla
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2001, 06:01:15 PM »

Big Jim Thompson (author of The Killer Inside Me, The Getaway, The Grifters, Pop. 1280 and many other great roman noir) appeared in Robert Mitchum's Philip Marlowe movie Farewell My Lovely.
peter johnson
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2001, 07:30:30 PM »

On TV:  Gore Vidal has a recurring bit as a cicuit judge in Law & Order.  Earl Stanley Gardner popped up in random episodes of Perry Mason as, ta-dah!, a judge.
It's hard to miss Lieber in Equinox:  He's drooling over some girl as a demon-possessed cop or park ranger.  When I saw this in the theatres when it first came out -- 71 or 72, I think -- I remember his hideous twisted expression as he drools into the lens the only thing scary in the film.
The guy who wrote "Sex in the City" -- name escapes me -- can be seen typing through a window in the final episode of the first season.
Allen Ginsberg in that Bob Dylan documentary by Pennebaker -- can't remember title.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2001, 09:10:58 PM »

Really? I had thought Lieber was the old professor the kids were going to see, who's on screen just long enough to jump out of a bush, steal their book, trip over a rock, and die. Oh yeah, and I still crack up thinking about Park Ranger Asmodeous (snicker).
Andrew K
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2001, 10:37:51 PM »

Arthur C. Clarke made a cameo in 2010, James Ellroy appears in a party scene in Wonder Boys,and  Gore Vidal also has important supporting roles in Gattaca and With Honors.
chili
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2001, 09:54:18 AM »

not the writer but still interesting... The Thing had John Carpenter in the Norwegian video footage in the movie.
Gerry
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2001, 10:58:21 AM »

Vermin Boy wrote:
>
> Really? I had thought Lieber was the old professor the
> kids were going to see, who's on screen just long enough to
> jump out of a bush, steal their book, trip over a rock, and
> die. Oh yeah, and I still crack up thinking about Park Ranger
> Asmodeous (snicker).

You are correct, sir.  Copied from the IMDB credits listing:

Jack Woods (II)....Asmodeus
Fritz Leiber....Dr. Waterman
peter johnson
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2001, 07:00:05 PM »

Ooops -- well, damn, how the memory doth fade.  Hated that damn film, anyway --
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Authors in movies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.