Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:07:28 AM
714312 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  dawn of the dead « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: dawn of the dead  (Read 4118 times)
Susan
« on: October 17, 2003, 07:25:12 PM »

I was just looking at trailers and saw the "DAWN OF THE DEAD" remake

Remaking classics only teaches the younger generation to avoid watching old movies. I work with a younger girl who hasn't seen stuff like "Airplane", "Superman", films that I think are somewhat american staples and pretty recent. God forbid if many of the youth have even seen movies prior to 1970...mostly because today's society discourages kids from watching classic movies, remakes only reiterate that sentiment.  And that's been in the making for sometime, but when I was growing up, we loved old movies and not just the popular classics. We would go to the video store and go straight to the genre section vs the "new releases". Of course I can still remember vhs and beta sections..hehe, and even then the new releases as I recall weren't always recent films. And I guess the video collection we owned was a very diverse one, we didn't have alot of new releases - mostly stuff people taped off of HBO for us. (because we were po' folk back then, we could afford an $800 vhr but not a new vhs tape..heh)

I guess it just shows how we cater to kids.
"look timmy, you dont' have to watch that bad old movie..we'll make you your OWN version because not only does it make you feel special but we make alot of money without having to do much but copy off of someone elses idea". plus they can throw in the tagline "This is not your parents movie".

And that ladies and gentlemen is why I have no desire to see the TCM remake. If you have the original out there and it's good, why do i want to see a copycat?  I guess it just burns me everytime I have to endure yet another remake. I can understand remaking a film that sucked to begin with if your spin is better.

Post Edited (10-17-03 20:08)
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 08:26:49 PM »

I think you make some valid points here.  However, on the flip side of the coin, what's so challenging about remaking films that sucked?  Say I gathered a thousand dollars and remade Plan 9 from Outer Space.  Of course I'm going to make a better movie.  As everyone here knows, I am a simply superb writer, and a damn fine director.

I mean, everyone can tell by my plethora of witty and wise posts on this board that I'm a better writer than Ed Wood.

Right?

Right?

Huh.  Tough crowd.

My fool attempts at humor aside, if the remake of, say, Night of the Living Dead, were to disappear into a ball of green fire, there would still be people who wouldn't watch the original.  It's in black and white.  The acting's not up to standard.  This reason, that reason.  It's not just remaking films that's the problem; it's the whole idea of new being better.  I would blame decades of commercials before remakes.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Susan
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 10:30:32 PM »

>>However, on the flip side of the coin, what's so challenging about remaking films that sucked?<<

Well by sucked I more or less mean a film that didn't do well but still had the potential. Some examples might be "the 10 Commandments", where the remake actually becomes the classic itself and demonstrates that it's not following in the success of a film that's important but making your own movie the one everyone remembers because it stands on it's own feet.

>>it's the whole idea of new being better<<

It's a throw away society. New isn't better, it's just new..and people pay to see it for only that reason. Kind of like the way sequels offer the promise, we like the original so much that we want to experience that feeling again so we rush to teh sequels which basically steal alot of moments and just rehash the same storyline again and again until your sick of it and teh characters (which in itself somehow makes the original less...special - for lack of a better word)

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 11:08:26 PM »

You're old, aren't you?

Seriously, I think you may want to look at it as not for the benefit of the younger generation, but rather a way for movie producers to bang out a quick buck by copying a previous success.  Like those sequels you mentioned.

A lot of people go to movies for some quicky entertainment.  They may not love movies like the rest of us, they just want to see something at the theater.  And what's playing at theater?  Whatever's new.  It's not just the younger generation who will go see remakes.  How many people, young and old, go and watch remakes of movies like AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER?

I'm with you.  A remake (or re-imagining) for no reason seems a pointless, money-grubbing venture, but don't blame the kids.  Blame the people grubbing the money.

People who love movies are going to seek out the classics and enjoy them, no matter the age (of the people or the movies).

Not like those no-good punk teens!

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
gammaray117
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 11:31:57 PM »

I heard about a producer who wanted to remake NORTH BY NORTHWEST with more action. I guess it's for people who wanted that movie to be excruciatingly god-awful. You can't do the infamous Mt. Rushmore scene with computers without Alfred Hitchcock turning over in his grave. Or rather, screaming in agony. Did it ever occur to anyone that a bunch of mindless explosions don't make a movie great? Preying on your last vestige of reality in a world like this does. And that's exactly what The Master did. But audiences these days won't sit still for it. So therefore, blasphemy to the greats of cinema sells. It's a sick mass culture we live in, folks. Thank goodness for badmovies.org.

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"
daveblackeye15
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 01:13:11 AM »

I'm sixteen so that makes me a no-good punk teen. I LOVE classics and i've changed my mind, i'm not going to go see TCM I realize now that I was jeaslous that my mom got to go to the orignial TCM in theaters because she missed out on a Classic Horror Movie, the new TCM is not a classic (I'm sure of this) and thus is no reason for my kids (I'm just saying in the future) to be jeaouse of me. If they get into horror movies they'll say "YOU Passed on a chance to go see Texas Chainsaw Massecre(2003)" and I'd say "Yep same as your grandma but for your grandma that was ACTUALLY a waste. If I saw TCM(2003) that would have been a waste of my time."

-the first rule of fat club-
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 08:16:53 AM »

I think people should stop remaking classics. What they should do is remake more of the unsuccessful movies of the past . . . but try to make them BETTER.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 08:18:56 AM »

Not all of us "young people" hate the originals.  

I myself am 20 y/o and I believe that the new TCM remake is actually a good idea.  Yeah, a good one.  I hated the original TCM, not because of the fact that it is old, but because I did not find it entertaining.  The film was not scary, and was boring.  The sequels on the other hand were great, especially for their camp value.

I will not be going into the new TCM thinking that it is a remake.  To me it will be a sequel.  The story will be different, as will be the characters (except for the family, natch).  I'm actually quite excited about the flick being as it's been a long time since we're actually had a disturbing horror film released.

As for other original flicks, I love them.  If you were to look at my DVD collection you would notice that most of my horror films are from the very early 80s or earlier.  I love the original Night Of The Living Dead and it is one of the absolute best horror films ever made.  I also love Savini's "remake" of NOTLD.  Both are great films!  But I have never watched Savini's version thinking to myself that it is a remake.  Just think of it as a continuation of the story.  Forget phrases like "reimagination".  

I also feel that some of the best comedies came in the 80s or before.  Take Cannonball Run for example.  It's a hilarious flick with quick lines and cheesy acting.  One of my favorite comedies ever made.  I would certainly go see a remake of the film just because.  Hopefully it would be better than Speed Trap AKA Cannonball Run 3.

Hopefully I made my point that not all of the newer generations are mindless when it comes to film.  Sometimes you just have to take what is given.  If they want to give me a new TCM film, then I'll take it.  Looks like a blast.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 10:41:01 AM »

"Thank goodness for badmovies.org."
no kidding, i love this site! all of us true film lovers should start and armed movement. anyone up for the idea? i've always wanted to be a mercenary!! oh and the Dawn remake is most likely gonna suck a fat one.

"Here are the young men, a weight on their shoulders
Here are the young men - well where have they been?
We knocked on doors of Hell's darker chambers
Pushed to the limits, we dragged ourselves in." -Joy Division

Post Edited (10-18-03 10:43)
Susan
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2003, 10:52:44 AM »

>>You're old, aren't you?<<

Yep, 29 seems over the hill these days ;-)

>>I'm with you. A remake (or re-imagining) for no reason seems a pointless, money-grubbing venture, but don't blame the kids. Blame the people grubbing the money.<<<

If the kids didn't seen it (and they don't know better) the movies wouldn't keep coming. It is a money churning machine and it's very sad that it seems like in the past 10 years especially almost every film that hits theaters is a remake or sequel of some sort. That has steered me clear of many Hollywood films and turned me towards indy and foriegn pictures where I always seem to get the most suprise and enjoyment from the "little guys". I don't like to seem so cynical but these days it's hard not to. I guess after 100 years of cinema it's to be expected.

>>'m sixteen so that makes me a no-good punk teen. I LOVE classics and i've changed my mind, <<

Good for you! Just say no to the hollywood recycling bin! I'm sure there's no harm if it comes on cable. I think alot of younger folks have been exposed to so many "new" films that the overall look and feel of older films (even going to black and white) have no appeal to them. You have to realize that time changes the way movies look but not the way they impact. (with the expection of culture desensitization to violence perhaps..the more we see the less of a shock an older movie may have from the 30's. But entertaining nonetheless) Seek out movies of your generation that will be the "classic" of tomorrow. At my age I spend less time going to movies that I always have that feeling about beforehand that I'm just not going to really like, it'll be that "mindless entertainment that isn't really that entertaining". Promotion can brainwash people into thinking they have to see something. Ever notice after walking out of a well hyped up movie that everyone looks pretty jaded? New isn't always bad, I'm just wise to the marketing campaigns...and with movies being so pricey these days.

And Skaboi, I know not all young kids hate classics (god I don't wanna be one of THOSE people who puts everyone in a box). But I can easily see how growing up in today's world can shape the mind. I mean someone in a previous thread actually said "classics" and "grosse pointe blank" in the same breath". I'm desperately working on exposing my godson (who is now 10) to older movies, because he once said to me "it's old, it's not even color!" and realized that he somewhere picked up that an old movie must suck. Who can blame him when he was raised by watching nothing but cartoon movies, disney dvd's and cartoon network. When I was his age I flipped stations (all 5 of them) and watched lots of old saturday night flicks..and I'm mean old and bad..so bad they were good. Because during weekdays we had to watch whatever mom and dad wanted to watch which was usually stuff like Bionic Man, Dance Fever and holy crap it's a wonder I survived the 70's. At his house the tv is on cartoon network 24-7. I think the oldest animated film he's ever seen was one I showed him "the secret of nihm" when he was about 6. I can't WAIT till he's a teenager..hehe

I guess all people like us can do is pass it on to the next coming generation. Just a simple appreciation for all kinds of films and not limiting yourself by preconceived notions.

Because you just wait, right now they're on the bandwagon with remaking horror classics. I can already foresee them remaking "The Philadelphia Story", "dirty Harry"...it's coming

Post Edited (10-18-03 11:02)
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 12:28:02 PM »

Dirty Harry starring "The Rock" of course.  :o)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
StatCat
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 02:01:06 PM »

Not much to say from me other than I purely hate remakes (night of the living dead was good by Savini though) I agree it's a quick way to make a buck without much thought to it.
Gecko brothers
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 04:05:47 PM »

Oh 15 I beat you and classics rule from old Universal Monster to George's "Dead" trilogy to the origional Alien and Mad Max. Even Deathwish was cool. I also love new classics from Evil Dead trilogy and the some of the Carpenters movies even his last three are enjoyable to a degree. The new Dawn of the Dead( the classic is my favorite of the three) looks good buts seems stupid the first was kinda even though the zombies are slow they still kinda are scary because they're everywhere and you can't fight them all. What could be really disturbing is that they might be friends relaitives. Hopefully my doubts on the remake are false.
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 05:01:07 PM »

Yay!

Who's up for "Megaforce 2003 - The Return"?

Ah.  Okay, back to the pitching-board, then.  Let's see "It's ET - with aliens!" or "It's Jaws - with aliens!" or "It's Aliens - with aliens" ... no, nobody can be that stupid ...

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Jim H
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2003, 05:22:56 PM »

Remakes are fine when there is some real way to improve them.  Dawn of the Dead was close to flawless, brilliant film.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  dawn of the dead « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.