Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:03:08 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  dawn of the dead « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: dawn of the dead  (Read 4077 times)
Susan
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003, 05:38:43 PM »

>>Remakes are fine when there is some real way to improve them.<<

I wonder why they thought adding color would improve "PSycho"?

Schindlers list next in color? B&W sometimes has impact, I think hitchcock avoided it for years ..probably thought it was a silly effect that didn't do much for the film.  Some remakes can be done well, but most don't. And when everyone gets on the bandwagon it's enough to make me scream.

If I won the lottery I would want to open my own classic theater, where the rooms would be styled differently. Some in red with curtains, others with tables for dining. But all sharing one thing, no new films. I would love a saturday matinee where one theater room would show 2 movies back to back all day and you could pay one fee (perhaps a little extra) and stay all day if you want. Show everything from all the popular titles like Godfather, alien, even have a family day on sunday with Old Yeller, Dumbo. Sure some of these are owned on dvd, but I think it  would be a great novel idea to be able to go to the movies and see Fright Night, or back to back b-movies. I think teens would like it, because it would give them a chance to maybe see a bunch of flicks they've never seen before, and others a chance to see it once again on the big screen. Old fashioned popcorn boxes, and a FAMILY ROOM, yes you heard me. A soundproof room in the back for the screaming baby (i saw one of these overseas once and it was fantastic) But I digress...

Jim H
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2003, 12:28:29 AM »

If you build it, they will come.

I know I would :)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2003, 01:28:55 AM »

For the most part I don't mind remakes at all.

I see them as maybe a new way to look at the subject matter.
I actually look forward to seeing them depending on who stars in them and who's directing.

ONLY if they are good however!  Which is rarer than finding a diamond in my driveway.

Unfortunately, most remakes are made for the goddam MTV type crowd who are into superficiality, material possessions and a general ignorance of not only the REAL world around them but more importantly, the original source material for the film.
And let's not forget that most remakes include my absolute HATRED for hip hop.
It seems that there's some demand to make them ethnically, racially and politically correct these days which I feel is a load of bull.  In my opinion, if I were given a film to remake, I would make it how I wanted to and NOT how I THOUGHT the audience wanted it.  
f**k what the audience wants I say!
Most of the Bfilms we love were made from directors with such a mentality.  They didn't give a s**t about fads, trends and all that other bulls**t and made the film how they wanted to.   They basically said to themselves.."I don't give a flying f**k what the general public thinks, I'll make this film the way I want it."  If only more directors had this mentality....then we wouldn't be exposed to garbage films that have been recently released.
Why do you think films like Evil Dead & Bad Taste are so well loved by us all?  It's because their directors had the aforestated mindset going into it.

Most of these people who remake films are ONLY concerned with making money and not the eventual legacy and possible cult following the film will have in the future...which SHOULD be their reason for making it but they are inevitably blinded by dollar signs.

A successful remake stays true to the original style and overall feel to the original while still being original itself.

Post Edited (10-19-03 03:06)
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2003, 10:21:50 PM »

Ash, I usually don't agree with your posts, but today is different.  You are spot on with your last post.  

I also see remakes as being somewhat of a new way to tell a story which sometimes works out great (NOTLD '90).  But alas most remakes turn out s**tty.  

Remakes should follow closely to their originals without stepping on their toes.  And if it is a film that is being brought up to date to modern times, I see no reason why there shouldn't be rap in the film, as long as it fits the overall film.  To say that there shouldn't be rap in film is actually kinda racist.  We ARE an ethnically blended country and all....but I digress.

But you do have to think about something.  If you were a director and you felt your film should be one way and the studio felt it should be another and there was millions of dollars in the agreement, you wouldn't be thinking about cult status.  Your vision would go right out of the window, as would anyone else's.  That is why most cult films are DIY.

(Steps Down From The Soapbox)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
JohnL

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2003, 10:22:51 PM »

>Most of the Bfilms we love were made from directors with such a mentality. They
>didn't give a s**t about fads, trends and all that other bulls**t and made the film
>how they wanted to. They basically said to themselves.."I don't give a flying f**k
>what the general public thinks, I'll make this film the way I want it." If only more
>directors had this mentality....then we wouldn't be exposed to garbage films that
>have been recently released.

On the other hand, that's the attitude that lead to Batman & Robin being inflicted on the world...

>Why do you think films like Evil Dead & Bad Taste are so well loved by us all?
>It's because their directors had the aforestated mindset going into it.

Both those films were original though, so nobody really had any pre-conceived notions about what they would be like.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2003, 12:08:18 AM »

In my case, it's not that there shouldn't be rap in film, it's that I don't care for music that distracts from the action on screen.  I want to see a movie, not a music video.

I don't see anything racist about not liking a form of music and not wanting to hear it.
Susan
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2003, 06:35:18 PM »

>>In my case, it's not that there shouldn't be rap in film, it's that I don't care for music that distracts from the action on screen. I want to see a movie, not a music video.<<

Yeah but then how could they profit if they don't push a soundtrack? It's all about $$

Why do you think Disney songs aren't so "cutsey" anymore like they used to be. No more "Whistle while you work songs", not as long as elton john or billy joel can sell those cd's to adults

jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2003, 07:34:19 PM »

Which is a big reason I dislike most recent films....instead of a real soundtrack of music composed for the film, they select a bunch of random songs and slap them together.....

And yeah, it's damned sad what's happened to Disney over the last few years.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2003, 11:56:37 AM »

Don't get me started on "old movies."

I used to work in a video store and people would always come in looking for new releases. If we didn't have what they wanted, I would suggest several other movies. They would often say . . . "no, those movies are OLD." (In many cases, they were only a year or two old!!!!).  I would say, "have you seen them?" They would reply, "no." Then I'd ask, "well, if you haven't seen them, why not give them a try?" They would reply, "no thanks, I want something NEW."

One time, a woman came in and was looking for the movie MANNEQUIN, which was a new release. We didn't have any copies on the shelf, so I made an alternate selection. She said, "no, I want something NEW." So I asked, "You'd rather rent a new movie that isn't very good than a movie that is a couple of years old that is VERY GOOD?"

She paused for a moment, then said "yes."

I don't understand this. I just don't understand.

Even if a movie is "old," if you haven't seen it, isn't it new to YOU????

So many so-called "movie fanatics" don't know what they're missing by refusing to watch "old" movies, which might even be (God forbid) in black & white.

Post Edited (10-21-03 11:57)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Susan
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2003, 06:10:09 PM »

>>"no, those movies are OLD." (In many cases, they were only a year or two old!!!!). I would say, "have you seen them?" They would reply, "no." Then I'd ask, "well, if you haven't seen them, why not give them a try?" They would reply, "no thanks, I want something NEW."
<<

we live in a throwaway society where we are always upgrading, updating, supersizing, making things newer and better. So..people associate new, with "better".  This social conditioning must stop!

It's called...brainwashing!

Lance Stabbe
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2003, 05:53:30 AM »

I just foudn this site and scanned the board - and sure enough - Dawn of has a mention.  One of the greatest bad films - and I also hear of a remake.  Why would they?  If it's this broke, don't fix it.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  dawn of the dead « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.