Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:11:28 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Valley of Gwangi « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Valley of Gwangi  (Read 1835 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: October 26, 2003, 07:51:38 PM »

This did not stand up to memory as well as I thought it would, but the stop motion is very good.  Especially, as was pointed out in the short feature on the movie, the section with the cowboys roping the Allosaurus.  The Eohippus was nicely done and Gwangi is plainly awesome to watch as he strides around.  Obviously, his posture is a matter that has since been changed through scientific study, but Harryhausen's creatures are always so alive.  I think that if Ray had been animating Gwangi in the accepted modern pose, the result would have been lessened, because the roping scene would have come off differently.  

On the bad side?  The human love story was a little contrived (they often seemed so in Harryhausen's films, not though his fault).  The elephant makes some really strange sounds.  And, horror of horrors, a spunky kid.  At least the young boy did not know everything there was to know about Gwangi.

During the film, I noticed that Jenna would get really excited and start squealing in delight whenever Gwangi was on the screen.  She even giggled when the dinosaur ate the midget.   Kind of funny, since she loves her alligator (my contribution to her toy stash.)  I make it apparently eat her foot or such and she laughs and laughs.  Well, I guess that we found a name for the alligator.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 09:45:33 PM »

Just wait Andrew till she sees DESTROY ALL MONSTERS. After seeing that movie I just had to draw all of the monster from Monster Island and then place them on my bedroom wall. Don't show this movie till your little girl can draw on paper. Even then you should check her closet for monster drawings with a camera in hand. Nice monster pictures. Does she take martial arts,  I think she is about to apply a Ju Jitsu choke hold from the guard position on that alligator. I've seen that technique before. Cute girl you have there Andrew.

daveblackeye15
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 11:53:47 PM »

AWWW! That's a cute picture.

-the first rule of fat club-
KLOP2
New Visitor

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 02:00:36 AM »

I loved Valley of Gwangi. The actors were positively excellent. I couldn't quite tell if it was set in the 20th century at first but the lady, TJ, wore clothing that showed it was.

KLOP2
New Visitor

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 02:01:37 AM »

I loved Valley of Gwangi. The actors were positively excellent. I couldn't quite tell if it was set in the 20th century at first but the lady, TJ, wore clothing that showed it was.

Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 02:40:34 AM »

aww cute lil 'B'aby in'nt she?:)

save the world, kill a politician or two.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 01:02:25 PM »

VALLEY OF GWANGI was one of those movies that I saw a lot of trailers for on TV when I was a kid. I remember that I REALLY wanted to see it in the theater but I didn't get the chance. In fact, I had to wait until about 5 years ago when I bought my nephew a VHS copy (okay . . . I admit it . . . I bought it for him because I wanted to see it).

I think I would have enjoyed it more when I was a little kid.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 01:44:39 PM »

Cuuuuute kid!
I liked the monsters, but the humans were...well, bleah. But, as per the Joe Bob quote in my " DOG' posting....
She will likely be daddy's girl, with Katie's brains, and your sense of humor....oooh, spooky!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 05:23:46 PM »

All parents are convinced that *their* kid is the cutest, but your sprog comes across very well!  A word of warning - watch out for that toy stash, because it will inexorably expand to take over your entire house.  I speak from experience.

VotG - I remember seeing some of this many years ago, and seeing one of the extras/Expendable Background Character actors being surprised by the Gwangi as it burst forth from the scenery, shortly to nibble upon him.  How, I wondered, does a 30 foot high, ten ton monster manage to *sneak up* on someone?

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Flangepart

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 11:55:36 AM »

How does a 30 dino sneak up on someone? Verrrrrryy carfully!

Andrew....try to get her intrested in toy you like too...make play time more fun for both of you....
No, that don't include daddy gun collection...least till she turns 16...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Valley of Gwangi « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.