Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:18:21 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Miss-spelingz « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Miss-spelingz  (Read 7332 times)
Steve.
« on: July 29, 2001, 06:11:47 AM »

These are absolutely genuine misspellings or other gaffes in newspaper or tv guide listings - any more? - or are there any movies that would benefit from a slight alteration to the title?
FRIEND WITHOUT A FACE
THE BLACK SHEEP with Basil Rathbone
BRIDGES OF DRACULA with Peter Cushing
I BURY THE DEAD with Richard Boone (think about it!)
THEY WERE EXPANDABLE
THROWN OF BLOOD
BLADE RUNNER: THE DIRECTOR'S CAT (I always suspected Scott had some help)

A few made-up ones:
DAY OF THE DEAF - huh?
THE MAMMY with Al Jolson
DEAD RINGS - "ring" is Brit slang for er...the er...a***ole?
THE HILLS HAD EYES - now they've joined the white cane set.
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2001, 07:16:57 AM »

Kind of like Mad Magazine parody titles!

I once read a newspaper TV listing for a little movie called The Day The Earth Stood Stool. I wonder if it was the inspiration for tonight's scheduled Futurama rerun, The Day The Earth Stood Stupid.

Made-up one: Independunce Day. Appropriate, no?
Steve.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2001, 11:10:47 AM »

Very appropriate indeed!  "Stool" is also the "proper" term for ...er...bodily waste. BTW, Squishy "Mad Magazine" sounds like my cup o' tea - is there such a thing as a Brit edition, or has it ever been on sale over here?
Squishy
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2001, 03:56:42 PM »

http://www.collectmad.com/britishcovers/

Official site-- http://www.warnerbros.com/pages/madmagazine/home.jsp
(In the "MAD Dump" there are photo-parodies of A.I. and Dr. Dolittle 2 and more.)

Mind you, it was a lot funnier in the old days--hey you kids, git offa my lawn!!--it's best known today as a Fox-TV very-low-brow comedy show.

There's a compilation of the classic parodies called MAD About The Movies available in the "Books" section of the Warner Bros. site; I don't know if it's available in England, but should be...best one: revisiting the 'lovers' from Summer of '42--twenty years later. Ewwwwwwwww.

Also, Broderbund made a seven-disc CD-Rom collection called Totally MAD--every issue from its creation to about the time it started going waaay downhill (1952-1998). While the manufacturer won't ship outside the US, I found a seller on eBay that WILL--and currently has it for half the original price! For description purposes only, check out http://www.learningco.com/SubCategory.asp?CID=455
Steve.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2001, 04:07:22 PM »

Many thanks Mr. S. - that 1/2 price offer sounds a canny wee bargain (as the legendarily tight-fisted Scots say). Thanks again.
Glaxar
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2001, 05:26:05 PM »

Made-up one: Jurassic Pork
I'd watch it.
Guitarwolf
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2001, 06:49:07 PM »

Made up ones:
Last hous on the Right (woops. wrong turn)
Evil Dad 2: Dad by lawn
Jackie Chan's First Dyke: Police Story Whore
Jeepshow
Star Wars: The Umpire Strikes Out
Baseketball Diaries
Edwards Scissored Hand
Save the last pants
C.H.A.D.
Army of Dorkness
Galaxy Pest
Revenge of the Turds
Gnobenkase
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2001, 11:45:14 PM »

A mate and I tried to come up with a list of missing consonants (or vowels) that would have made movies more interesting.  If you can come up with any more amusing ones, I'd be really happy to hear them.

The Empire Trikes Back
The Brie of Frankenstein
Crimson Tie
All Quiet on the Western Font
Spac Cowboys
Way Out Wes
Poo Sharks
My Grandfather's Cock
The Big Seep
Oldfinger
Critical Ass
Pus in Boots
Zulu Dan
True Git
And God Created Oman
Fat Times at Ridgemont High
Apocalypse Ow
Peeing Tom

We also had a go at adding letters:

The Lady Varnishes
The Breast with Five Fingers
Closet Encounters of the Third Kind
Strangers on a Strain
El Chupacabra
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2001, 03:12:29 AM »

Baseketball Diaries - I'd watch that!
Seeing Matt Stone & Trey Parker shoot up
a school has got to be better than
watching their show.

For "weighty" high-school drama, you can't
beat "Plump up the Volume".
Flangepart
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2001, 10:59:12 AM »

Indeed! Some friends brought me a Brit Edition of Mad some years ago. Before they got Tainted with P.C. .Dangit, in the old days, they bit everybody! Din' have no sacred cows mooing in the fields.......anyway,yeah.
Steve.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2001, 01:35:47 PM »

You're not wrong Mr. F. - damn those PC pantywaists! - for verily they hath spoilt our questionable-taste fun filled frolics. All I can say is - may the inevitable backlash (ooh, missus!) be HUGE! (ooh again, missus!)
Mofo Rising
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2001, 02:56:53 PM »

I own that MAD CD-Rom Omnibus.  It's pretty neat.

I think you should try picking up a MAD again sometime.  They did a rehaul a while back, and it can be pretty funny.  At least their recent anniversary issue had some humor in it that pushed the boundary, especially the retrospective.  "Mad Magazine runs it's most controversial feature ever.  Antoine Prohias' "Roe vs. Wade."  That snippet was accompanied by a picture of two people dueling in a courtroom with clothes hangers.  PC?

On the other hand, they also recently decided to use advertising in their magazine.  Advertising!  They tried to justify it by adding some color to the proceedings, but it's crap anyway.

I also think they need to cool it with the movie parodies.  I've never found them particularly funny.
Flangepart
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2001, 05:04:58 PM »

I still have a warm spot for some of the movie parodies. My fave. is the line in their ALIEN parody, when Asp tells Capt. Dullas" This creature has acid for blood."  and he says, "Great, maby we can killit with a rollaids."
Hairzilla
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2001, 06:55:52 PM »

How about these potential miz spellings or letter omissions:

KING LONG  [Give me your blonde virgins]

BODZILLA  [Later fights KING LONG for the right to the virgins]

THE CRAWLING DYE

ROBOCAP [The latest technological advancement in protective headgear runs amok!]

ZAPPA - THE TRIPHIBIAN MONSTER [That would probably explain alot]

THEY GIVE [Benevolent aliens, for a change, finally come to Earth - only to be met with extremely hostile resistance]

THE DRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE

NUDE ON THE TOON [This....is just wrong]

A.B.E.

ONE MILLION TEARS B.C. [That would sum up the general feeling while watching this film, even WITH Raquel Welch being in it]

EARTH Vs THE FLYING SAUCES

THE STIFF [This one has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many possibilities!]

BARNOSAUR [The creation of prehistoric livestock goes horribly wrong]

THE FEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS

INVADERS FROM BARS

And, lastly, THE ANGRY RED PLANT  [Unofficial sequel to "The Little Shop Of Horrors"]
Hairzilla
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2001, 11:25:06 PM »

Actually, that second one was meant to be "RODZILLA". Sheesh, even with a misspelling there's a misspelling.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Miss-spelingz « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.