Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:26:03 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mel's Triumph or Folly: A news article on Gibson's religous hokum « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Mel's Triumph or Folly: A news article on Gibson's religous hokum  (Read 11446 times)
Chris K.
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2004, 03:35:23 PM »

Megan wrote:

> As far as historacal accuracy goes with The Patriot, the movie
> was fictional to begin with.  If you really want to know what
> happened, read a book.  The Patriot was only produced to give
> the viewer a sense of what war in the 1700s could have felt
> like for colonial americans.  

Well then, as far as accuracy goes on THE PATRIOT, you are quite right about the story arc being fictional. As for the film itself, it may have given a small look at the Colonial American's during that time, but as a whole it just doesn't deliver a point to drive towards the viewer in terms of what it was all about at that time (that's how I feel about it; you might have a different view of the whole movie, which I will respect). Sure, you see a few battle scenes and such, but that's only a small portion the film shows. If you go read a book about it, their is SO MUCH MORE and it would indeed make a damn fine movie!

> As far as The Passion of the Christ
> goes (get the title right), it was an excellent
> dipiction of the sufferings Jesus endured in the process of the
> crucifiction.  What more do you expect from movies these days?

Well for me, I am on the other side of the fence with THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST (I got the title right). I felt it was truely a dull film that didn't inspire me, move me, or do whatever else it was supposed to do for me. I watched it TWICE in the theatre, and I was not impressed. I watched it again on bootleg DVD, and was not impressed. And finally, I watched it on legit DVD, and I was not impressed yet again. As you can see, I'm don't like this movie just to be different, I just don't like it because it didn't get me at all and that's it. And I watched the film FOUR TIMES to see if I was sure of myself. To others it's more than a movie, and as I have stated before that is fine with me, but to me it's just another movie about Jesus Christ, and not a particularly good one at that. Sorry, but I'd rather watch Dario Argento's THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE: it's not about Jesus or about religion, but at least it has a story, acting, style, and so much more to offer. In fact, I'll take THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST, and even LIFE OF BRIAN any day of the week. As for what I expect from movies these days, they are produced on $100 million dollar budgets and I do expect SOME effort put into them, especially on a budget on that scale (to be fair, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST was around $25 million as I can recall, and for a film I really didn't care for the production values were quite good). But then, that's too much wishful thinking on my part, so I'll stick with B-movies instead. At least B-movies do deliver more than what an A-movie does.

As for this entire thread, I think it's been over and done with for a while.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mel's Triumph or Folly: A news article on Gibson's religous hokum « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.