Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:58:42 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst movie-going experiences « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Worst movie-going experiences  (Read 13106 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 04, 2003, 06:06:43 PM »

I'm one of those people who goes to the theater to WATCH THE DAMNED MOVIE.  This means that I observe the following rules:

1.  I always get there early.  I REFUSE to walk into a movie after it has started.  I even hate to miss the opening credits.  In fact, I hate to miss the coming attractions.

2.  I go to the bathroom BEFORE the movie starts.  I will not get up in the middle of the movie to go to the men's room.

3.  Same with the concession stand.  I buy my popcorn & drink BEFORE the movie starts.

4.  Once the movie starts, I don't like talking to people, and I don't like people talking to me.

5.  I never leave before the movie ends, no matter how bad it is.  Never.

Now that I have listed my rules, I will tell you a few of the things that really annoy me . . . some of these things are specific instances, others are general things that happen all the time.

1.  When I went to see THE EXORCIST: THE VERSION YOU'VE NEVER SEEN, there was a group of teenaged girls sitting somewhere behind me.  One of them had a cell phone that rang about 6 times during the movie.  Every time it rang, she answered it and had a conversation for several minutes.

2.  One time, this arrogant-looking guy and his girlfriend came in.  Just after the movie started, his cell phone rang.  He talked for about five minutes.  About 20 minutes into the movie, he fell asleep and kept snoring.

3.  I hate it when people show up 10 minutes after the movie starts and then walk in front of me to get to their seats.

4.  I hate it when people keep getting up and down and walking in front of me to go to the bathroom, the snack bar, etc.  SIT ON THE END OF THE DAMNED AISLE IF YOU WANT TO KEEP GETTING OUT!

5.  I hate it when there are about 300 empty seats, and a person (or persons) decide that they want to sit beside me or in front of me.

6.  I hate people who talk throughout the movie, saying things like:  "Who is she?"  "What did he say?"  "Why did he do that?"

7.  I hate it when parents bring little kids and let them make a lot of noise or kick the back of my chair.

What are some of the things that annoy you (specific instances, or just general things that happen frequently).

Thanks for listening.  I had to get this off my chest.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 07:10:03 PM »

My worst movie going experience was at a double-feature of "The Creature From The Black Lagoon" and some other sci-fi b&W flick, both in 3-D.  This was when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old

Before the first movie, I got a popcorn.  This was my first time ever ordering buttered popcorn and I thought it was great.  At the end of first feature, I realized that some of the butter had collected at the bottom, and cooled down.  I thought "that stuff out to taste pretty good!"  So I tried it...

..I don't really know what to compare it to, but it was the most vile thing I've ever tasted.   Probably pretty close to eating warm Crisco.  Being pretty much straigh grease, I couldn't wash the taste out of my mouth.  It took me days to get the 'flavor' out of my mouth and I remembered it with gagging for years

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
JohnL

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 07:29:49 PM »

I agree with all your rules, although I am guilty of talking occasionally. Actually, it's more like whispering and I try to keep it low enough that nobody else hears me.

My worst movie-going experience was my own fault. I went with a friend to see Back to the Future III and at the time, I was a little bit in denial over needing glasses, so I only wore them when I absolutely had to. Of course I walked out of the house without them, so the entire movie was slightly blurry for me.

Post Edited (11-04-03 18:33)
Susan
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 07:38:10 PM »

>> always get there early. I REFUSE to walk into a movie after it has started. I even hate to miss the opening credits. In fact, I hate to miss the coming attractions.<<

I used to be the same way until they started putting car, food, showerhead and bluejean commercials in there...not to mention all the socially conscience ads of "be nice to your neighbor"

>>When I went to see THE EXORCIST: THE VERSION YOU'VE NEVER SEEN, there was a group of teenaged girls sitting somewhere behind me. One of them had a cell phone that rang about 6 times during the movie. Every time it rang, she answered it and had a conversation for several minutes.
<<

Were you in my theater? ;-) Some teen girl ran out crying in the middle of it. Another time a phone rang and someone yelled "Get the phone!", as I recall I think it turned out to be the phone in the movie.

My moviegoing experiences are always a fiasco so I never much think about them. I'm the one either dropping my popcorn or my bootlegged waterbottle slips through the drink holder and rolls all the way down to the front or something. I coincidentally viewed a film with the star..heh...and got hit on during "28 days" and sat with a perfect stranger.

I've got numerous stories about parents inappropriately bringing their kids to a movie and them losing their minds during the movie....as well as talkers, a guy who had a bag which he reached into every 5 minutes and pulled out everything from chicken legs to celery sticks. These are things you get used to I guess so no one theater experience really sticks out as the worst...except maybe that time at the drive in when I was 8 and a giant blank ant bit my toe as I was stepping out to go get popcorn, man that sucker HURT  ;-)

But seriously, I complain about all the theater rules people should follow constantly, but what can you do. I hardly say a peep anymore after some guys who turned out to be drunk followed me out to my car after I said something to them during the movie about their rowdyness...it's not worth my safety. I guess my biggest complaint is when hollywood rips me off with a really bad movie falsly advertised and i've wasted 3 hours of my life.

Post Edited (11-04-03 18:47)
regan
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 07:46:10 PM »

Okay, so it was a video.  'Lovers Lane'  Bad bad bad bad bad.  I couldn't even yell at the screen (as you can with most bad movies) -It was that pathetic!
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 07:56:07 PM »

I've gotten so sick of rude movie-goers that I usually go to the movies only a few times a year...which is why I really get ticked off if I don't like the movie.  Most movies aren't worth having to go through all that crap for.  Though it is interesting that in some movies people have been almost in awe of what's on the screen, which is the way it was when I saw the very first showing of FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.  

My worst was probably about 10-11 years ago...the nearest movie theater was about 50 miles from our town and our family went...turned out they were having some canned food drive  [bring a can of food, get in free] and the theater was packed.  We had to see LAST OF THE MOHICANS in the very front row.  My neck still hurts whenever I think about it.  

It's been my experience that senior citizens are the worst movie-goers.
Susan
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 08:53:39 PM »

>>We had to see LAST OF THE MOHICANS in the very front row. My neck still hurts whenever I think about it. <<

Why even make a front row that close. I saw "Forrest gump" front row to the very right and I looked left and up the entire time. I saw "Gladiator" front row at a stadium seated theater and those of you who have really looked at front row know how CLOSE it is to the screen. Let me say that the only thing I remember of the action sequences was alot of blurry movement and some nausia

motsuban
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 09:56:10 PM »

for me it was a week ago i saw texas chainsaw massacre thinking it would be like the original with jessica beil. i was very wrong. ALL or the characters were taken out and replaced by drunk fat people and it was an unholy marriage of scooby do and the blair witch project
ZombieFu
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 11:01:51 PM »

My worst experience was this past weekend. There was an all night Movie Festival in a local theater in MN on Halloween night. We were there for 12 hours. We got to see, Night of the Living Dead, The Corpse Grinders, The ORIGINAL Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Blood Feast, and (sadly) Planet of the Dinosaurs. However, the last movie was HORRIBLE. If we could make it through the last movie of the night we would get free breakfast cereal! So we decided to do it! The last movie was Rumplestiltskin from 1955. We were all hungary and extremely tired. At one point everyone I was with fell asleep. I had to go to the bathroom but I knew If I got up and tried to leave I would end up waking some people up. So instead, I just sat there so no one else had to suffer. So not only was it a horrible viewing experience.....it was PAINFULL too! But.....DAMMIT, I was one out of like 15 to survive the night and get my generic brand cereal!!!!!!!!!!!! I am proud of that!

ZombieFu
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 11:21:20 PM »

Zombie Fu, I don't think I could have done it. You deserve that reward. I'd like to try, but the theater must have a bed and pillow for what I call sleep viewing. Sleep viewing is when you see a whole movie while sleeping.

16 things that I don't like in a theater are:

1. People who show up after a movie has started.
2. Missing the previews to upcoming films.
3. Cell phones going off.
4. Babies crying
5. Someone pushing my chair from behind. (I'll create quite a scene if this happens)
6. Wrapper noise.
7. Theaters that smell like vomit. (from years of poor cleaning)
8. Sticky floors.
9. Moving, talking, or breathing during a film.
10. People who decide to sit in front of myself or family members.
11. Any people in the theater period. (I like an empty theater)
12. Snack prices.
13. Shopping malls instead of Drive-In Theaters.
14. Theaters without balconies.
15. Theaters without stadium seating. (unless theater is empty, I'm spoiled now)
16. Theaters without an IMAX.

Chris K.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 12:50:25 AM »

When I went to see COLD CREEK MANOR in the theatre, I was hoping for a good presentation. Unfortunately, it had to have been the very worst movie-going experience, and it was more technical than a people-problem.

The print that was screened was in good shape, but the projectionest didn't have the lens in focus and thus resulted in some "camera fog" that made the film overly hazy (one would say this was intentional by the director, but I had a friend who saw the film in another theatre and he told me that the image was sharp and clear). That and the film was not properly matted for it's 1.85:1 ratio. The film was shot in Full Frame 1.33:1, then matted to 1.85:1 by the projectionist. However, only the bottom half was matted. The top portion of the screen wasn't matted and thus resulted in the visibility of some of the built-in sets (one scene had the camera tilt up and you could see a portion of the camera lighting equipment; this was meant to be masked out by the matting). I almost went ballistic and was close to screaming out "Where is the projectionest!" I normally don't pay attention to flaws like this and focus on the entertainment, but when you pay $7.50 to see a film I expect that I get my money's worth.

As for the film, it was alright.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 02:28:49 AM »

Well you guys Im sure you guys have already read my little story about my viewing of Kill Bill with my parents, but there are a few instances in other movies.One was when I went to see Jeepers Creepers with some friends.A few people behind us were talking through out the movie and even yelling that the charectors in the movie about the stupid things they were doing, that was annoying. Anouther time we went to see House of a 1000 Corpses and there was someone in the movie theater who must have had some kind of respiratory problem because all through ther movie you could hear this loud raspy breathing.I eventually got so p**sed I yelled out during the movie "HOLD YOUR f**kING BREATH".The movie audience burst out laughing from that because they were just as annoyed as I was.
The next one didn't annoy me but certinaly annoyed the other people in the theater, because me and my at the time girlfriend were the cause of it.I don't think I really need to discride what happened, but all I'll say is that it got kinda loud, and like the entier row in front had to move.Eventually we got caught and were thrown out.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 06:13:51 AM »

wyckednick - excellent spelling; well done, Yours, The Spelling Nazi.

Scott - your Point 9) ... no breathing ... well, that will inevitably lead to an empty cinema for you, as paramedics remove all the asphyxiated patrons.

A memorable experience for moi was going to see "Leviathan"; one chap in the front row was obviously under the influence of Something.  He would gasp and exclaim in shock and horror at all the events on-screen, giving his own little commentary.  More amusing than annoying, really.  And then there was "Mona Lisa", where some immature lads in the audience were shouting out "kinky cow" at Lisa Tyson's bedroom antics.  "Shut up!" replied my wife.  "F**k off!" they called back.  "Shut up," I growled, and to our surprise they did.

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
TheFeen
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 07:25:57 AM »

My worst movie going experience was also my best and it was going to see 'Identity' with college. Now i have always been a tolerant person and many of the 'rules' listed do not annoy me that much (though i know they should), and all through my movie going life i have been the victim of chair kicking. Anyway this trip was a combined school/college thing where all students got in free. I took my seat with my newly aquired college chums and started to watch the movie. About 20 mins in someone started kicking my chair and this carried on all through. My rage built and i snapped, jumping up in front of peers and tutors alike i roared that if the violator continued i would wait for them outside and 'put their f**king teeth down their throat!' It was then that i saw the kicker was a young schoolgirl of about 13/14 who looked terrified. I got in trouble with college but i felt really proud.

'Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?'
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 09:02:29 AM »

All of the things that Burgomaster mentioned, go for me as well.

I never get up during a film.  I don't care if I'm about to p**s myself, I stay put, eyes always on the screen.  As for talking in the movie, I've had quite a few bad experiences; especially when watching Cabin Fever in the theater.  That night almost turned violent.

One thing that does get kind of aggravating is that my wife is a movie talker.  Not wispering, but talking.......

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst movie-going experiences « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.