Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:38:48 AM
713349 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst movie-going experiences « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Worst movie-going experiences  (Read 13100 times)
dean
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 09:04:26 AM »

i pretty much agree with most of the rules shown, especially when parents bring their kids to a film that's rated to highly for them, then the kid starts to freak out and cry [happened in the south park movie for one example, which was kinda odd]

i also remember one audience member sitting on the aisle during the matrix threw up when neo had all his cords popping out of his arms and such when he took the pill.

me and my girlfriend might have annoyed some people during 'wrong turn' because we were laughing so hard at how stupid the film was, and the fact that the 'killers' were bloody funny, not bloody scary, though i think alot of the audience were thinking the exact same thing.

i really really hate it though when you get your own personal audio commentary from an idiot.  very frustrating, yet at times fairly funny [if it adds to the atmosphere of say a comedy movie where everyone is having fun it's not that bad]

Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 10:00:05 AM »

When I saw Back to the Future part 3, there were 3 kids in front of my high school chums and I who would not...stop.....CLAPPING....every 5 minutes or so through the film. I am a pretty tolerant guy, but one of my friends had a tolerance lower than snake pee. He leaned forward and whispered "If you 3 don't stop that f***ing" clapping, I will rip your heads off and s**t down your necks!"

Unfortunately, this only worked for about 15 minutes.

This is probably why I go to the Rocky Horror Picture Show on occasion, because there are no rules and everyone gets to be loud and obnoxious - rather cathartic, one would say...

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 11:41:45 AM »

That's one reason I get to the theater early, just so I get a chance to pick a good seat.  Even though it means sitting through a bunch of (^#$%#&* ads.  I do have to say that I like the stadium seating, nice big cushy seats with cupholders, not like those crappy little seats we had when I was a kid.

I think Burgo's rules should be posted in every theater, and have ex-football players as ushers.  Unless you're a doctor, there is no good reason to have people calling you all the time.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 12:07:51 PM »

Burgo, you're a man after my own heart. I get annoyed by all the same things.

One other thing that bugs me is when I see a sci-fi picture and have to contend with a trio of university geeks laughing loudly at innapropriate times, to show everyone how ridiculous they thought something was. This happened during Mission to Mars, for example. Sure, it was a piece of crap, but come on.

I also agree with the statement that senior citizens are often terrible moviegoers. Lori and I saw Seabisquit in a theatre with more than its share of white hair. Must have been two or three couples around us, questioning, explaining, discussing everything. It was like watching a movie with my mom. The opening credits could still be running, and a character making his first appearance, and she'll ask "who's that?" How should I know? Watch the movie, it's got to be more fun than hearing it from me anyway.

Any talking in a theatre bugs me, even during the previews. Hell, even during the commercials. My rule is, if the lights are down and something is on the screen, it's time to shut up.

I used to sneak out of work early on Friday afternoon, or skip lunch on Sunday to catch an early showing, when fewer people would be around. Of course, now, my wife likes an evening out at the movies, so I'm kind of stuck.

Now, I just try to cut my arrival as close as possible, without being late. I used to show up half an hour ahead of time, to get the best seat, but found I had no control over who sat around me. Now, I get in there a couple of minutes before the lights go down, head straight for the stairs on the far side, and find the biggest empty space I can.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Bernie
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 12:18:30 PM »

No one's fault but mine:  Some years ago, my not-yet-wife & I were on one of our first dates -- we went into Manhattan to see "Mars Attacks" -- it was an extremely cold night, and as we got out of the subway, I, without thinking, flicked at my eye to remove a tear -- unfortunately the air was so dry that that was all it took to remove my right contact lens also!  It went flying into the snow and there was no way to find it. I tried to persevere, but the brain definitely does not like trying to reconcile two differently focussed images and I started to get a massive headache and had to leave in the middle of the movie.  Idiot, no?

And yes, she married me anyway.

I agree with most of Brother Burgomaster's rules BUT -- speaking as someone with a bladder the size of a pea (pun intended), toughing it out for some modern-day 3 hour epics is just impossible.  I DO try to sit on the aisle whenever possible, however.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 01:21:42 PM »

I can never bring myself to go to the washroom during a movie, even if I have to.

Normally, I'm a camel. I once spent an entire evening drinking beer and didn't have to pee until I got home. Still, I sometimes get caught by surprise.

Watching Rock Star, I had to pee about halfway through, and so did the two friends there with me. None of us knew about the other two, but we sat there crossing and uncrossing our legs until the credits rolled, at which point we simultaneously bolted for the exit. Afterward, we discovered that we had all been thinking "man, when is this thing going to end."

The worst was seeing The Living Daylights, back in the 80s. It was summer, and I had been guzzling pop all afternoon. I had a couple of glasses of milk with dinner, and when I went to pick up my friend, his mom offered me a lemonade or something. We got to the movie and I bought a big bucket of Coke, and more or less downed it while we were waiting for the movie to start. About 15 minutes in, I really had to go, but I'd be damned if I was going to miss any of the movie. So, I held it for the duration of a typical two-plus-hour Bond adventure. I was in some pretty serious pain by the end, but I made it to the men's room, and spent a few minutes there. Never felt relief like that.

---------------------
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 03:54:23 PM »

Andy C wrote:

"One other thing that bugs me is when I see a sci-fi picture and have to contend with a trio of university geeks laughing loudly at innapropriate times, to show everyone how ridiculous they thought something was."

EXACTLY!  I find that this often happens during movies that have some sort of "lore" to them.  Like the STAR WARS series.  Geeks who have nothing better to do than become experts in STAR WARS lore will sit there and say stuff like, "Actually, a Jedi Knight would never do something like that . . . " (as if Jedi Knight's really exist).  At moments like this, I wish I had a heavy board with a rusty nail in it.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned a movie that was out of focus.  This reminds me of when I went to see RAT RACE.  The movie was in focus, but the picture was out of frame.  No one else in the theater seemed to notice it (if they did, they were awfully quiet about it).  I thought the projectionist would correct it, but after about 5 minutes, it was still the same.  I had to go out into the lobby (one of the RARE occasions when I actually got out of my seat during a movie) and tell an usher to ask the projectionist to get the picture back into frame.

As for avoiding crowds, there is a fairly new theater inside a mall that I go to quite frequently.  On Saturdays, they usually start showing movies around 10:30 in the morning.  Many times, I have gone to this early show.  It is great because there are usually no more than 20 or 25 people in the theater (unless it is a rainy day), plus, the movie is usually over by 12:30 or 1:00, leaving the rest of the day free for me to do other things.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 04:11:27 PM »

I agree with everyone..I really hate the back of my chair getting kicked by the person behind me. I do not like to be confrontational ..I used to have a problem with that. I had to sit in the front row watching "The Matrix", I had a sore neck for a week. Once in awhile I will get up and take a bathroom break..I really hate doing that to people..I usually step on a few toes.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 04:27:05 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> As for avoiding crowds, there is a fairly new theater inside a
> mall that I go to quite frequently.  On Saturdays, they usually
> start showing movies around 10:30 in the morning.  Many times,
> I have gone to this early show.  It is great because there are
> usually no more than 20 or 25 people in the theater (unless it
> is a rainy day), plus, the movie is usually over by 12:30 or
> 1:00, leaving the rest of the day free for me to do other
> things.

Yep, the early shows are great. Matinees used to be my favourite way to kill a Sunday afternoon. The only problem I'm finding is that since there are now usually two matinees, I have a choice between a show at noon (tough if you go to church) or one at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. This requires me to find some other way to kill the afternoon while waiting for the movie which was originally supposed to kill the afternoon. By the time I get home, the whole day is shot. Used to be great when the average start for a matinee was around 2pm. You actually had time to go out for lunch and make the movie.

Oh, on the subject of technical screwups, a couple of years ago, we saw a movie that was playing on two or three screens at a local multiplex. I don't even remember what the movie was. Anyway, a bunch of people bought tickets, went into the theatre and waited....and waited....and waited. Finally, about ten minutes after the movie was supposed to start, the lights were shut off. Not lowered. Shut off abruptly. It was pitch dark. This starts a bit of a murmur going through the small crowd. The lights come back on and this teenager in a uniform comes walking around the corner, apparently to investigate the noise, and gets a look on his face like "holy crap, there are people in here." Turns out, there was not another showing scheduled in that particular theatre, in spite of what the ticket said. We all had to go across the hall and pack ourselves into a fuller theatre where the movie had already started.

---------------------
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2003, 03:11:17 AM »

How about when you go to a horror movie and some jackass thinks it's funny to scream as loud as he can right in your ear!? I REALLY wanted to kill him.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2003, 07:27:35 AM »

Ellie wrote:

> I agree with everyone..I really hate the back of my chair
> getting kicked by the person behind me.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that they can be kicking the back of an empty seat, and the vibration will travel to people further down. They can be bothering half the people sitting in the row in front of them and not even know it. That happens to me all the time. I feel the kicking, but the guy doing it is several seats over in the row behind me. Sometimes it's a challenge just to figure out who is doing it.

---------------------
Neville

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2003, 08:04:34 AM »

I explained this one before, long ago: I entered a theatre in a summer evening to watch "Windtalkers". The place was deserted, and poorly mantained (even the clerk looked at me like saying "You sure you want to visit the count's castle tonight?" when I ordered the ticket). To make a long story short, I noticed a rat on the other side of the aisle (I always seat in the nearest seat to it) munching on some popcorn, just before the lights went out. I spent the whole f**king movie regularly checking my feet and expecting to notice eating my shoe.

About bad seats, a friend of mine watched "JFK" on a front seat, and one at the extreme as well. Can't believe he could stand it.

Oh, Burgo, and I agree on every thing you've said. That should be a decalogue in every respectable theatre.

Post Edited (11-06-03 07:08)

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2003, 09:32:25 AM »

I went  to see The Wizard (don't ask - I was young and stupid, and I wanted to see the preview of Super Mario 3), and found myself seated just behind the Cleaver family.  It was like a bad stereotype of the fifties nuclear family transported into the Park Forest, Illinois Centre Movie Theater.  It was horrible.  Teh following are a few excerpts from their conversations:

"Gee, Dad, that Power Glove looks neat!  Can I have one?"
"Maybe for your birthday, son."
"YEA!!"

"Hey, son, guess what we're going to do after the movie?"
"Gee, I dunno, Dad.  What?"
"Come on and guess, son."
"Gee, Dad, I'm stumped..."  (ad infinitum.  Well, ad 5 minutes, anyway...)
"We're going to go to the ARCADE next door!"
"Really, Dad?  That would be neat!  You mean it?"
"I sure do, son."
"YEA!!"

The above is not an exaduration, nor am I paraphrasing.  It was a helluva long time ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.  Scarred me for life.

BTW - As you read the above, imagine it being said with a disturbing ammount of enthusiasm.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
FearlessFreep
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2003, 03:05:05 PM »

For some reason I confess I don't have much sympathy.  Much of what you have described in terms of getting the backs of seats kicked and loud people and such I use to experience pretty regularly, not in 8$ theater seats but in $200 airplane seats, four times a week
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2003, 09:20:53 AM »

anytime i've got to turn around and tell somone to shut up or stop kicking my seat is a problem. one it was a group of retarded kids and i felt bad as soon as i turned around.

about the bathroom, caffeine runs right through me so i usually have to hit the can one or two times if it's a three hour movie.

lately i've been getting to movies 5 to ten minutes after starting time because i'm sick of all the current trailers.

i always try to sit where no one is behind me. not too hard since i usually go to matinees or shows before 6.

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst movie-going experiences « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.