Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:26:56 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Toys from your childhood. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Toys from your childhood.  (Read 16035 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 06, 2003, 03:03:59 PM »

When I was younger I never really got into stuffed animals and I didn't have any security toys that comforted me. That is until my seventh or eighth birthday (I'd say around then) my dad got me this Godzilla two pack thing. The package was two 4 inch tall figuers of Godzilla and King Ghidorah. I remeber playing with those two some much, after several weeks I wanted more monsters for more monster battles. I saw something in the newspaper where Toys R Us was selling a huge package of the same figures. I saved up my money and bought the package (I remember back then there was a HUGE Godzilla toy craze, man those were the days) the package came with Super Godzilla (the same Godzilla figure except darker skinned, still cool.)Mecha-King Ghidora, King Ghidorah (can't have enough Ghidoras)Mechagodzilla(90's)Biolante,Mothera,Battra,
Angiuras,Mogeara,Rodan, and Gigan. Man I had so many battles with all these cool toys. Unlike other people's securtity toys, instead of putting them in the bed I put them on top of my dresser which was right by my bed. If I ever woke up in the middle of the night I could make out Godzilla's sillouthouse(mispelled) made out by the street light outside my room, procteting me from the evils of the world. AHHH the good old days.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 03:15:11 PM »

Legos were big for me, as were any number of plastic dinosaurs.  We would spend hours with those things, pretending that the yard was some prehistoric planet, filled with monsters.  Seems to me that we were hard on mom's flower beds, because that is where the monsters like to build their lairs.

Also, one of my favorite toys from childhood was the big plastic Godzilla, with the spring-loaded fist that shot across the room.  My dog, a boxer named "Jaws," knew to find cover when Godzilla stomped into the room.

Funny thing, now my office desk is covered with various monitor toys.  (My office here at home, that is.)  Looking up I see the same Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, and Ghidorah that you mention, along with a talking Dalek, Gamera and a Gaos, Yukon Cornelius, Simba, a Space Marine and his opposing Hydralisk, Diablo, Petrie, a kung-fu hamster, Riff-Raff, and a Nuhvok.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 04:20:23 PM »

I also have a load of plastic dinosaurs.  Those, along with Transformers and Dino-Riders (in the dinosaur category, but with laser cannons), and the requisite Godzilla figures.  Just recently a friend of mine visited Nebraska and brought me a Bandai Hypergodzilla figure of the GMK Baragon, which now sits atop my monitor.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 04:25:08 PM »

Some things never change.

My five-year-old son has over two hundred (we counted them) plastic dinosaurs, and the love-of-his-life toy is his BIG Godzilla.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 06:06:17 PM »

I had stuff that I could probably sell for a lot of money if I still owned it today.  I had:

* The STARSHIP ENTERPRISE play set, with all the action figures.

* The old G.I. Joe's . . . the ones with plastic hair, the ones with life-like hair and beard, the ones with Kung-Fu grip.  Plus, I had several play sets like CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB and the G.I. JOE TRAINING CENTER.

* MAJOR MATT MASON and some accessories.

* CAPTAIN ACTION

* THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN action figure

Games like:

* WHICH WITCH?

* KER-PLUNK

* RADAR SEARCH

* SPLIT LEVEL AGGRAVATION

* KING OIL

* BILLIONAIRE

Plus, I had this neat prehistoric village set.  It had plastic cliffs and trees and stuff, plus cave men and dinosaurs.  You could put the dinosaurs into this vice contraption and squeeze them into little cubes (about the size of Star Burst candies).  Then you could put the cubes into this little oven contraption and heat them up.  When they got heated, they would unfold back into their dinosaur shapes.

I also had this thing called a MOTORIZED MONSTER MAKER.  You poured goup into molds and then heated the molds.  It would make the goup turn into a rubbery substance shaped like heads and hands.  You then attached the heads and hands to these little motorized bodies that you could wind up with a key and the monsters would walk around.

I also had a CRACK FIRE rifle.  It was a toy gun that made an authentic rifle sound when you fired it.

I also had a space equipment set that was very popular at the time.  You had to buy each piece separately.  I had a space helmet (complete with visor), space shoes, a ray gun (actually a water pistol), and this long claw thing that you attached to your arm so that you could pick up moon rocks and stuff.

Wow . . . this is bringing back memories.  I think I'm going to cry.

Post Edited (11-06-03 17:07)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 06:35:57 PM »

I also had that giant Godzilla with the fist that shot off!
It also had a red lever on the back of its neck and when you pressed it down, Godzilla's tongue would come out and was covered with fake flames!

I also used to play with those huge Shogun Warriors.
They were cool!

Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 08:20:11 PM »

What did i have?
The original G.I. Joe. The Big one! And i loved lincon logs. Hey, any construction toy was cool to me.

And today....
In my room are such things as: A 14 inch Klingon D-7 heavy cruiser, the Enterprise -D, some Starfleet Battles mimi modles of a Fed Constitution class, a destroyer, and a dreadnaught. A Colonial Viper, and a 12 long X-wing. A Y.wing, B-wing, A-wing, a TIE fighter...hey, i'm startin' to see a pattern here!
Lots of model airplanes.....about 22, i think. And some assorted Mecha.
Me? Grow up?......Naaaaa!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 01:26:37 AM »

I had the original Barbie and Ken. I also had the whole Nancy Drew book series. I also had a viewmaster with Hansel & Gretal (sp)?,Land of the Giant and Popeye reels. I also had a whole collection of 45 records to play on my portable record player. I wish I had it all now.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 02:29:14 AM »

Not only did I have the Godzilla with the rocket fist and flame tounge, I also had the Rodan and (I think) the Raydeen robot.

My brother had a big sized Alien figure with working inner mouth.  He'd chase our cousin around with it.

Good days.

Cullen - who wishes he had the money for a talking Dalek...

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 04:51:40 AM »

I had about a dozen GI Joes, from the original Army man to life-like hair and Kung Fu grip.  My dad dug a huge area in the backyard for a level floor to an above-ground pool, and the resulting mountain of leftover sod was perfect for Joe to crawl, hide, attack.  
I also had the entire pantheon of Aurora monster models--Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, the Phantom of the Opera, the Gillman--populating the metal shelves in the corner of my bedroom.
I also had the original Rock 'em-Sock em Robots.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 04:57:16 AM »

Actually...instead of Kung-Fu grip I think it was deemed "Swivel Arm Battle Grip"

Hehe!
I remember that phrase was printed on the packaging.

TheFeen
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2003, 06:01:14 AM »

He-Man. Definately my favorite line of toys. I mean the old overly muscled, late 80's He-Man too, not the new one. Man they were great, i had two different He-mans (on with arm swivel attack thing) Skeletor, Mordak, Orko, Lockjaw, Whiplash, Man at Arms, the guy with the moustache, the beeguy, the power, Battle Cat (with armour), Snake Mountain, Castle Greyskull and a bunch of others that i cant remember. Happy days!

'Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?'
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2003, 11:28:18 AM »

My parents weren't into spending a lot of money on the latest toys, and I think they were more inclined toward buying things they understood. For example, they simply wouldn't buy me the Godzilla with the flame tongue and rocket fist, much as I wanted it. I did have a few Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica figures, but I mostly played with Tonka trucks, Hot Wheels and Fisher-Price Adventure People. Adventure People were cool. I had a bunch of figures, the TV Van, the Jeep, the canoe, the dirt bike.

My parents kept all my old toys around for the grandkids. Funny, many of the toys that survived my childhood (some of them surviving older siblings first) just didn't stand up to the abuse my brother's kids gave them. Kids today just don't seem to appreciate or value the toys the way we did. Having visited my brother one Christmas, and witnessed the annual shower of expensive playthings, I can understand it. These kids had a basement full of toys they could barely get around to playing with (they  mostly wanted to fight over the same one anyway), so why are they going to give a damn about a few cheap old toys at Grandma and Grandpa's?

I managed to liberate a few however, and since I built some pine shelves in the rec room for my movies, I've taken to using the toys to dress it up. A Cylon centurion guards my space adventures, and Rubik's Cube sits next to Cube, the movie. Not too long ago, at a toy sale I was covering for the paper, I picked up an Arnold Schwarzenegger figure (Last Action Hero), that now joins my collection of Arnie movies. I've been eyeing some of the really nice movie figures for sale in the local independent video store, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money. There's something a bit more special about using old toys anyway.

Post Edited (11-07-03 12:04)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Susan
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2003, 07:55:49 PM »

Kids today don't appreciate the toys as much because it's christmas 365 days a year for them. When I grew up I only got toys on xmas and bdays and they weren't the most expensive kickass toys either. The rest of the year there was that odd occasion when mom might say "Ok, pick out something for under a dollar" and I would sit there for an hour trying to decide on the best gift for a buck. But I swear I didn't even know a toy section existed in a store until I turned 10..my folks made sure not to take us there. Now i see kids all year round in the store yelling at their parents like THEY were the children saying "You buy me that! I want that! Grandpa gave me that $20 and you better let me get that because it's MY money". Hell I dont' think I had $20 all at one time in my hand until I was in my teens..lol

Anything in excess breeds spoiling. I usually find as gifts for kids I know cool things you can't find anywhere else. Like i'll go to some craft show and get a wooden puzzle box, something unique where the kid will think it's the best gift ever - because he's SEEN everything else on tv and at walmart and the novelty wears off on those items. Hell I thought the neatest dimestore gift when I was a kid were those paddle balls or even just the joy of a rubble ball with a swirly inside. Hours of fun! Not to mention those little comic books you could get at the drugstore by the checkout.

I saved alot of my old toys. Battlestar Galactica ships, incredible hulk doll..stuffed animals like Snoopy, garfield and ziggy. I have tons of old metal cars and plastic dinosaurs/farm animals. God knows what else in a box, some of it I have out for kids to play with when they visit. Stuff you can't find anywhere like tomy pocket games or these crazy dollar store gifts I got when I was 5. My toys rarely broke and when they did I fixed them or glued them back together..or just kept them broke. Because my parents wouldn't replace it with a new one, I wouldn't get a new toy because I was crying over this one.  I think alot of kids have toys these days and really dont play with them like we did, I think alot of it has to do with the fact that computer games, tv, and dvd's have really robbed kids of how to use their imagination. Sounds strange but when my godson was 3 I actually was startled to learn he had never EVER played imaginary games..so we spent the afternoon pretending the couch was a ship and we were pirates. Wow..what a concept eh? Now they got books that read FOR the kids...woopie

Jamtoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2003, 11:21:12 PM »

That very same 20" tall Shogun Warrior Godzilla sits on my dresser today.  (Along with the 20" tall '98 Ultimate Godzilla by Trendmasters, Metlar, Tendral and D'compose of the Inhumanoids toyline, a 10" tall Godzilla 2000 and 3 Opee fish from Star Wars Ep 1.)  I also have 5 Jumbo Power Ranger Megazords and the 2 20" Tall Trendmasters Voltrons (Classic and Stealth)  Just in case your wondering, I am a 32 year old father of 2 little girls and have been married for 8 years)

My wife is not too upset, she loves Godzilla too.  But she is into Star Trek Ships. My 3 year old daughter loves Godzilla.  When we watch "King Kong vs Godzilla"  She cheers Godzilla on.  "Yeah!  Fire Him! Fire Him!!  Yeah!!! (Fire Him is her way of telling Godzilla to breath fire on King Kong.)

When I was around 10 in the early 1980s, a local TV station back in Louisiana would show "Godzilla Theater" every Saturday morning.  I would sit my Big Godzilla beside me and we would watch the movie and the Godzilla Power Hour on NBC.  (Then we would go outside and stomp my brothers Hot wheels cars.  He seems to have lost all of his cars now.)

My Star Wars and 3-3/4" GI Joe figures always had trouble with Godzilla attacking them.  The AT-AT would lose every week, so would the Kraken from Clash of the Titans.

Seven years on MacGyver and you cannot figure this out? We got belt buckles, shoe laces, and a piece of gum. Build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud.  You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimmick, and now you are now 'Mr. MacUseless'.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Toys from your childhood. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.