Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:37:15 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Toys from your childhood. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Toys from your childhood.  (Read 16031 times)
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2003, 12:14:13 PM »

I had some tou guns that were alot like the real thing. One was a bolt action , like a Remington hunting riflr. called "The Magumba" Another was a copy of an M14. Had a magazine that loaded like the real gun, and had two part plastic cartriges. Put the bullet in the "Brass", work the bolt by hand, and let fly!
Naturaly...the bullets got lost, and mom would not buy new ones....
Craps.....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
BlackAngel
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2003, 05:57:06 AM »

I remember when I was young, I didn't have much.  But, my mother (bless her heart) was there to provide the play things that I asked for (and that she can afford).  The toys I was hooked on were the Master of the Universe, with Battle Armor He-Man and Skeletor.  I even had the plane (I just can't remember the name).  I also had those vehicles from Mask.  My father (who didn't help much) also bought me a cheap Voltron set.  It did have the five lions, but I had the ones that had no weapons(I even went through the whole "Go Voltron Force"schtick).  And my utlimate vice, were definitly the Transformers.  If I had my own office, or a room to call my own in my apartment, that room will be filled with nothing but the original, along with the Armada version and the Beast Machines.  Not that "Beast Wars" crap.

The toy I wanted but never had: G.I. Joe.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bulls**t, I still can't hear you, sound off like you got a pair.
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2003, 01:40:59 AM »

Oh man!!!! The memories are flying back!!! Licoln Logs, Transformers, G.I Joes, Masters of the Univeres, Hot Wheels, toy guns. We played war, cowboys and indians, tag, hide and go seek(greatest game ever!). I can remember me and my friends heading out on our bikes to see what was waiting for us out there. I also remember my bike coming in handy when I was trying to make it home by curfew. :)
Every winter I can remember we built a snow fort and even the occasional tunnel. Those came in handy during snowball fights. It's these very reasons(plus a few others) that I refuse to grow up. My hair will grey and my joints will tighten but dammit I'll always be a kid at heart. And nobody's taken that away from me.

Sorry fond memories and temper tantrums tend to make me rant. :)

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Susan
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2003, 01:11:32 AM »

The two toys of my childhood I wish I still had (I saved alot of my actual 'housetoys') were my big wheel - blue with the streamers ripped off and covered in Superhero stickers, and my first pair of rollerskates which were all metal and clamped on your shoes. I still remember running as fast as I could on those outside with grinding metal sounding off and sparks flying. I was just thinking of how I loved playing outside more than anything and what I did out there..swinging on that plastic tire.  I was a big tree climber and all the places we lived had GREAT tree's.

In the philippines we had this "green ball" tree that was close to star apples I guess..but something quite different. They were golfball size but quite firm. Once we gathered a ton of them..I mean a ton and laid them all on the street in front of the bus stop (conveniently located outside my door) where the city bus would drive by. We hid when we heard the bus coming (it's old clunky engine could be heard sputtering from blocks away) The street was a sea of balls and when the bus rolled up to the stop we had quite a laugh as balls went popping, crunching and flying everywhere..tires ran yellow/green and the street turned to mush. Sometimes on a bored day we would sit and hurl a ball at the bus as it passed to see if we could get it in one of the open windows. Yeah, we were bad...but the fun of being a kid was coming up with the dumbest things to get away with doing. Altho most of the time we spent hurling those things at eachother.

Post Edited (11-15-03 00:13)
JohnL

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2003, 03:41:18 AM »

>The two toys of my childhood I wish I still had (I saved alot of my >actual 'housetoys') were my big wheel

I had a  couple of those (the wheels would always develope holes), but I had something that was even more fun. It was a six-wheeled thing called (I think) a Wild Ride(r?). You sat in it and there was a hand crank on each side. Spin them both the same way and you went forward or back, but if you spun them in opposite directions, you could spin in place. Anyone else ever seen one of these?
Jim H
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2003, 02:56:10 AM »

Andrew - did you ever play StarCraft online?
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2003, 08:43:30 AM »

Oh man, I was a total militant! I had a complete arsenal of toy guns. My favorite were an old(inoperative) pump action air rifle that had been my dad's. I cut the stock down to make a crude pistol grip, it looked totally wicked. I also had a Red Ryder lever action Daisy. If you cocked the lever(unloaded of course!) it would take out all the tension in the mech, thereby enabling you to do the Rifleman spin, like Chuck Connors in the tv show! I even drove a bunch of nails into the inside of my closet door, so that I could properly display my toy guns, ala Rutger Hauer in Wanted:Dead or Alive, my Pop wasn't pleased.

Also had a load of the little plastic GI Joe figures, they were cool because by taking out the screw in their back, you could remove the arms, legs, head, and re attach them to another GI Joe torso, mix and match action figures! Of course I had tons of Star Wars toys, which I threw out, 'cause I'm a bonehead. And I had two Indiana Jones action figures, Indy and the gestapo guy. Had to ditch Indy though, I used one of the old Great-Start Microwavable breakfast trays as a tomb for Indy, without cleaning out all the pancake syrup, so when I  allowed Indy to escape from the tomb(by taking the duct-tape off the top)he emerged all sticky and reeking of maple goodness. Never was able to totally clean him off.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2003, 08:57:54 PM »

John wrote:

>I had a couple of those (the wheels would always develope holes), but I had >something that was even more fun. It was a six-wheeled thing called (I think) a >Wild Ride(r?). You sat in it and there was a hand crank on each side. Spin them >both the same way and you went forward or back, but if you spun them in >opposite directions, you could spin in place. Anyone else ever seen one of >these?

Yes JohnL, I don't know the name of it, but my brother had it. Six wheels with the hand cranks kinda like a tank without the tracks and I had the Big Wheel about the same time period.

Wow, how could I forget my Big Wheel. That was one of my greatest things. I loved spinning out and yes the wheel would in the end start to break apart. We use to race our different type vehicles down a hill. The Big Wheel won usually unless a bike was in the race.

Speaking of bikes my first one have the banana seat and long handle bars with a back wheel generator for the light in the front. When I first rode the new bike I was going down the street and and everyone was there to send me off on my first journey. Well, they all started to wave and yell and I would wave and look back and the next thing you know I ran straight into a parked car on the side of the rode for my first spin on my newest bike.

Also I remember the all day war games that seem to go on for years and years. I would love doing the death fall (or death scene). We would map out the whole neighborhood and start our patrol. Sometimes we made the playing field to big and we could never find the enemy and would come home only to find them also home watching TV. As we became older the war games took one a far more serious battles.

JohnL

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2003, 07:26:02 AM »

>Speaking of bikes my first one have the banana seat and long handle bars

I had a bike like that. My father got it for me one year on my birthday. I'm not sure why as I wasn't allowed to go anywhere on it. That was comfortable to ride. I never could get used to normal/adult bikes with the tiny little seat and handlebars so far forward and low that my back started to gurt just bending over to reach them. I'd end up all bent over and my legs would hit my elbows as I pedalled.
devil clown
New Visitor

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2003, 08:36:52 AM »

I know its sad so sad.
oh i aint said which toy yet have i well i used to own a glorious (i know i carnt spell) Robocop figure, even had the car. ah the `fun i had seeing how many ways i could cash the car. as all good things must end i finaly relised that Robocop was camp and so me met a firey end.

"ive only got two things in this world my word and my balls
and i dont break either of them for anyone" Scarface
Don
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2004, 12:50:42 AM »

Hi:
I read your post on your childhood toys and saw you had the Motorized Monster Maker by Topper Toys!!  I hope you can check out my website (very nontechie/homemade) dedicated to this toy and if you like, to Please sign the guestbook :-)  I had many of the same toys you did and enjoyed them as well.

www.geocities.com/toppermonstermaker/index.html

Take care,

Don

Foywonder
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2004, 12:58:46 AM »

I too was into anything Godzilla as a kid but for me me childhood toylines that I was all about were:

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE (this was the big one for me)
G.I. JOE
M.A.S.K.
BATTLE BEASTS
INHUMANOIDS
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2004, 02:01:32 PM »

I was always into models.  I had models of all the Star Trek stuff, Space 1999 Eagle, Cygnus from the Black Hole, and on and on.  And military models of WWII tanks and stuff.

And I still haven't grown up.  I still build models of Trek stuff, though they're much higher quality now :)  And I still build models of military subjects.  You can really spend some money on military models nowdays since a lot of us "adults" are into it.  You buy the kit, then the photo-etched brass detailing set, then the real metal individual link tracks, the aluminum gun barrel, an extra set of decals, maybe even a book full of reference photos.  You can drop well over a hundred bucks on a single model.   And of course you're not a real modeler if you don't have half a basement full of partially built models.
George
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2004, 08:53:02 AM »

I miss only one toy from my youth..................Micronauts.

I still have my Dark Tower game, which I love.

I also have all of my Star Wars toys, about 25,000 baseball cards and about 1,000 comic books.

Living in the past????

YOU BETCHA!!
Darkautumn
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2004, 02:56:54 PM »

Wow. So many great old memories from reading these posts!  My big thing as a kid was dinosaurs, Godzilla, and anything monster or Japanese SF related...plus the requisite "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" stuff.  Of all the toys and figures I had, though, I think the  most versatile for sheer "playability" were the "Micronauts." I spent hours making up a whole adventure-filled universe for those little guys! Plus, with a little imagination, they also doubled as pretty much ANYONE I could think of; I used micronauts as James Bond, Dr. Who, Marvel superheroes, any human characters in my monster games-they were great! Eventually, though, alot of them broke and those that didn't I sold at a garage sale. I managed to save a few items from my childhood; I still have this cool rubber bendy "Godzilla" that's about 6-inches tall, from around 1978. It's actually a better representation of him then that big "Shogun Warriors" toy from around the same era. I also have three plastic, wind-up monsters that are clearly Japanese-inspired, but as far as I know, are not representative of any actual film or TV "kaiju." My mom presented them to me out of the blue when I was maybe about 7, sometime in the first half of the seventies. Like I said, they're wind-up, but they also have a little flint-device in the mouth that would shoot out an impressive stream of sparks (that really looked like lightning!) The flint has worn down on two of them, but one still works (although the sparking is considerably weaker then back in the day.) One of the beasties is red, with kind of a frill-like collar, an angled horn on the nose, and is highlighted in metallic silver and purple. Another is painted metallic blue, with an orange underbelly. It has rows of large and small spikes along the back, arranged in the same way as the sixties incarnation of Godzilla. A unicorn-like horn protrudes from the top of the head. The last is green, with silver and metallic blue paint, and kind of vaguely resembles "Gappa the Triphibian Monster" (vaguely.) Does anyone else remember these awesome little guys? Occasionally, one will pop up on ebay, but nobody seems to know the name of the company that made them, the name of the product itself, or the names of the monsters (if they had any.) They're extremely well-made and detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Toys from your childhood. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.