Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:47:07 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Old Beta Players « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Old Beta Players  (Read 5372 times)
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2003, 12:36:18 PM »

Susan wrote:

>  My folks still have their first VCR, even tho it's broken and a tape is
> stuck in it..I guess when you pay that much for something it's
> hard to let go. Hell they still have their original stereo
> equipment from the early 70's. They just don't make things as
> durable and dependable as they used to.
>

My parents still have their  first Microwave! A huge, great, bulky beast circa 1982. They've kept it around because" Hey, still works like new". But, it doesn't!! You see, you have to puse like a bastard on the buttons, and it continues microwaving even when the door is open! I'm certain that's not healthy!

Now...as to the topic. My old man bought a Beta around '85-'86, convinced it was the wave of the brave new future. He'd rent a title on beta and copy onto vhs. Seems like it was around '87 or '88 when you just couldn't find a beta flick, either in shops or catologues. Their beta machine is long gone, but for some reason, they still have a beta copy of Blue Thunder!!!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Susan
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2003, 01:40:34 PM »

>>My parents still have their first Microwave! A huge, great, bulky beast circa 1982<<

Mine kept theirs until just a few years back - that thing was great and I haven't seen microwaves that big since (which is too bad since they are generally too small as it is) They bought one of those radiation detectors that you could hold against it to see if it was leaking- which it never was. It worked perfectly until they got rid of it too, the only reason they did is because they wanted to get one of those that sat over the stove.  The funny thing is I remember when we first got that microwave it was so novel me and my brother had mischevious shanannagans with putting stuff in there we weren't supposed to.

>>My old man bought a Beta around '85-'86, convinced it was the wave of the brave new future.<<

Really? I thought they were on their way OUT in the mid 80's

Jim H
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2003, 04:35:12 PM »

Beta was starting to lose ground in the mid 80s, but it really didn't start to totally die until the early 90s.
regan
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2003, 05:39:28 PM »

Here in Australia Beta went out early 80's - but yes, Beta is the better. Learnt this at an appenenticeship at a tv  station - where they still use Beta.
kenman
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2004, 10:26:33 PM »

if anyone can help me my wifes grand father needs a beta video tape plaer. he has soo many tape & wishes to watch them. it would be too costly to convert them.
is there a site that has some new or used plaers? you would think sny has a warehouse packed with these 1950 john deer tracktors. please help an old man.
thanks, kenman.

Michael
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2004, 11:46:19 PM »

Deej wrote:
> still works like new". But, it doesn't!! You see, you have to
> puse like a bastard on the buttons, and it continues
> microwaving even when the door is open! I'm certain that's not
> healthy!

Deej,

This is very dangerous!  They have a bad disconnect switch in the door
that they should fix.  A guy on another forum accidently microwaved his
hand for just a few seconds because of a problem like this and severely
damaged his hand.

I know, you wouldn't think a few seconds would do any damage but
his hand is really messed up!

Just thought you should know,
Mike
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2004, 01:45:48 AM »

>if anyone can help me my wifes grand father needs a beta video tape plaer. he
>has soo many tape & wishes to watch them. it would be too costly to convert
>them.
>is there a site that has some new or used plaers? you would think sny has a
>warehouse packed with these 1950 john deer tracktors. please help an old man.

Can't help you out with where to buy a player, but if he does get one, I'd recommend that you hook up some other type of recorder (VHS, DVD etc) and have him copy each tape as he watches it. Eventually, you won't be able to get a Beta machine anywhere.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2004, 05:52:33 AM »

My parents still have the Beta machine that they bought me for Christmas some where between 1979 and 1981.  The machine weighs about 1,000 pounds and is an eye-sore.  My mother wants to get rid of it, but my father won't part with it.  He saves everything.  He still has a stack of electronics trade magazines from the 1960s!  Anyway, he has about 6 movies on Beta (all recorded from TV, I think).  He keeps saying, "I still watch these tapes occasionally." (He doesn't).  Someday, that machine will be worth $1 million, and we will all consider my father to be a genius for saving it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Yaddo42
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2004, 05:53:29 PM »

Glad now my parents made the VHS choice when the VCR wars were raging, they already made the mistake of going with 8-tracks rather than cassettes when we bought a home stereo. I remember our video store was one of the few that had a better selection of beta movies than VHS, except most of the kids videos were VHS. I even remember when they had their "great beta tape sell off" around 86 or 87.

I loved the "Cowboy Bebop" episode where that tape came for Faye and Spike and Jet had to go hunting around in the bowels of some building on the ruined Earth looking for a VCR, thinking they were all the same when they found them. Only to have to go back and get another one, once Ed pointed out they had the wrong format.
Mitch McAfee
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2004, 07:51:14 PM »

">Here in Australia Beta went out early 80's - but yes, Beta is the better. Learnt this >at an appenenticeship at a tv station - where they still use Beta."

Regan, I grew up in Melbourne & my Dad bought a Betamax VCR in 1984 & we continued renting Beta movies up until at least 1988.

Yes you are sort of right in saying television stations use Beta..... except they don't use the domestic Beta like we all did in the 80's, which was Betamax BTW, the industry standard for well over a decade is/was BetaCAM SP, which I still shoot on occassionally (I'm a freelance cinematographer). The tapes look the same, they just run at a faster speed.

Can I ask what was your apprenticeship?
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2004, 07:16:23 AM »

Beta would've been the better choice had Sony licensed the technology, but they decided to go the way Apple did and stay proprietary.  This is why it died. JVC licensed to everybody.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
john
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2005, 06:07:38 PM »

does anyone know where i can find a beta player??  i need to play 2 old beta tapes i have
Menard
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2005, 06:27:35 PM »

Flea markets, vendor's malls, and eBay are places I would check. Since the older Beta players are generally heavy, be prepared to pay hefty shipping if you get one on eBay.

You might also check at Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift stores, or any thrift store like them.

Post Edited (04-10-05 18:28)
Archivist
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2005, 06:28:28 PM »

In the early 80's my Dad and I would go to the video store on a regular basis, usually each week, and borrow some action blockbuster, weird scifi or B-grade martial arts flick (my Dad has cool taste in movies).

Over a period of a few months,  I noticed that certain movies were ONLY on Beta.

"Dad," I said, "Maybe we should get a Beta video?  We could watch THIS movie!"

"No way," he snorted.  "The titles are limited and Beta is on its way out.  You just watch, it'll be gone in another few years."

We never bought a Beta, but we did have a very large National VHS that worked for years and years after we got it.

Now there are DVD HDD recorders that do everything I've ever wanted to do, with the exception of recording three stations at once.  Cut, edit, super fast forward, instant playback, no messing around with video tapes, no quality degradation over repeated viewing, near-instant permanent backup on DVD, preview of whatever you've recorded, plug in the DVcam and burn home movies for everyone...

Ah, technology...

~Archivist~
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Old Beta Players « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.