Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:11:50 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Gratituous Product Placement? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Best Gratituous Product Placement?  (Read 5698 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2003, 09:30:02 PM »

>Speaking of Dr. Pepper.

How about Godzilla 1985? Pretty much every scene showing Raymond Bur in the military HQ had a Dr. Pepper machine in the background. I actually expected Godzilla to pick up a giant bottle and take a swig!
Susan
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2003, 09:41:01 PM »

Baby Ruth's stunning appearance in Caddyshack

not really shameless tho..

Post Edited (11-11-03 20:41)
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2003, 10:33:51 PM »

Return of the killer tomato's...the big advertisement scene, ha ha.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Eirik
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2003, 01:02:47 AM »

I always thought that little walking turd and his Reeces Pieces was the most gratuitous of all.

Susan - Given the context, I somehow doubt that Baby Ruth sanctioned or paid for the appearance of their candy bar in Caddyshack :)

Actually, I don't mind product placement so much.  People in the real world are surrounded by corporate logos.  Looking around my kitchen, I see six.  I'd rather see someone in a movie crack a Coors or a Budweiser than a generic-looking blue can with "BEER" in big white letters.  However, I do respect Tarantino for taking the time to make up some brand names (such as Red Apple cigarettes) and use other brand names that don't exist any more (like the cereal Eric Stoltz was eating in Pulp Fiction).
dean
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2003, 08:16:14 AM »

there's product placement in every film, its just a matter of how it is used, such as subway in happy gilmore.  

i remember that in final fantasy in the first scene in new york there is a big pespi sign that gets lit up by the flare that aki shoots in the sky, the camera lingers on it for a second too long.  that and one character is drinking a can that i think was meant to be pepsi

we had a tv show here downunder called "the block" it was a renovating reality show, yet all the contestants ate a certain brand of food, used a certain specific brand of power tool and bought most of their furniture from a certain store.  it was the most shameless product placement, that was forced down your throat at every opportune moment.  very frustrating [thank god i didn't watch it often, i would have had to add a few names to my 'to kill' list]
Susan
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2003, 09:08:03 AM »

>>Susan - Given the context, I somehow doubt that Baby Ruth sanctioned or paid for the appearance of their candy bar in Caddyshack :)<<

Wouldn't they have to for that kind of scene? lol

Neville

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2003, 10:09:09 AM »

Has anyone mentioned "Mission to Mars"? As Liz pointed out, not only they put M&Ms on it, they also made them one of the most important plot points in the movie.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2003, 04:53:02 PM »

Ah yes, Mission to Mars, where a DNA molecule made of M&Ms provides a vital clue. We also can't forget the way they located the hull breach with Dr. Pepper.

Mac and Me was probably one of the more shameless product pushing movies. Had Ronald McDonald right in it.

Ever notice that almost everybody in movies seems to be using a Macintosh computer?

The product placement scene in Return of the Killer Tomatoes, mentioned by Dunners, was probably the funiest thing in that movie. Interesting that by making fun of product placement, you can actually make it more effective. You can shove the product right in people's faces and talk about it, and people will actually enjoy it and remember it. Another example would be Little Nicky and Popeye's Chicken.

I do agree that modest product placement does make a movie more realistic. Generic products and unfamiliar brands can be distracting, depending on how they are used. Still, this can also be used to great effect if it suits the movie. All of the generic products in Repo Man really add a nice surreal touch.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
raj

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2003, 05:36:41 PM »

Not a product placement, but the scene in Dr. Strangelove where they have to shoot a soda machine in order to get coins for the payphone gave one of the best lines I've ever heard "You're going to have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

Who'd a thunk coke was that powerful.
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2003, 09:05:25 PM »

Here's a few: Police Story-During the fight in the mall Jackie Chan comandeers a motorcycle and rams it into a thug and then crashes into a glass display case. In the background is a big sign for Mitsubishi.

Wheels On Meals-During a car chase a car comes FLYING over two cars infront of it. It landes does a 180 and stops. An old lady gets out and gripes at the other drivers for being maniacs and how lucky she is to have a great car. Then there's a close up of the car's grill and the Mitsubishi logo is well displayed!

The Fifth Element-The cop car crashing into the GIGANTIC McDonalds truck!

I happen to think product place meant is hilarous I'm all for it being in movies.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2003, 09:06:52 PM »

> Ever notice that almost everybody in movies seems to be using a
> Macintosh computer?
>

Yes, apparently Apple Computers can interface with alien systems!!!! Thank you Jeff Goldblum.....

> All of the
> generic products in Repo Man really add a nice surreal touch.

As I recall, they couldn't get any companies to sponsor REPO MAN - hence why you saw beer as BEER and chips as CHIPS and so forth.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
JohnL

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2003, 09:10:58 PM »

In Total Recall, Arnold and Sharon Stone fight in front of a Pepsi display.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2003, 11:54:45 AM »

Neon Noodle wrote:

> As I recall, they couldn't get any companies to sponsor REPO
> MAN - hence why you saw beer as BEER and chips as CHIPS and so
> forth.

The movie is actually better because of it. Nice that instead of trying to hide the lack of real brand names, they chose to play it up. In Repo Man, it really works.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2003, 07:47:19 PM »

Cast Away...the entire film is a huge f**k-all FedEx commercial!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Gratituous Product Placement? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.