Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:04:26 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best sequel? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Best sequel?  (Read 6043 times)
Mofo Rising
« on: August 02, 2001, 02:28:53 AM »

Somebody asked me this the other day, and I didn't have a good answer.

What's the best sequel?

I answered HOUSE II, but that was a lame movie reference.  What do you think is the best sequel?  Or even a sequel that was superior to the original?

Note: The original STAR WARS trilogy doesn't count, as that was all one big movie spread out over three.  Otherwise, in my opinion, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK would be the tops.  EPISODE ONE is the true sequel, even though it's a prequel, and it falls victim to the sequel effect.

So what's the best sequel?  POLICE ACADEMY 4: CITIZENS ON PATROL?
AndyC
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2001, 04:11:39 AM »

Never ask me to pick a favourite. You'll get a list every time.

Three that immediately spring to mind are "Evil Dead 2," "Die Hard with a Vengeance" and "The Road Warrior" for sequels I enjoyed more than the original.

I still haven't decided, but I think Aliens could be considered as good as Alien.

Do the Bond films count as sequels?
Johnny Stakkato
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2001, 05:53:34 AM »

Star Trek 2:The Wrath of Khan is far superior to the slow as hell first one. I really loved Ricardo Montalban in that one,especially his huge fake chest and the ear centipede thingies.

Superman 2 is in my eyes better than the first one,pacier with  more outstanding villains.

Definitely Evil Dead 2,which blew me away as a teenager. Although the first is cited as a classic, it is too damn slow for my liking, and frankly amatuerish.Raimi really found his wings with the sequel.
Cullen
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2001, 05:54:06 AM »

"Bride of Frankenstien" and "Daughter of Dracula" would have to be on the list (both are better than their predecessors).
peter johnson
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2001, 11:18:24 AM »

Good choices all!
The one that really stands out to me is Val Lewton's sequel to "The Cat People", "Curse of the Cat People".  "Curse" takes the direction from the first into a decidedly more fantastic and supernatural realm, with what I still consider the best and most eerie use of light and shadow on snow I've seen in any movie ever.  Is it a ghost story?  A madness and Alzheimer's story?  A story of imaginary companions?  A kid's movie?  An adult movie about childhood?  It works on all these levels.
While the first could be seen as a very good were-cat picture, and definitely has some depth (eg.  The very first use in sound film of the initial noise that turns into something else/scream turns into bus brakes in the next scene), the second has a true dream-like quality on a low budget that makes it one of the best B (As in opening act for the A picture) films ever made.
Chadzilla
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2001, 11:43:17 AM »

Bride of Frankenstein is considered by many to be the best sequel ever made.
The Godfather Part 2 is another brilliant sequel.  Trivia - it's the first sequel to ever use the Part 2 moniker.
Aliens is just as good as first movie.
Godzilla Vs Biollante is an excellent linear follow up to Godzilla 1984 (aka The Return of Godzilla) and is actually superior to its predecessor.
Shawn Metcalf
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2001, 12:41:42 PM »

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. The original was awful , the sequel was superb.

And I have to admit I've never understood the disqualification some people give "The Empire Strikes Back". It's another movie. It came out after Star Wars. It has the same characters and setting. That makes it a sequel to me. It keeps telling a story, does it? So do the PotA sequels. So do most sequels.
Hero-man and Sidekick-boy
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2001, 12:55:01 PM »

Evil Dead 2
Ringneck
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2001, 01:45:30 PM »

I think Die Hard 3, Aliens, and the 3rd Indiana Jones were pretty great sequels.  I also liked Back to the Future part 2 and 3 alot but think 3 was the only one better than the first.  Part 2 showed a horrible future dominated by the 80 pop culture.  I fought my way through it the first go-round and DONT want to have to do it again..............................

BradLaGrange
Steve.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2001, 02:03:47 PM »

Evil Dead 2, Road Warrior, Dawn Of The Dead.
Raffles
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2001, 07:19:11 PM »

I hated God of Gamblers.  It was cutesy and annoying but the sequel rocked.  Both starring Chow yun fat
Squishy
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2001, 04:09:04 AM »

Damn, Raffles, I just got the DVD of God of Gamblers Returns today. I loved it when I saw it in the theatres. Haven't seen the first one though.

(All potential viewers should be warned that God of Gamblers Returns must not be confused with God of Gamblers 2, which does NOT star Chow Yun Fat, and which everyone seems to hate.)
Stupid Jacob
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2001, 01:32:28 PM »

Evil Dead 2. Nuff said. Zombies, chainsaws, gore, a smartass hero, and a chick with freaky eyes.
Raffles
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2001, 10:15:53 PM »

that is the one I was thinking of, part 3 I guess.  Have you seen Dangerous encounters of the first kind? It was also released as Don't play with fire.  It's incredible.  Really raw, Tsui Harks first.
Squishy
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2001, 04:20:38 AM »

Actually, God of Gamblers Returns or God of Gambler's Return IS the second one--the Chinese title comes complete with a "2"--but there's the other God of Gamblers 2, in which the "2" only occurs in the English title.

Ow, me 'ead 'urts.

(Just to make sure we're talking about the same film: in Returns, the hero is brought out of retirement when the "Devil of Gamblers" challenges him--and murders his wife and unborn child. This "Devil" does a sick little 'Blofeld' bit, complete with a fluffy white cat--one that he pitches out the window of his speeding limo when it scratches him. Hey!)  

I'm afraid the only Tsui Hark film I've seen to date is Blade (not the Marvel Comics/Wesley Snipes movie); I haven't even seen his U.S. movies. One of these days, though...

By the way! Returns director Wong Jing also made Last Hero In China, an utterly b***hin' action-comedy that is one of my all-time favorites. It used to be available cut to shreds as Deadly China Hero, but finally you can get the uncut orignal form--on VHS and DVD--from worldvideo.com. Pride of my library! Let's take risk.

hkflix.com
worldvideo.com
taisengentertainment.com
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best sequel? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.