Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:53:44 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Alien 3 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Alien 3  (Read 17694 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: November 15, 2003, 12:30:28 AM »

Susan mentioned "Alien 3" in the other thread about aliens.  I can't recall ever seeing a thread about this one so I thought I'd write a few things about it.  

I thought the 3rd Alien was ok.  I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either.  I, like many others, do feel that it is the weakest entry in the series.  It just didn't grab ahold of me and pull me in like the other films did.

The things I didn't like were all the bald heads (because of lice) and the fact that they had virtually no weapons.  It just doesn't seem like an "Alien" movie without weapons to kill them with.
And they killed off Newt!  That right there was very disappointing but it was intentionally meant to show that the aliens ultimately had taken from Ripley everything that she held dear, even her own life in the end.  
I felt it would've been much better with Newt & Ripley together in the prison facility.  A bald Newt....hehe!  Then she'd have something in common with her "K.C." toy doll head.  (Was it bald?  I can't remember...my VCR broke the other day so I can't pop the tape in to check...dammit!)
As for Hicks, he was a cool soldier but I understand them killing him off the way they did.
Charles S. Dutton was also excellent in his supporting role.

I also liked the fact that the aliens are capable of "impregnating" a species other than humans as demonstrated by the "dog" alien.  
That was original.  

One thing that bothered me though was the fact that the facehugger impregnated Ripley while in hypersleep but aren't they supposed to die after they do so?  It was established in the first movie that they did.  
Not in this film.  
It lived to impregnate the dog.  The only thing I can think of is that there were 2 of them.  One to get Ripley and one to get the dog.

The film was a modest effort at best.

What do you think?

Post Edited (11-15-03 03:18)
daveblackeye15

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 04:08:24 AM »

I LIKE Alien 3 a lot, I'd say about as much as Alien and Aliens. Why? Because they had to kill of the Alien with only their BRAINS, in the first movie they had two flame throwers, though they didn't do much they were still cool weapones, and when I watch the people sealing off the doors It's still quite good tension wise. The new alien looks diffrent ,that's a nice plus though I really hate it when animals die in movies (especially dogs). The movie had a even darker and mooder and more..secluded feeling , very alone. It's Alien Resurrection that's the weakest entry, that movie is dull and crappy (I admit the Aliens did look quite good in that movie but we barly saw them.) All in all Alien 3 totally stands in the front line with Alien and Aliens (Alien Resurrection is in the fourth row behind Alien 1,2, and3) That's what I think

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
JohnL

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 04:32:39 AM »

>(I admit the Aliens did look quite good in that movie but we barly saw them.)

They looked like they were covered in fudge.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 04:35:48 AM »

I'm with Dave, in the group that thinks Alien 3 kicks near as much ass as the first one.  I think it's at least as good, maybe even better than Aliens.
To run down ASH's list in order:  They had more for weaponry in 3 than they did in the first one.  Loads and loads of explosives vs. a few flamethrowers and a cattle prod?  No contest.
Newt was annoying as hell.  She was a Kenny plain and simple, good riddance.
They address the alien-from-dog stuff a little more in the comics, where they talk about how the aliens take on the traits of whatever creature they impregnate, which is why there are aliens with tusks in Alien vs. Predator.
And I think the computer talks about there being multiple life forms on board, so there's more than one facehugger.  The queen cranked out eggs pretty fast, remember.  She had plenty of time to lay a few before she iced Bishop.
Alien 3 is all about the atmosphere, and as Dave said, what a great creepy isolated atmosphere it is.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 06:54:43 AM »

I thought it was utter crap, worthless from begining to end.  You boil everything away, and all you have is another bad slasher movie, where the (most) heroes of the previous film are wasted in the first few minutes.  It was cheap, lazy, and unnecessary.  

It didn't improve on either movie, had a ton of dislikable characters, and thought itself far cleverer than it actually was.  (The fourth one had the same problem)

Of course, I'm a big fan of The Toxic Avenger, Maximum Overdrive, and the American Godzilla, so what do I know?  (On the flip side, I'd never say that any of those weregood films...)

Brother Ragnarok wrote:

> And I think the computer talks about there being multiple life
> forms on board, so there's more than one facehugger.  The queen
> cranked out eggs pretty fast, remember.  She had plenty of time
> to lay a few before she iced Bishop.

I'm not sure she could.   Remember, she had that whole set-up attached to her when she was laying eggs in Aliens.  That couldn't have been window dressing; if the mother could just pop them out, why didn't she?

She might have been able to scoop a couple of eggs up when she went after Ripley, but that wasn't shown.  But let's assume she did.

How long does it take to double check the transport ship, just to be sure there were no more eggs?  It's not like the mother had the run of the ship to hide them like a malign Easter Bunny.  If I were in Ripley's place, I'd have gone over the damn thing just to make sure it was really over.

Having her not do this paints her as an incompetent, which is something the first two movies did not do.  It's yet another reason why I can't stand the movie.  (I actually pretend that the final two movies take place in an alternate universe, but that's because I'm an utter geek.)

Any further thought is, of course, welcome.  Bear in mind it's been years since I've seen the film, and I'm bound to screw up here and there on specifics.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Alexis Machine
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 10:12:12 AM »

Its definatly the weakest in the series. I love all David Fincher's film, apart from this, his debut. The production of  Alien 3 has been well documented as being one of the messiest in history, Script rewrites, production wrangles, story changes, arguments between Fincher and FOX, Weaver backing Fincher and generally some really bad ideas from conception. A prison planet? Bad idea. Religion? Bad idea. Killing off Hicks and Newt? Bad idea. Only giving Bishop a small role? Bad idea. It wrecked all the brilliant things that were established in the first two, and led to the bastard offspring that was "Ressurection".
Eirik
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 12:39:40 AM »

To settle the alien impregnator issue: Alien3 clearly shows two eggs stuck to some remote corner of the ship by webs or slime in the beginning sequence.  So there were two eggs.

I think the Alien movies are kinda like the Star Wars movies.  The first was a classic, the second was excellent, but in a different way from the first, the third was a let down but still had some good elements, and the fourth was awful.

What I liked about Alien3: Some of the inmate characters were cool and cracked me up.  So did the warden.  The idea of them being up against this thing unarmed was an inspired one IMO, even though they copped out by giving the inmates the explosives.  The chase scene where they were locking doors behind the thing to trap the alien was very good.

What I didn't like about Alien3: I'll probably catch flak for this, but I always thot Ripley was the dullest and least inspiring character in the first two movies.  Having her be the only holdover was a bad idea.  Hicks should have made it and Bishop should have been more intact.  While I liked some of the inmate characters, I hated others: specifically those who survived the longest.  The alien looked fake because CGI was in its infancy.  And having Ripley as a Christ figure was a bad idea in a laugh-out-loud kinda way.

Alien3 was not horrible, but it wasn't in the same class as the first two.
Jim H
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 04:31:40 PM »

" Alien3 clearly shows two eggs stuck to some remote corner of the ship by webs or slime in the beginning sequence. So there were two eggs."

Get a screen cap of this.  I didn't see it...

One cut sequence shows the guy with the shovel picking up the face hugger, which is FAR larger then a normal one - it is a super face hugger, which can implant in multiple victims.

http://dvd.ign.com/news/32602.html?fromint=1

That has a reference to that cut scene.  Apparently it is on the new Quadrilogy 9 disc set.
regan
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 06:07:00 PM »

I never liked he first one and never considered it a classic  - as everyone else does.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 08:32:43 PM »

I liked the ALIEN 2 film when I first seen it. It was quite intense.

Wasn't ALIEN 3 the one were they have these born again Christian types in a prison colony out in space?  I liked this concept. Christians in space !  You never seen that in a film before. You have to wonder about Sci-Fi and the idea that Christianity dosn't exist in the future. Even better than that try the flip side......... Imagine telling a born again Christian that they must "witness" the gospel to intelligent alien lifeforms. Not sure if they could deal with it. (at least the ones that I known couldn't). Most would insist that alien life dosn't exist or if it does that it would be demonic. Of course for myself I can imagine alien life seeing us as food, or just plain be anti-human, or using us as slaves or just eliminating us for our planets resources.

Jim H
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 03:03:16 AM »

My favorite was the ridiculous Catholic space colony in the Ender's Game novel sequels.  It's not that I think it is ridiculous that there would BE a Catholic space colony (Eventually, the government in the novels lets basically any organized group, apparently, start colonies), I just found it ridiculous that they were as ignorant, prejudiced and violent as some Catholic villages from the 14th century.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 04:15:16 AM »

Well I disagree with you that this was the weakest movie in the Alien series.I view Alien Resurection as the weakest.As for your complaints about a lack of weapons, if you remeber in the first one they didn't have any weapons either except for a make shift cattle prod and if I remeber right a make shift flame thrower, I might be wrong on the last one though.

Smells like popcorn and shame
JohnL

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 09:44:40 AM »

>She might have been able to scoop a couple of eggs up when she went after
>Ripley, but that wasn't shown. But let's assume she did.

The biggest problem I have with that is how did the queen get on the ship? Ripley and Newt jumped up on the dropship ramp, which closed after them. You'd think Ripley would notice an 18 foot alien jumping on behind them, plus I didn't get the impression that there was all that much room inside the dropship, just the main bay for the APC, some seats and the cockpit, which doesn't leave many places for a giant alien to hide. From the way it descends after skewering Bishop, it seemed like it was hiding in one of the landing gear wells, but then it should have either been crushed by the landing gear retracting, or caused the gear to malfunction. I highly doubt that the well had room enough for the queen and the landing gear.

>As for your complaints about a lack of weapons, if you remeber in the first one
>they didn't have any weapons either except for a make shift cattle prod and if I
>remeber right a make shift flame thrower, I might be wrong on the last one though.

I forget if it was mentioned in the movie, but in the novelization, they did have weapons, but were afraid to use them for fear of the alien's blood eating through the hull of the ship. So they decided to rig up the flame throwers instead.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2003, 08:58:44 PM »

If the in-print stuff counts as canon, there are several sequences in various comic book series that show the xenomorphs surviving quite comfortably in the vaccum of space.  My guess has always been that the queen simply latched on to the side of the ship and crawled inside unnoticed while Ripley was tucking Hicks in.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
FearlessFreep
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2003, 12:19:29 AM »

If the in-print stuff counts as canon, there are several sequences in various comic book series that show the xenomorphs surviving quite comfortably in the vaccum of space.

The first  movie also illustrates that point at the end.  The Alien seemed to have no problem in space
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Alien 3 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.