Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:02:47 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best B-Film Character « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Best B-Film Character  (Read 7300 times)
peter johnson
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2001, 10:56:54 PM »

So, okay, we get a possible definition here in the form of SPIRIT.  Fine.  I can live with that.
Indeed, by this definition, we have a vast fake ouvre category to explore:  That of the "Intentionally Bad".  Isn't all of the Troma output to be included here?  What about Fred Olen Ray?
Okay, so if it's intentionally bad B, then it's one of ours.
I dunno -- doesn't seem quite right, somehow --
It seems to me that the real Bad Movies that give the most pleasure would only be those which were originally made to be considered as actually GOOD  movies that somehow went wrong.
Andrew . . . Oh, Andrew. . . We call to you. . . What is our boundry?  Please define . . .
philo9
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2001, 02:51:37 AM »

i only need 2 words-bruce campbell
Flangepart
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2001, 11:19:36 AM »

Hey, Welcome back,Andrew! P.J. raises a good point. I think the deliberatly bad movies should be in a sub-section of their own. The best bad films, And i'm talkin' MST fodder here, are the pretentious ones that don't realise they have a booger on their figurative mustach. THAT makes a good/bad film. After all, what better foil for, say, Groucho Marx, then Margret DuMont. The Perfect straitwoman. Groucho:" Darling, you may think me silly, but could i have a lock of your hair?"  M.D.: "A lock of my hair? why i'v never.". Groucho:" I'm letting you off easy, i was gonna' ask for the whole wig."
slaX
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2001, 11:33:06 AM »

Jack Burton
AndyC
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2001, 12:51:27 PM »

I think I might want to reconsider the word 'intentional.' You make a good point about the intentionally bad movies. I don't particulary like Troma films either. They're like the idiot who laughs too hard at his own jokes, while lacking the best joke of any bad movie - that the makers seriously believed it was good. Somewhat artificial, really.

I think by 'intentional' I meant the sort of filmmaking represented by the direct-to-video releases of the 80s. These people knew they weren't making Citizen Kane and didn't try to. They set out to provide a couple of hours' worth of cheap entertainment, to separate teenagers from their money. The main concern was in getting the target audience to pick up the box and it shows. Perhaps the intention was not to make them bad, but nobody was going for greatness either.

Those movies have a lot in common with the true B-movies. Just the same, I do agree that the best bad movies are the ones that set out to be good.

My point is really that the strict definition of a B-movie as the opening half of a double feature is rather limiting, particularly since double features are really a thing of the past.
Ringneck
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2001, 02:18:07 PM »

Guys; my favorite characters from the movies are Wallach's "Tuco" from  "TGTBTE", (Eastwood and Van Cleef are up there too from that trio of movies), Burt Reynolds character in "White Lightning", Jerry Reed's character " 'Bama McCall" in "Gator", and Ned Beatty in "White Lightning".  

All time favorite of ANY movie is Bill McKinney's crazy character in "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot".  He wa the one driving the '72 Plymoth with his pet raccoon and and a trunk full of white rabbits.  Had the exhaust vented ot the insdie of the car too, and to top it off he talked like a hair lip.   100% hilarious!!!!!!!!!

BradLaGrange
Raffles
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2001, 08:19:32 PM »

I think it goes against the nature of b film to organize it or really do anything with it in any way.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best B-Film Character « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.