Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:33:45 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Tingler « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Tingler  (Read 3169 times)
Susan
« on: November 22, 2003, 10:03:34 PM »

I've always loved this film, god knows why..perhaps because I am a big fan of vincent price. The man worked the camera like he was a stage actor, it was so over the top it was enjoyable. I was considering buying this movie awhile back when I breezed by it at Frye's (local electronics store) as it was only $9.99. I wish I had, I can't find it cheaper now. Does anyone own it on DVD, are there any extra's? I decided to check out the price on amazon and curiously...came upon this:

The Tingler?

SCREAM! SCREAM FOR YOUR LIVES!

Btw, does anyone own "attack of the killer tomatoes" on DVD? I was reading on amazon that it's the directors cut and has scenes cut..now i'm wary of buying it if it's not the original version I remember.

Post Edited (11-22-03 22:56)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 01:26:08 AM »

I seen this one. A William Castle film starring Vincent Price. The two also did HOUSE ON HAUNTED together.

Ever seen MATINEE (1993) starring John Goodman. I always liked this film about a film guy who uses alot of theater gimmicks to scare the audience like William Castle did. If you haven't seen it check it out. It would make a nice companion piece to the film ED WOOD starring Johnny Depp.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 10:58:07 AM »

The Tingler would have been a fun movie to see in the theatre when it came out. That was the one with electrical devices in some of the seats that produced a tingling sensation. Can't remember what Castle called it. That would have produced a nice reaction when the screen goes black and Price announces that the tingler is loose in the theatre. The red-tinted blood in the black-and-white movie was also a very nice touch. The premise of The Tingler is so ridiculous, but it's so well executed that it works.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Susan
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 12:05:19 PM »

>>Ever seen MATINEE (1993) starring John Goodman<<

Yeah, I saw it once back when it came out. I love the gimicky theater bit. I always said if I were rich I'd open a one of a kind theater, each room would be completely different. One would be set up just for films like this, too...as well as showing stuff like 3-D. I think just the simple sign outside the door of "view at your own risk, anyone with heart conditions or pregnant persons..etc..etc." would be enough to draw in a crowd I think.

I agree, theTingler would have been a great theater movie, I know some arthouses still show it probably but not where I live. Just because of the scene where it is loose in the theater is great..I remember reading that Castle would actually have people in the audience (hired) get up and participate. I think these days with the technology you could really have fun with a concept like this. Special laser lights and hologram images to give illusion of seeing something.

>>The red-tinted blood in the black-and-white movie was also a very nice touch<<

Very effective. That movie also had the first lsd trip I think. To me this is a righteous b-movie. I'm always suprised when I mention it and get a response of "What is the tingler?" probably because it doesn't come on tv (and i doubt it's available to rent)

dean
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 08:06:45 AM »

when i was watching the special features on the house on haunted hill [remake] dvd i remember coming across a mention of the tingler.  i love that idea, and wish it would happen more often nowadays.

tis a shame really that that sort of thing wouldn't probably be financed widely enough.  

i'd just love to see skeletons flying around the cinema etc, it would be very amusing.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 08:53:56 AM »

I have ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet.

As for THE TINGLER, its is definitely a fun movie.  I only wish that the wire they used to pull the Tingler wasn't so visible . . . it really looks cheesy.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 12:59:52 PM »

Remember the topic of "WTF" films?
"Scream and scream agine" is a CLASSIC "WTF" example.
Vinnie was always a Pro, just like Cushing and Lee. And he had fun with his work, and that is infectious. A great trait for an actor to have.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Susan
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 07:46:20 PM »

>>I have ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet.<<

Burgo you need to change your signature to:
"so many dvd's, so little time"

>>As for THE TINGLER, its is definitely a fun movie. I only wish that the wire they used to pull the Tingler wasn't so visible . . . it really looks cheesy.<<

Yeah but it's ok because it's a b-movie...budgets back then weren't great so considering, they did a pretty decent job. An unforgiving moment for me seeing wires is in "Superman IV: The quest for peace"..I don't think i'll ever recover from the moon fight....ever

JohnL

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 01:09:50 AM »

>probably because it doesn't come on tv

One of the channels aired it a year or two ago. I forget which one.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 10:06:14 AM »

Susan wrote:

Burgo you need to change your signature to:
"so many dvd's, so little time"

You aren't kidding.  If I don't stop buying so many my wife will kill me.  Then they can write that on my tombstone.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Dr. Jitters
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2003, 04:09:26 PM »

The thing I liked best on THE TINGLER dvd was the inclusion of William Castle doing the "the tingler is loose" lines for the drive-in release of the film.  In the theatrical version, it's Vincent Price's voice saying those lines of course, but Castle recorded a version for the drive-in, which, in my book, is just toooo cool.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 12:52:58 PM »

Saw this one for the very first time on Antenna TV about 5 am today....cool film! It had a great,moody atmosphere,a goofy yet oddly creepy monster and the always wonderful Vincent Price. I wondered if the folks who did "Wrath of Khan" saw it because the monster reminded me a bit of the creature Khan put in the captain and Chekhov's ears.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »

Since 3D has made it's resurgence, it might be cool if theaters did try some of these gimmicks again.  On the other hand I'm sure it would lead to a lot of lawsuits.

I loved the pseudo-4th wall  breaking when the tingler is lose in the theater.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »

I love "The Tingler."  It would definitely be in my top 5 Vincent Price films.  I remember being really creeped out by this movie watching it on TV when I was a little kid.  It was shown a number of times on Saturday afternoons on one of our local channels.

I'm not creeped out by it anymore, but I still love it.  Vincent Price is at the top of his game in this one.  He was one of a kind.  A great actor and a class act. 
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »

I love "The Tingler."  It would definitely be in my top 5 Vincent Price films.  I remember being really creeped out by this movie watching it on TV when I was a little kid.  It was shown a number of times on Saturday afternoons on one of our local channels.

I'm not creeped out by it anymore, but I still love it.  Vincent Price is at the top of his game in this one.  He was one of a kind.  A great actor and a class act. 

Absolutely.....one of a kind. Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Tingler « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.