Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:32:46 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dawn Of The Dead remake « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dawn Of The Dead remake  (Read 5697 times)
David
« on: August 06, 2001, 12:02:54 AM »

Thought you guys may be interested in this, though the film itself make be far less than interesting:

"(8/5/01) Variety reported Friday that Beacon Communications (Bring It On, End of Days, Air Force One) has hired screenwriter James Gunn, who impressed them with his Scooby-Doo script, to work on a remake of Romero's Dawn of the Dead. To remake Dawn in this day and age probably means it would be about a group of "mall rat" teenagers trapped there by a group of zombies, which I'm sure most Romero fans agree, would be idiotic. At least the Tom Savini remake of NOTLD had some sort of tie to the original (Romero produced it and wrote a new screenplay). This remake, on the other hand has no ties to Romero other than the rights to be made, and it's also not necessary. With NOTLD, the argument could be made that the original was made so cheaply that a remake would benefit from new FX. But with Dawn, you've already got amazing zombie makeup, and a creepy horror movie (often voted the trilogy's best). One has to truly wonder if the money going into this wouldn't just be better spent supporting this fourth film from Romero himself, but he's probably not wanting to make a movie that Beacon would want to distribute. Heck, Beacon might want PG-13. The good news is that Beacon's remake is probably a few years from getting made, if it ever does. Maybe Romero will get this project done first, making Beacon will change their mind about the remake."

Taken from Upcomingmovies.com.
Chadzilla
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2001, 03:22:25 AM »

...staring vacantly at the screen and whispering "No no no no no no no..."
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2001, 03:47:31 AM »

Please. We're talking King Kong or Lost Horizon here: the remake will be forgotten in a matter of minutes, the original will live on.

--Have you see the trailer for Jeepers Creepers? This should be retitled Generic Monster Movie.
StatCat
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2001, 10:29:50 AM »

I don't like that idea at all, Dawn should just be left alone. The night of the living dead remake was susprisingly good in it's own way but this sounds like it does not offer any credibility. If anything what real Romero fans want is another installment in the Dead trilogy and not trendy remakes.
Chadzilla
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2001, 12:25:53 PM »

re Jeepers Creepers:

Tony Timpone at fangoria magazine says that it's one of the scariest movies of the summer, right up there with Session 9.  What little I have read about it sounds...interesting (and, sadly, it's far too easy to make a generic crap looking by the numbers trailer for what is actually a fine genre movie).  But it is from the director of Clownhouse and Powder.  That being said I have a strong urge to skip it.  Being the father of a young boy I have really big issues with the guy (hey, didn't think to call him creep right off the bat, so perhaps I am making some progress).  Perhaps, in time, I will watch it, but knowing what he did...I know, I know - keep the artist separated from his/her art, but I still have those issues to work through.  I hope he is reformed, but I shuddered when I saw a picture of him with his arms around the young leads...

issues, I got issues...

re: Twilight (?) of the Dead:

In a posting over at georgearomero.com the living legend hisownself says he has just about completed the next dead script, all he needs now is financing.  Anybody got 3 to 6 million?*

*because he has done some Hollywood work Romero is a member of the Guild, so he is required to higher Union labor, which automatically creates a bargain basement budget of 3 million, can't go lower than that.  Come on guys , let's pass the collection plate!
Steve.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2001, 02:03:30 PM »

The problem with this remake is that millions of unknowing twats will think it's ace! Are they really THAT devoid of ideas or is it down to cold, hard cash?
Chadzilla
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2001, 02:10:26 PM »

Why risk money on something unknown when you can exploit something with a built in audience and name recognition.  Got love the mind set..."You did a great job writing that script based on that Saturday Morning Cartoon, now do one based on this midnight movie."
Evil Ed
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2001, 05:14:45 PM »

Evil Ed says, "Remakes Suck, if anything re-release it to the theaters, i'd love to see it on the Big Screen."
Stupid Jacob
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2001, 05:53:13 PM »

Let me start off by saying Dawn is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. Even if my friends and family think its lame (according to one of them, "it's just mindless killing". Then he goes on how he thinks Independence Day is "amazing".) so i'm going to be a little byst when someone tells me that they can approve on it. That's bs. The original was great. Great story, good acting (for a b-movie), and great special effects. Plus, you just know they'll cast some crappy actor like Freddie Prince whatever in it. Hollywood.

On the subject on the next Living dead flick, I nearly had a heart attack when I heard about this. How sweet is that going to be?
Guitarwolf
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2001, 12:08:49 AM »

It doesn't end there. They're also doing a remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The entertainment industry isn't going to stop until they kill my will to live. I saw an ad for MTV where a bunch of kids said they hate metal. So MTV replies, "less metal, we play the music YOU want to here. I'm not a metal head. But, MTV does not play the music I want to hear. And I am still p**sed at them for comparing DLR era Van Halen to Vanilla Ice in terms of talent. Now Britney "No Talent" Spears, NSYNC, Fred Durst and all of these teeny bopper bands are doing movies. By the way, the guy writing the remake of Dawn of the Dead, is the same guy that wrote the live action Scooby Doo movie and said in an interview that he wanted to make this movie because, get this, he "likes shopping". Ugggghh.
In the last decade I have seen the death of comedians like Bill Hicks and Sam Kinison, yet Carrot Top is all over TV. Dee Dee Ramone is dead. Aerosmith played with Nsync and Britney Spears. I've also seen former great directors like Dario Argento, Tim Burton, John Carpenter and Brian DePalma crumble. Now one of the best films of all time is about to get reamed royally. I was mad at first. Now I'm just depressed.
Steve.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2001, 02:12:14 PM »

Jacob -  Independence Day is amazing - amazingly awful. I'm starting to get that sinking feeling about this proposed re-make. GW  - Bill Hicks was one the best comedians I have ever seen or heard. His "Relentless" and "Revelations" shows were absolute classics. He was really taken with the Brit slang word for "tired" - "Knackered".
jubes
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2001, 11:53:35 AM »

Clearly, I envisioned a DUSK of the DEAD, which could boast an inflated idea of worldwide domination of the zombies and be much MEANER than the others films which became progressively more grouchy (annoying things, these zombies.) To fit logically (for me) into the DEAD scheme, this final installment would have to be over the top ideally, and ROMERO budgetwise.
Steve.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2001, 02:58:56 PM »

Eek! almost missed. - the movies George should have made. In chronological order:
THE WEE SMALL HOURS BEFORE DAWN OF THE DEAD
BREAKFAST OF THE DEAD
ELEVENSES OF THE DEAD
LUNCHEON OF THE DEAD
TIFFIN (aka AFTERNOON TEA WITH CREAM SCONES) OF THE DEAD
DUSK OF THE DEAD
AND SO TO BED-TIME OF THE DEAD.
Flangepart
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2001, 05:07:05 PM »

Sir! you forgot Morning ablutions of the dead and guick stop in the loo of the dead. Even the living dead need to look their best...thier best worst...um...you know what i mean!
Chadzilla
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2001, 05:16:36 PM »

Coming soon to the local octoplex...

The Night Living Dead Return at the Dawn of a New Day in Hell.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dawn Of The Dead remake « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.