Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:37:31 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst Moral « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Worst Moral  (Read 10415 times)
AndyC
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2001, 04:56:26 PM »

"Teenagers have sex - they die. Teenagers smoke weed - they die. Teenagers do anything remotely pleasurable - they die."

And it's usually a safe bet that the quiet bookworm who's saving it for marriage will live.
AndyC
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2001, 05:56:12 PM »

Almost any police action film in which the hero disobeys orders and takes some dangerous action that would, in the real world, endanger not only himself but all of the other officers and citizens involved. He not only succeeds brilliantly, but often gets off with a stern lecture instead of being fired and possibly brought up on charges. Occasionally, the hero might get a suspension, but it doesn't last. The moral here is that it's all right to play by your own rules, as long as it works.

OK, the movies wouldn't be as much fun if the heroes followed the rules, and nobody looks for morals in old action films, but, for the sake of discussion, that is definitely the message.
peter johnson
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2001, 10:00:35 PM »

Ah!, but don't forget that the Gandalf-like good wizard uses a nazi-techno-badguy PISTOL to finally defeat his bad brother in the end!
I remember people really getting mad about this at the time when it came out, that is to say, they AGREED with the tech=Nazi message & thought Bakshi copped out by using the pistol at the very end.
I think he was just trying to make a nickel.  Poor guy -- I really think he did have real vision as an artist, but had to cut so many corners to put food on the table.
I still think Heavy Traffic -- the unedited European print -- is an animated masterpiece.
peter johnson
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2001, 10:05:29 PM »

Wonderful Life = first film where man visits alternate reality?
The first one that occurs to me is Buster Keaton's "Sherlock Junior", wherein he visits a stream of alternate realities.
AndyC
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2001, 06:29:15 AM »

I just looked up Sherlock Jr. on IMDB. It sounds interesting (especially the broken neck), but not really what I would consider an alternate reality story. If the description I read was correct, Keaton is a projectionist who dreams himself into the movie he's showing. I would call that visiting a fantasy world.

By alternate reality, I meant being transported to a parallel version of the 'real' world in which everything is the same, except for some bit of history that happened differently and changed it all. The Star Trek mirror universe or the parallel worlds on Sliders would be examples. Wonderful Life is a bit different, in that George is transported there by supernatural means, rather than technological, but it's basically the same type of story.

I guess it's not really explained whether George was transported to a parallel world, whether the angels altered the real world for him, or whether the whole thing was an illusion. It's not all that relevant either. Capra probably didn't even consider that he might be getting into something related to science fiction.

Sorry, this is getting really far off topic. I just analyze things way too much.
Flangepart
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2001, 10:52:07 AM »

Now theres a thought...a cop movie where the story stsrts off with one of those Eastwood/Stallone Hero rescues the hostages...only the hostages get killed, and the whole rest of the movie is the Hero getting his ass handed to him by the media and his bosses for Fornicating virticaly in a big way. Just a thought, Holluwood!
Apostic
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2001, 03:53:58 PM »

Although the stated plot in the IMDB is correct, the presentation of Keaton unexpectedly jumping from scene to scene to scene plays more like alternate realities than it does fantasy worlds.

Come to think of it, fantasy worlds, on their own terms, would seem more like real worlds to their inhabitants.  (See also Purple Rose of Cairo and the final sequence of dimension hopping in Waxworks 2.)  Further, a world where things had gone diferently, that's technically a fantasy world for the person who thought of it.  Isn't it?

No?  Dang, I hate trying to think in the morning.   Maybe it's just easier to call "fantasy worlds" and "parallel universes" subsets of alternate realities.

regards,

Apostic
AndyC
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2001, 05:09:00 PM »

I wouldn't mind seeing Sherlock Jr. It sounds pretty wild. Is it available anywhere?
Flangepart
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2001, 05:10:23 PM »

Hey, in Futurama they only have two parallel universes to worry about. Must realy simplfy the bookkeeping.
Chadzilla
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2001, 05:22:12 PM »

And it's usually a safe bet that the quiet bookworm who's saving it for marriage will live.

:-)
Apostic
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2001, 07:50:34 PM »

Finding Sherlock Jr?

It often plays on the AMC cable network in the wee hours of the morning.  I don't know that it can be found in a schedule.

Since it's a short, it's probably available on a compilation video.  Exact sources are directly proportional to how far you are willing to go, or if you'd just rather wait for some fly-by-night company to put it out on DVD.  Best bet these days is just keep an eye out for it -- along with other Buster Keaton shorts - if interest continues.

regards,

Apostic
peter johnson
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2001, 07:37:37 PM »

Sherlock Jr. was classified as one of Keaton's features, though not a full 90min long -- hell, yes, try and see it on any compilation video, but I bet your local public library has a copy on tape by itself.
I think most of the Keaton output is available in any vid. store that stocks classics.
Anyone hasn't seen this, don't deny yourself a real treat, along with Steamboat Bill Jr. or any other of Keaton's surreal comic inspiration --
Steve.
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2001, 01:34:16 PM »

MintMail aka Pyramid selling aka RIP-OFF. If I refer referrals to other referrals, who then refer those referrals to the aforementioned earlier referred referrals (which I have just referred to) then I make a dime? What have I been missing? All these years slaving over hot....whatevers, and it's as easy as that. Life. Doesn't it just dump on you from a great height?
Andrew
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2001, 04:53:57 PM »

Noticed the little bugger and deleted it before reading your post Steve.  Just so anyone doesn't think that Steve is having an episode, some clueless moron posted a whole little blurb (with links for his credit) about Mintmail.

Andrew
Steve.
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2001, 05:43:43 PM »

A job well done, Andrew. Do they try it often? If they're as blatant as that they surely can't last long.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst Moral « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.