Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:47:21 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The most made fun of states in movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The most made fun of states in movies  (Read 9394 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 29, 2003, 12:11:38 AM »

Have you ever noticed that there are certin states that always get ripped on in movies.States like New Jersey, Wisconsin (my state), New York, and Texas.Now what is it about certin states that always get them ripped on.Now don't get me wrong I I don't really have a problem with Wisconsin geting made fun of, I have do have some backbone, but I do wonder what is it about my state that it gets so much flak from the movies.Admitedly I can only think of one movie off hand that makes some fun of my state, Dogma, but I know that there are others movies that do too.
So Im asking you, what do you consider to be the states that get the most fun made of them.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 01:33:41 AM »

Well being from Iowa, my state is either regarded as heaven or the lamest place on earth.

It can be boring for those people who have no imaginations....but I kind of like it.  Most people think corn or farms when they think of Iowa.  Yes it is true that we have alot of both but there are cities here that can be fun if you know the right people and what's going on.

If I struck it rich & became a millionaire I still think I would maintain a home here.  When you're from Iowa it kind of indicates a status symbol as being somewhat pure & uncorrupted unlike some people from states like N.J., New York & California where violence & crime are rampant.  

Admit it, when meeting 2 strangers...you hear that a person is from Iowa or any of the other midwestern states & another is from New York or California, you DO form two very different opinions in your mind as to each person's upbringing & values.
Movies in general tend to portray Iowa as a very pure & special place.

At least that's how I see it.

Post Edited (11-29-03 00:36)
FearlessFreep
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 01:35:48 AM »

Well being from Iowa,

What part? I jhave a technical interview on Monday  for "Principal Financial" up there and if I get the contract I could be there for a few months.
Ash

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 01:37:22 AM »

Cedar Rapids....(eastern Iowa) we have Principal Financial here...if you're in town....e-mail me & Brother Ragnarok & I can show you a good time!

I luv dolma
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 01:41:10 AM »

MINNESOTA!!!
FearlessFreep
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 01:42:57 AM »

e-mail me & Brother Ragnarok & I can show you a good time!

Well, I am a married man :)  Otherwise, sounds good.  I'll let you know as soon as I find out anything.
Ash

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 01:46:48 AM »

Well I meant "show you a good time" by going to various concerts.

Iowa gets lots of concerts around this time of year & I remember you saying that you were into music.

Either way...you could get to meet some fellow bad movie lovers & watch a few bad ones with us.

Be sure to let us know.

FearlessFreep
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 01:50:18 AM »

Well I meant "show you a good time" by going to various concerts.

Iowa gets lots of concerts around this time of year & I remember you saying that you were into music.

That sounds fun.    I mostly into jazz, fusion, and prog-rock, though   So finding a name concert that would interest me might be hard, but on the other hand I love sitting in a nightcleb with a jazz or blues band playing.  I'm bringing my bass, maybe find something to sit in on..

Either way...you could get to meet some fellow bad movie lovers & watch a few bad ones with us.

That would be cool.  I haven't met anyone from the board yet

Be sure to let us know.

That I will
JohnL

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 02:15:11 AM »

>Admitedly I can only think of one movie off hand that makes some fun of my
>state,

Don't know if it counts as making fun, but in Lethal Tender, the main bad guy, Kim Coates, asks the hostages trivia questions about Wisconsin to win their lives. He keep pronouncing it Wis-CONNN-sin.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 03:48:42 AM »

Never seen the movie, but thats a good example of what im talking about.But I half to ask what the hell kind of trivia question can you ask about Wisconsin.Besides Wisconsin being the home of Miller Brewing we don't have much interesting things here in Wisconsin. Just cows and rednecks.

Ash

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2003, 03:49:19 AM »

And cheese...

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2003, 04:05:58 AM »

Damn't I forgot cheese, how the f**k could I forget cheese.Im a cheese head after all.Damn my self, Damn my self to hell.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2003, 12:07:59 PM »

I think both states AND cities are made fun of in certain movies.

New Jersey seems to come up a lot as far as states go.

I think Cleveland comes up a lot as far as cities go.

Also, "the South" comes up a lot as a region.  "Oh, you must be from THE SOUTH."  (As if all the states and people from the South are exactly the same).

In my opinion, Neil Simon is the master of poking fun at New York.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
FearlessFreep
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2003, 02:08:05 PM »

Green Bay Packers - exemplify the best of the NFL
Milwaukee Breweers - exemplify the worst of MLB
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2003, 02:53:28 PM »

Ed Gein was from Wisconsin.  So was Joe McCarthy.  

New Jersey is probably the only one that has gotten to a punchline level.  Usually regions of the country are made fun of in the movies, not so much individual states, although FARGO is definitely a two-hour long joke about Minnesota.  

As far as regions go, the Midwest and South are probably the most lampooned.

My home state, Oklahoma, has a musical named after it so I guess we got off fairly easily, though we also got that movie KEYS TO TULSA, which looked nothing like Tulsa.  But TEX, THE OUTSIDERS, and RUMBLE FISH were all filmed in Tulsa, as was UHF!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The most made fun of states in movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.