Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:07:12 AM
714357 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Pitch Black « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pitch Black  (Read 3004 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 29, 2003, 04:04:21 AM »

I don't remeber if any one has done a post on this movie in any recent time, but seeing as how I just saw it on tv I thought I would give my two cents worth.
This movie I find to be pretty damn good.The story decent, the acting is decent, the aliens I think are some of the more original aliens ive seen in recent years, and it has Vin Deisel being his usual bad ass self.I know alot of people who dislike this movie, and when ever I ask them why, they always say they just don't like it, with no further reason given.
The movie does have some problems, one of the biggest of them being my how can they breath on a desert plant problem.You see this problem alot in movie were the world is supposed to be devoid of life but yet they can still breath on it.Anouther example of this is the Matrix, how can the humans breath on the surface if the sky has been blackened and no sun can get through. No sun no plants no air.Another is its pretty easy to figure out who is going to live and die witht he exception of the Blond haired chick, I was kind surprised that she died.Finnaly is that I still do not believe that kid was a girl.Im sure that was a guy, infact im positive.No girl looks like that no matter how boyish in appearence.That was a pretty stupid plot point.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 09:08:35 AM »

I am one of the people you mentioned that did not like this film so much.

I felt that the film was a complete rehash of the alien series and every other SF monster flick.  David Twohy did do a great job with directing the film, and I'm really looking forward to the Chronicles Of Riddick being as his character was one of the only good things about the film.

I think I was disappointed more than anything.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
FearlessFreep
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 10:03:26 AM »

"Pitch Black" is one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies.  I thought the cinemotgraphy was excellent and the special effects were pretty good, too.

As far as 'breathing on a desert planet', I just never assumed the entire planet was a desert planet.  I assumed they happened to crash in a really bad part of the planet.

I also appreciated the character development.  The cliched good-guy (Johns) wasn't really a good-guy; and the rest seemed to be a redemption story of the other two main characters; Riddick in saving someone besides himself and Fry in trying to atone for wanting to let everyone die to save herself. That the religious character kepts his faith,despite the death of his followers, and survived was another against-cliche subplot.

I thought the tenstion was excellent. Aliens did it with a lot of yelling and shooting and fast camera work; Pitch Black did it much more subtlely simply by putting a hundred aliens a few feet away with little more than a flash-light for defense
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 02:54:21 PM »

This movie put me to sleep....my wife went ahead and watched the rest of it and said I didn't miss much.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 04:33:17 PM »

I liked it alot!

The crash scene in the beginning was extremely intense & well done.

And Riddick twisting his arms around in their sockets to free himself....OUCH!!!
I always think of that scene when I think of Pitch Black.

FearlessFreep
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 04:40:05 PM »

The crash scene in the beginning was extremely intense & well done.

Yes, I made my wife watch just that scene with me

I always think of that scene when I think of Pitch Black.

I always think of the scene as they're heading out into the desert with the little sled and you can see just beyond the lights, a hundred aliens circling around.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 06:43:05 PM »

I always like horror type movies that have someone with balls enough to go toe -to - toe with one of the monsters.  Vin takes one out with a knife,  that's balls .  I also liked the scene  where he is standing two feet away  in  the aliens blind spot.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 10:41:50 PM »

Yea, PITCH BLACK is a very good movie. I love the crash landing and yellow filtered lens stuff when they take a look around. The idea about the eclipse is neat and the creatures not able to go into the sunlight. My only complaint was the CGI used for the creatures. Just with they didn't go that route with the film.

I also liked RED PLANET,  SUPERNOVA, and EVENT HORIZON that all came out about the same time.

JohnL

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 10:57:48 PM »

>I still do not believe that kid was a girl.Im sure that was a guy,

The first time I saw this movie, I spotted her as a girl right away. In fact, it wasn't until they started making a big deal about her sex that I realized that the other characters didn't know she was a girl.

One of the things I liked about Pitch Black, and which surprised me, was that Riddick wasn't an unstoppable superman. When he encounters the others for the first time after his escape, I was expecting it to take at least 3-4 people and several minutes to subdue him.

The thing I didn't like about it was how stupid some of the characters are. Rather than concentrating on getting the power cells to the other ship as soon as possible, they screw around wasting time until they find out about the eclipse. Even if they didn't know that something was going to happen to put them in danger, securing their way off the planet should have been their first priority. Then there's the idiot who wrecks the light sled when they're making their way back to the settlement.
FearlessFreep
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 12:34:43 AM »

Rather than concentrating on getting the power cells to the other ship as soon as possible, they screw around wasting time until they find out about the eclipse. Even if they didn't know that something was going to happen to put them in danger, securing their way off the planet should have been their first priority.

Fry wanted to do just that but Johns was stalling because he was afraid Riddick would do something to the rest as soon as the got the power cells to the ship. Even with the eclipse he was still reluctant
Kory
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 03:47:25 AM »

I hated this movie.

I won't elaborate because I'll get on my big ol' soapbox... and it's late...
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 03:06:13 PM »

Never seen it but I couldn't stand "The Fast and the Clueless" so I never cared to see it. XXX was another mess of mindless, high budget nonsense.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Pitch Black « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.