Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:53:38 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why I hate the Terminator movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Why I hate the Terminator movies  (Read 14324 times)
Will
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 01:34:58 PM »

No, fate would determine parentage on both sides, not just the mother. Fate is fate, and if it's unchangeable, as the Terminators themselves say, then it's unchangeable.

Honestly, if fate were considered malleable in the Terminator mythology, everything would be fine. But so much of the storyline concentrates on fate as being set in stone that it completely destroys the point of the movies.  Obviously, as I've stretched this thread out, it really bothers me.

Considering that Three on a Meathook is one of my all-time favorite movies, why in the hell does this bother me so? That's a thread for another time.

jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2003, 02:30:07 PM »

All genre movies have plot holes....most other movies do too, but they're not as obvious.
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2003, 02:33:55 PM »

You are the very first person, that I know of... that doesn't  like the Terminator movies. I am a HUGE fan and I kinda take offense to your annoying, overly ANALytical theories about the plot structure. If you don't like it... don't watch it.
There's a ton of films that I could rip on when it comes to plot structure. I could also waste valueable time explaining why I hate them but who would care?

I seriously think you're alone on this one my friend. ; ) Anyhow, I hope you get the same thrill from watching your flicks as I do mine. Life is waaaay too short to be so bitter man.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2003, 02:53:32 PM »

I'm with the Brotha on this one. I loved the third movie only I thought it was too short and they could have done a few more character moments. It was worth watching just for the crane chase. I don't know why but when Arnold got thrown off into the front of the firetruck I almost  fell out  of my seat laughing. He says "I'll drive." and the firemen start bailing out of the truck.  It was a stupid joke, but I guess it caught  me in the right mood.

Time travel always has so many paradoxes involved, I've never seen a movie or read a story about it that you couldn't  shoot a million holes into.   It's a movie, not quantum physics class.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2003, 03:28:01 PM »

>I don't know why but when Arnold got thrown off into the front of the firetruck I almost fell out of my seat laughing. He says "I'll drive." and the firemen start bailing out of the truck.

I laughed my butt off on that part as well. : )

>I've never seen a movie or read a story about it that you couldn't shoot a million holes into. It's a movie, not quantum physics class.

Well said my brotha! ; ) Cheers!!!
Will
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2003, 03:37:00 PM »

Man, you guys are kind of mean about me not liking the Terminator movies.

Anyway, the reason I started the thread is precisely because I'm the only person I know who doesn't like them, and I was hoping to get other opinions.

But so far I've gotten (a) Don't think when you watch movies, (b) Other movies have completely stupid s**t in them so it's okay, and (c) It's a waste of time to analyze films.

I think I'm sad now.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2003, 04:04:33 PM »

Will wrote:

"But so far I've gotten (a) Don't think when you watch movies, (b) Other movies have completely stupid s**t in them so it's okay, and (c) It's a waste of time to analyze films."

a) It's okay to think when you watch movies.  But when I watch movies about cyborgs wearing sunglasses and black leather jackets walking around with big weapons, I spend most of my time thinking about how much ass he's going to kick and how many trucks he's going to blow up.

b) When I watch movies with stupid s**t in them, I put on my "suspension of disbelief" hat.  If the entertainment value exceeds the amount of stupid s**t, then I can usually live with the plot holes.

c) It is never a waste to analyze films. But it can be very frustrating if you try to analyze CASABLANCA, STAR WARS and THE WIZARD OF OZ by using the same measurements of quality.  If you do that, you'll end up saying that CASABLANCA is boring, STAR WARS is stupid, and THE WIZARD OF OZ is a sappy children's movie.

By the way, If THREE ON A MEATHOOK ever comes out on DVD, I'd probably be willing to pay as much as $30 for it.  And I've never even seen it.  That's how twisted I am.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Will
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2003, 04:12:21 PM »

Burg,

Three on a Meathook would be WORTH $30 at least....it's truly one of the greatest horrible, horrible movies I've ever seen. The whiteboy wah-wah funk band that scores the movie and makes two performances in the middle of the movie is worth it by itself!

As far as your analysis of my criticisms, you do have a point, I think, as far as the criteria for analysis. Obviously, Three on a Meathook and Casablanca wouldn't belong in the same category as far as entertainment or art.

But the Terminator movies are regarded so highly that I think they can be examined as any other big budget blockbuster that has designs at importance.  I don't mind turning off my brain to enjoy Cyborg, which is the only Jean Clod movie I liked, (or even Cyborg2, for that matter), but Terminator movies posture themselves as action sci-fi that thinks, not unlike the Matrix movies. The Terminator movies have a reputation for substance, and that's what gets my goat here.....

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2003, 04:44:40 PM »

I think your missing the point of this entire changing the past premise.The point is that you can't know for sure what actions you take in the past will affect the future.The future its self is not set, but it does have a formula it follows and events that are likely to happen will happen.The machines and humans sending there own back in time to "change" it was a event that was very likely to happen no matter what.In the second movie they had parts from the original terminator to work off of and give them a huge leap in technology, but that labs were destroyed, off setting the dates at wich Skynet would have been created but not preventing it.Skynet was something that had to be built if the future of the world was to continue.
But that is of course all assumption, and its my atempt to rationalise the whole time travel paradox.You see you could make your argument about any movie involving time travel.And the fact is that we just don't know what would happen is we went back in time to change it.Would we destroy the universe, would it change are future, or would nothing happen because time is set and can't be changed?

Smells like popcorn and shame
Will
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2003, 04:50:47 PM »

But the Terminator movies don't have your view on time travel. They say that fate is fate and no matter what you do or how much you try you can't escape it. If John Connor can't escape his fate, then neither can the machines.  So there's no reason for the machines to do what they're doing, and they wouldn't do it, if not for the incredibly incompetent writers of the movies.

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2003, 05:17:29 PM »

I think your also assuming that the machines know there fate.I don't remeber the movies saying that the machines are destined to lose or that the humans are destined to lose.The fate they speak of is applying to a singular individual and that is John Connor.The machines are attempting to change the past but they don't know for a fact that there is any fate or destiny to it, just that here is this guy named John Conner who is leading the rebilion.
Your argument that the machines are cold calculating machines that would be able to crunch the numbers and determine the out comes of events is rather invalid.The machines are cold and calculating but they are not omnipetent, and there for can not know the future nor can they know what would happened if the past is changed, all they could do is theorise about what changes may take place.In the first movie Reese says that the machines had virtualy lost the war and that sending a Termenator back in time to kill off Sarah Conner was a act of desperation.The machines hoped that they could kill her off and hopefully prevent John Conner from leading the resetance.
You view this as being a serious sci-fi movie and is supposed to be taken at face value, but then you would have to hate every other serious sci-fi movie also.Even Aliens which you said you liked has some glaring problems.First the colonist had been on that planet for quite some time but had only happened to recently discover a huge alien ship.Two the aliens have blood that can eat through anything but for some reason they don't melt them selves.Three at the end of the movie when Ripley tries to blow the alien queen out the air lock she some how manages to keep a firm hold on the ladder while a couple ton alien is tangiling from her foot and the vacume of space is sucking is trying to suck them out.The reality is that Ripleys arms would have been ripped off if she had tried that.Lastly how did the queen get on the ship undetected.The queen is not exactly hard to miss.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2003, 07:29:46 PM »

Wow!  

Did you all have the day off today?

I can't remember seeing so many replies to a single thread in one day!

I loved all 3 Terminator films....hell I hope they make a 4th!

I want it to be set in that grim post-apocolyptic future & follow the humans brutal struggle & eventual defeat of the machines.

That would be cool!

Post Edited (12-04-03 18:33)
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2003, 09:22:28 PM »

I don't think it's a waste of time to analyze films...I just think it's a waste of time to analyze this series of films, because they aren't serious science fiction films--they're action films with a little science fiction thrown in.  It would be like trying to analyze what the RAMBO films have to say about geopolitics.
Susan
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2003, 10:16:14 PM »

Terminator, the original. There is no need to even watch the sequels which further confuse, exploit and screw up a perfectly good story

Velvet Brotha
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2003, 11:38:40 PM »

> Terminator movies posture themselves as action sci-fi that thinks, not unlike the Matrix movies. The Terminator movies have a reputation for substance, and that's what gets my goat here.....

Well your goat needs to chew on a cyanide pillow and shut the hell up...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why I hate the Terminator movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.