Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:47:01 AM
713339 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Films from Different Decades « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Films from Different Decades  (Read 1098 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: January 16, 2004, 11:19:03 PM »

I've really been enjoying 70's films that become a kind of time capsule. All the buildings, advertisments, logos, clothing, and cars give these films something interesting they probably didn't intend when they were made. These things give films them more reason to watch than when they initially came out at the theater.

I'm starting to think about films of today that will be able to do that in the future.

Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 10:49:14 PM »

Good call Scott. That's why I like older films. Never thought of it as a time capsule, but that's a good way to describe it. Mostly like films from the 30's and 40's. They just look cool, like you mentioned, cars, buildings, clothes...so on..

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 11:08:14 PM »

I remember the 70's very well, but watching it is like going to another world.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 09:22:11 AM »

The 70s is my favorite decade for movies.  I think the most memorable "big city crime" movies were made in the 70s (THE FRENCH CONNECTION,  SHAFT, DIRTY HARRY, DEATH WISH, TAXI DRIVER, etc.)

I also think that many enjoyable horror movies were made in the 70s (many came from Europe).

And I'm a big fan of the blaxploitation and martial arts movies from that decade.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 01:47:38 PM »

One thing I've learned growing up is that I don't make fun of previous generations or decades.  If I'm making funny of the 70s for Disco and wide lapels, in 20 years someone's going to be making fun of the 90s for grunge and navel-gazing narcism..  Every decade has it's thing, every generation does what they do because it seems like a good idea at the time.  We are not the first generation to 'really get it', we won't be the last to think we have.

If we think of history as a train ride, all of us alive right now just happen to be the passengers right now, sharing our existance with each other.  But we're not erally any better or worse then those that rode before us and those that wil ride after we've gotten off.

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Scott

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 11:53:24 PM »

Well said FearlessFreep.

Burgomaster about your film list:

THE FRENCH CONNECTION - Have never seen this all the way through. Only remember a woman bathing in a second floor window.

SHAFT - Never seen the film, but have heard the music.

DIRTY HARRY - I'm ashamed to admit that I have never seen this all the way through, but I'm putting the Dirty Harry films on my to view list. Always had trouble watching police dramas. Not sure why.

DEATH WISH - Saw this in the theater and thought it was very good.

TAXI DRIVER - Another great film.

Deej,  I just saw NORTHWEST PASSAGE yesterday starring Spencer Tracy and Robert Young in a film about  the French and Indian War . Very Good film (though it has nothing to do with this topic)

Eirik
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 09:38:17 AM »

"If we think of history as a train ride, all of us alive right now just happen to be the passengers right now, sharing our existance with each other. But we're not erally any better or worse then those that rode before us and those that wil ride after we've gotten off."

Somebody needs to break that to Tom Brokaw with his "greatest generation" crap.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Films from Different Decades « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.