Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:01:56 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  How many of you believe that B films are bad for younger viewers? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How many of you believe that B films are bad for younger viewers?  (Read 4370 times)
Velvet Brotha
« on: December 07, 2003, 12:17:35 AM »

Just out of curiousity... How many of you believe that it's ok to allow children to view B-films like: "Killer Klowns From Outter space", "Deadly Spawn", or even "Evil Dead?"
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 12:33:09 AM »

I've only seen EVIL DEAD of those three.  It's probably too much for young kids, though kids around age 11-12 or older can most likely handle it.  

But there are a ton of B movies that are suitable for kids.  

However, when I was a kid it was fun when we got to see stuff that was "too much" for us.  I think I saw Fulci's ZOMBIE at a pretty early age.
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 12:40:25 AM »

Dude, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to :" Killer Klowns From Outter Space" I promise, you won't regret it's wonderful cheezyness.
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 12:59:26 AM »

I actually decided to let my 7 year old watch Evil Dead 2 this Halloween after his constant nagging about it.  He'd already seen Army of Darkness (which pulled an "R" rating somehow, but probably should've been "PG-13"), and it's his favorite movie.  I discussed the fact that everything in Evil Dead 2 was make believe, and that none of that stuff would happen in the real world.  He understands the differences between fact and fiction, and actually enjoyed the hell out of the movie.  I think his exact words were "Dad, when his hand was beating him up, it was the funniest thing I've ever seen".  That said, the only reason I let him watch it is because the themes that it dealt with were themes that I was comfortable discussing with a seven year old, and because the violence was SO over the top as to become almost cartoony.  I wouldn't let him watch the first Evil Dead because I don't want him to see the tree rape scene, as I don't think a kid his age should have to be exposed to something like that.  He won't be watching anything like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" anytime soon because I feel there's a difference between violence and brutality, and that one lays clearly on the "brutal" end of the spectrum.  
All in all, I'd say it depends on the kid.  Some kids can handle stuff like that, some can't.  While I certainly wouldn't advocate letting a child watch whatever they want, I also wouldn't necessarily censor their viewing just because the MPAA says they're not old enough.

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 01:03:39 AM »

Depends on the movie and the kids. I wouldn't show "Meet the Feebles" to my five-year-old cousin, but stuff like Killer Klowns, Army of Darkness, and some so-bad-it's-good stuff for the sorts of preteens who'd like that kinda stuff. I got hooked when I was around ten and Night of the Lepus was shown on Easter, and soon moved on to Plan 9, MST3K, and all that good stuff.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Eirik
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 02:23:27 AM »

Funny you should reference the obscure "Deadly Spawn."  My dad took me to see that when I was 10 or 12.  He never exerted much effort shielding me from violence (and that was a violent one), profanity and nudity and I think I turned out okay.  Of course there's a huge difference between 10 or 12 and 5 or 6.  Right now, my oldest is five and I wouldn't even consider letting her see any of those movies (and frankly I don't think they'd interest her).  Once my kids break the double digit mark, I foresee myself being pretty permissive... at least when I can be there to supervise.
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 05:01:34 AM »

As has already been said, it all depends on the viewer and the movie.  Some stuff is just too brutal, like Texas Chainsaw.  Some of it is fine, like Evil Dead 2 or Killer Klowns, because they're violent but they're so goofy.  And there are a lot of really violent movies that have so many adult themes that kids just wouldn't get and regardless of getting to hear a grown up say f**k, would just be bored by the film.  And some kids are more mature than others, they get the difference between movies and reality, and some don't.
If you want your kid to get into cool b-movie stuff but don't want them on the violence right away, start 'em out like I got started.  50's radioactive monster movies like Godzilla and It Came From Beneath the Sea, and of course there's no kid in the world who wouldn't be mezmerised by Doctor Who.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 11:56:50 AM »

I gotta hand it to you Evil Matt... You are one fine example of a father for setting those grond rules. There are way too many ignorant parents now days.
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 12:00:49 PM »

>50's radioactive monster movies like Godzilla and It Came From Beneath the Sea, and of course there's no kid in the world who wouldn't be mezmerised by Doctor Who.

Wow, I didn't think anybody really cared about these films anymore. I totally dig Dr. Who!!!
Susan
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 12:20:56 PM »

How can it be harmful for children to watch? Just look at us, we turned out ok!

uhhh..yeah

Flangepart

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 02:23:04 PM »

I'm with Brother Rag. The 50's stuff is perfect. Show 'em the original Godzilla, then the U.S. version, then challange 'em to tell you the differances. Teach 'em critical analyasis early.
Brutal films, no. Cartooney films, go for it.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 04:53:34 PM »

EVIL DEAD 2 I would have much less problem showing to a younger kid...its tone isn't nearly as serious as the first.

There's no telling what might scare a child...I remember one of my cousins being scared to death of THE DARK CRYSTAL when she was little.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2003, 07:14:51 PM »

Until he was about  12 I never let my son see anything that was overtly violent , had a lot  of cussing or nudity,  or  a lot of adullt themed stuff. A lot of movies in the 80's and early  90' s were rated R for good reason.  I used to see people in the local video store with their 8 year old kids picking up the latest slasher movie ( something I don't care much for myself, unlike a lot of people here ).  I usually would rent  a comedy or other pg rated movie for everyone to watch and save the R rated stuff for  Dad and Mom (if should could stay awake) to watch later.

Both my kids are young adults now  and appreciate me doing this for them.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
JohnL

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 09:16:54 PM »

>How can it be harmful for children to watch? Just look at us, we turned out ok!

I agree. I watched slasher and other violent movies and so far I've never put anyone through a wood chipper that didn't deserve it. :)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2003, 10:17:01 PM »

I watched plenty of B-movies when I was a kid.

See how I turned out?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  How many of you believe that B films are bad for younger viewers? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.