Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:35:05 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Battlestar Galatica:First impressions « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Battlestar Galatica:First impressions  (Read 2443 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 09, 2003, 03:50:32 AM »

Now admitadly I had never watched many of the old Battlestar Galactica tv shows, so I don't know much of the lore behind the series.Now from what I have seen of Scifi channels new Battlestar Galatica I would have to say its looking pretty damn good.This new series of movies takes place aparently some 40 years after the events in the original tv show.Humanity has become rather complacent during this long period of peace and is unready for the massive Cylon attack which quickly destroys most of the humans fleet.I won't say much else about the story, but it is really pretty good.Its looking like this will be a very brutal little series.The first episode dosn't wimp out on being brutal, as you will see pretty quickly.The special effects are great, the acting verys from actor to actor,and don't worry there are alot of elements from the old tv series that are in this one, including the Viper fighters
I know that there has been alot of b***hing about Scifi Channel sucking, Ive done my fair share of this too, and even though most of are opinions on Scifi are very valid, I think that many of you who think that this mini-series will suck should give it a chance.One of the things I don't understand about Scifi is why there mini-series are usually really good but the rest of there programing sucks so bad.

Post Edited (12-09-03 03:02)

Smells like popcorn and shame
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 05:18:14 AM »

Admittedly SciFi can stink, this one, at least the first offering, seems pretty good.  Edward James Olmos is always a pleasure; his Adama is far less magesterial or pompous than Lorne Greene's.  The Vipers are sleeker, the Cylon ships are all automated, the effects top-notch.  I was never a huge fan of the original BG, too overblown and overhyped for my taste, but this one kicks ass.  Hopefully this will herald a new age for the SciFi channel.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 12:05:01 PM »

I posted about this on my original posting about this show. This is in line to become a series if the ratings are good.

I really liked the FX (the Vipers have attitude and directional thrusters). This is also a very realistic portrayal of a militarty operation.  A lot of people thought the miniseries was going to be all sexed up, but the only sex I saw was relevant to the plot.

My only problem is that I can't watch part 2 until Wednesday when they reshow it. Have to go to my  wife's office Christmas party.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Flangepart

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 01:46:49 PM »

Still has the downer of the "Holocost survivor" aspect to the plot. Anyone else find that part a problim?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 02:12:15 PM »

Sorry Trek wasn't trying to steal your post.But your post came out before the mini-series, and I figured it would be appropriate to do one after watching it.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 03:41:59 PM »

Awwww.. you guys.. I'm jealous... I didn't get to see the premiere. I don't think I get the Sc-Fi Channel.. : (
ElectroSunDog
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 02:03:31 PM »

This series has "The Forever War" written all over it! You can't fool me!
There's going to be a bunch of Vietnam references popping up at SOME point, and I'm gonna say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!"
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 03:31:55 PM »

I have been watching it and I like it. I didn't watch BG before. The only problem I have with it is some of the camera moves during battle scenes. Reminds me of the GI Jane battle scenes ..gets kinda annoying. Otherwise I am enthralled.
JohnL

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 07:44:08 PM »

>This new series of movies takes place aparently some 40 years after the events
>in the original tv show.

No, within the context of the plot, this miniseries and the original show aren't connected at all. They simply used a couple of the original props as museum pieces in an effort to try and appease fans of the old show.

I thought it moved too slowly. Taken had the same problem. Instead of expanding the story to fill the time, they take a plot that could have been told in half the time and pad it out with lots of filler. Does the new president having cancer really make an impact on the story? Does having Adama and his son argue really help the plot? Does making Starbuck an a***ole make the story more interesting? For the first hour, nothing much happened. Unless I'm forgetting something, there was only one battle in the entire miniseries.

As I wrote on the IMDB, it was well made, but if they wanted to do something new, they should have created a new show and not attached the name Battlestar Galactica to it. Now that they've created this, all hope of the fans getting the BG they wanted is now gone. :(
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Battlestar Galatica:First impressions « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.