Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:55:47 AM
712926 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What's Your Favorite Movie? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Movie?  (Read 3866 times)
Cricket21a
Dedicated Viewer

« on: December 13, 2003, 06:35:31 AM »

I know it's hard to pick one but if you could, what do you think it would be?
Mine would be The Dark Crystal.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
Stephen Hawking
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 06:51:10 AM »

"Flash Gordon".

I realize that it's poorly acted, the effects are lame, the writing is subpar at best, and the movie is just generally stupid.

BUT...

Every single time it comes on TV, I sit down and watch it start to finish.  And I enjoy the hell out of it every time.  And a little while ago I figured out why I like it so much.

There's a scene where Flash attacks "War Rocket Ajax" with a squad of Hawkmen, and Queen's "Battle Theme" is blasting in the background.  As I was watching it, I said to myself "This movie needs to start rocking right freakin' NOW", and just like that, the sound effects give way to a kickass Brian May guitar solo.  And I suddenly realized that the movie was tailor-made for ME.  In short, "Flash Gordon" makes me feel a little bit more special for having seen it.

As for "The Dark Crystal", I saw that in the theater when I was six.  Forty five minutes into it, it dawned on me that they were all puppets.  I haven't been able to watch it since without being really creeped out by it.

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
Cricket21a
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 07:00:40 AM »

<>  Quoted from Evil Matt

What is there to be creeped out by, there are people behind the puppets, and not everything in it was a puppet, the Landstriders in it were actually people on stilts.  I guess you never watched the Muppet Show either?

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
Stephen Hawking
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 07:08:08 AM »

No, I loved the Muppets.  But I sat there thinking that everybody in the movie was an actual person until I saw a few strings, and the whole thing just made me really uneasy after that.  I've got nothing against puppets, per se.  I just don't like it when they're all covert about it.

Eirik
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 07:09:06 AM »

Geez - that's a toss-up.  There's so many different KINDS of movies.  For non-B-movies, my big four prior to 2001 would have to be (in no particular order) Star Wars, Cool Hand Luke, the Godfather, and Dr. Strangelove.  Since 2001 however, the Lord of the Rings movies are taking a place at the top as well.  I'm a fan of the book, and much to my surprise, Jackson's trilogy has blown me away so far.

Evil Matt - Good call on Flash Gordon!  I would have to say that's my favorite B-movie too.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 08:17:24 AM »

The only part that made me jump in The Dark Crystal was when Fizzgig jumps out & growls for the first time.

That scared the hell out of me when I was a kid!

That & seeing a skeksi stripped half naked by his bretheren.

Post Edited (12-13-03 07:18)
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003, 08:59:10 AM »

When it comes to favorite films, it all depends on the genre.

Horror-Evil Dead 1/Dawn Of The Dead

SciFi-Equilibrium

Drama-American History X

Action-Boondock Saints

Comedy-Office Space

Cross Genre-Donnie Darko

Thats just a quick list.  I'm sure it would change if I thought really hard about it.  There are so many fantastic films, that they can't be just "favorite film".  I rank The Matrix as high as I do Equilibrium so there is no easy way to decide.  Even more so with the drama category.  I mean hell, there is still American Beauty, Fargo, Pulp Fiction, Reservior Dogs, LA Confidental, etc.

But if I were to just pick one film out of all that I had ever seen and say it is the absolute no question best; it would be:

Fight Club.

It seems that nobody really gets this film, except for a few people.  The first time I saw the film, I was so completely "in tune" with it.  Fight Club was the film made for me as The Flash was for Evil Matt.  Perfect acting, perfect music (Dust Brothers OWN) and a powerful story with beautiful (dare I say masterful) directing by David Fincher.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2003, 09:26:54 AM »

Not "The Flash".  "Flash Gordon".

Though, sadly, I did kinda like "The Flash" when it was on TV.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 10:13:32 AM »

Sorry, got the two mixed up.  Did mean to say Flash Gordon.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Susan
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 12:54:10 PM »

Nell - tayyy in da weeeeeend, tay an may and tay and may, chicka chicka chickapay!

Just kidding

Does anyone actually have the ultimate favorite movie? I can't imagine it, I have to break my down to genre's and subgenre's and decades and even then it depends on my mood. Whenever i see someone with a top 10 list of favorite films of all time i just have to wonder how? I've seen tens of thousands and can't even begin to make one such small list

But I like Terminator ;-)

Post Edited (12-13-03 11:55)
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 03:53:42 PM »

Probably This Is Spinal Tap. Utterly masterful improv, with two of my all-time heroes (Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer) in lead roles.

Tied for close second are Plan 9 from Outer Space, Pulp Fiction, and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. No matter how many times I see them, they always put me in a great mood.

As for movies that seem tailor made for me... anyone who's seen the movie may think this is kinda weird, but The Dark Backward is so close to my wavelength, it's kinda eerie. The weird-ass setup (struggling comedian grows third arm), the manic performances, the jet-black gross-out humor (Bill Paxton licking stir-fried dog feces off three morbidly obese prostitutes), the against-type casting of Judd Nelson and Wayne Newton, and an oddly sweet ending, to boot.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2003, 08:08:42 PM »

It's not hard for me to pick.  My favorite is THE GODFATHER, with GODFATHER PART II coming in a very close 2nd.  The rest of my favorites are several notches below these movies.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 07:06:25 PM »

I am forever stuck in older films when it comes to my favorites. This is by no means complete, but they're what hit me at the time of posting....

I love DUEL, since it paved the way to movies like THE HITCHER, JOY RIDE and countless other knockoffs.

THE SHINING, because Jack Nicholson is....well, he's just Jack!

NEW JACK CITY, mainly because it showed that Mario Van Peebles could do a good crime-drama movie (then he lost his mind doing movies like SOLO and GUNMEN) and because Chris Rock was perfect as the junkie-trying-to-turn-clean character.

THE EXORCIST, because this is one of the few movies that can still scare me even with multiple viewings.

Finally, ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ. Clint Eastwood, Partick McGoohan and Fred Ward and a young Danny Glover? With a combination like that and based on a true story to boot, this one is great! If you watch carefully, you'll see that about 1/2 of the scenes in this movie were used in SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION....

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2003, 08:04:53 PM »

It depends on mood that will determine the genre. I'll try to pick ones that I can watch over and over again. There are no favorites, but here are some quick picks:

Sword and Sandal - CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Seen 3 times in theater)

Horror - TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (truly insane terror)

Comedy/Horror - RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (or Motel Hell)

Western - FIST FULL OF DYNAMITE (really like this one)

Sci-Fi - STARSHIP TROOPERS (maybe Matrix)

Sci-Fi/Horror - ALIEN II

Fantasy - FLASH GORDON

Adventure - INDIANA JONES (any of them)

Comedy - BLUES BROTHERS (maybe Dr. Strangelove)

Drama - THE MISSION (Saturday Night Fever or Rocky)

Action - FIRST BLOOD (did i just say that?)

Epic - LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (Quo Vidas?)

Musical - WEST SIDE STORY

Martial Arts - ABOVE THE LAW ( I know...............)

B-Movie - PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE

Jayson
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 04:12:41 PM »

I would have to say my top 5 favorites are:

1. Crimson Tide- Awesome performances by Hackman and Denzel!
2. Patton-George C Scott was great
3. Clerks--My all time fave comedy!
4. Schindlers List-A Masterpiece
5. Ran-Kurosawa does it again!

"Maybe death will stop yer yammering"--Marge Simpson
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What's Your Favorite Movie? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.