Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:06:43 PM
714251 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why do we like Romero's films? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do we like Romero's films?  (Read 1266 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: December 18, 2003, 11:34:00 AM »

I started thinking about this last night after unsuccesfully attempting to get my wife to watch Dawn Of The Dead.  I told her that it was quite possibly the best horror film ever made.

And then I wondered why.

He's not quite and amazing director and the screenplays are sometimes cheesy.  But why then is it that we love his films?  I understand that yes this is a bad movie site, but I'm looking at it from the POV of a regular film viewer.  

So anyone, any thoughts on why his films are so good?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 12:52:19 PM »

I think only one of his films is really great, his first.  The rest have varying degrees of success and failure, DAWN is about 20 minutes too long, has weak acting, and it's debatable whether some of the humor works for the movie or not...I always liked it but some have said it's silly and takes away from the impact of the movie.  So I can see why someone might not like it.   I'm itching to see the Argento cut, because I think it might trim a lot of the fat and have more Goblin music to boot.
I still think DAWN is a good movie overall because the stuff that works is really great.   KNIGHTRIDERS rounds out the top 3 for me.  None of his other stuff has really worked for me.   I used to like MARTIN when I was in my teens but I tried to watch it a few months ago and just could not get into it.  Way too slow.

If I had to pick only one of his to watch it would be NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, which is my favorite horror film of all time.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 01:28:09 PM »

I wish we could put George Romero, Wes Craven, Tobe Hooper, and David Cronenberg into a time machine and send them back to the 1970s.  We would end up with some great horror movies to watch.  It seems like they left all of their creativity behind in a time warp or something.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 03:34:43 AM »

Can we throw John Carpenter, Spielberg, and George Lucas in there while we're at it?

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
Chopper2
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 09:11:14 AM »

Romero is by no means a perfect filmmaker, but who is? Everyone has their successes and failures and it's really not Romero's falt he hasn't made some grandoise horror film in a while because the studios know he's creative and they don't want to "gamble" with him. I think the thing about Romero's films I love the most is his ability to create great atmosphere.

"There is no whole
      there is a hole in the world."  -Thursday
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why do we like Romero's films? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.