Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:42:13 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Big Budget Bad Movie of the Year « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Big Budget Bad Movie of the Year  (Read 3636 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: December 20, 2003, 01:16:24 PM »

The worst one I saw this year was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.  Which would you nominate?

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 08:14:39 PM »

I agree 100% on League of Extraordinary Gentleman...
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 08:54:08 PM »

I didn't see it, but I heard THE HULK wasn't very good. Not sure if it cost alot.

trekgeezer

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 10:50:14 PM »

I really kinda liked  The Hulk. I think a lot of people didn't  because it was Ang Lee's version. Some of it is pretty cool.

Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 10:59:45 PM »

Gigli was atrocious. Even though I prefer the superhero Daredevil to the Hulk, I think the Hulk was a superior movie.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
I luv dolma
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2003, 12:42:12 AM »

I haven't seen Cat in the Hat, but I know it sucks. It already made the low ratings chart at imdb.com, and plus the budget of the film was around 90 million. Sadly, the film has already taken in more then it cost to make the film. It was risky, but they made it...some how.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2003, 04:39:21 AM »

I was looking at the numbers on CAT and it sounds like they've barely broken even.  It'll make a profit, but probably not as much as they were hoping.  Trouble is, after merchandising, foreign receipts and home video, most movies end up making a decent profit.  

I've avoided most of the big budget stuff this year.    I'd say probably CAT IN THE HAT just because the whole idea of the movie is repulsive...turning a classic children's book into 90 minutes of merchandising.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2003, 03:09:29 PM »

*ahem* I uh..*ahem* don't , please don't flame me for this but ..I actually enjoyed watching "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" my brother saw it with me and we both liked it , maybe I set my expetations SO low that I found the movie fun. But I asked for the comic book for christmas just so I could see what they changed, (don't hurt me.) (Runs away)

Anyway I'd vote for "Cat in the Hat".

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
trekgeezer

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 03:59:30 PM »

I'm not going to flame you.  There were actually some good parts in it.  It was just one of those movies for me that had something missing.  To my understanding  it 's nothing like the comic. Dorian Gray was added and the Tom Sawyer character was put in just to have an American.

I think one problem  with it was that Sean Connery was in the editing room making sure he was in just about every scene. There was a rumor that he and the director had almost  come to physical blows on the set.

I guess I was just really disappointed by it. I kinda like the whole 'steam punk' aspect of  stories like this, making versions of modern devices from antique materials and power sources.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 06:45:16 PM »

Yeah I know they added Tom Sawyer in just to have a American in it (no big loss) and I know Dorian Gray was another add in (no big loss there either) but I'm a little excited to see what the comic is like, I've heard it's really good.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
yaddo42
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 03:44:40 PM »

I been wanting to see LXG just to see how bad it is compared to the comic series, and I skipped it in the theaters. The only movie critic I heard of who really liked it is the entertainment editor in my local newspaper, and after years of reading the guy's stuff I've figured out he has no taste. Even his attempts at appreciating bad and cult movies is tame and very lame.

The scary thing is that I've been to Hollywood Video twice since LXG came out on video, including on the release date. All their copies on DVD and VHS were checked out. Even stuff like "Seabiscuit" and other recent releases of big movies weren't that hard to come by.
eve666
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2003, 08:19:45 PM »

Maybe some of you enjoyed it but I saw this movie and I thougth it was bad
I'm talikng about Bad Boys II. I love Will Smilth and Martin Lawrence, and I admired the fact that they did not do BOOTY- VIOLENCE-SEX movies. the first Bad Boys is my favorite movie ever, it has just the rigth amount of violence and cussing. Needledd to say I was anxiosly awaiting a part II. What a great big disapointment.
It was trash....they gave in to the masses. There was an excruciating amount of profanity, needless nudity and over the top non-sense violence. I for one am very disapointed in Mr. Smith and Mr Lawrence.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2003, 09:43:06 PM »

I haven't seen it and I don't want to.

I didn't particularly care for the first film to begin with.

I like Ebert's final opinion of Bad Boys 2 best of all...here it is:  

"There was once a time when a hero would sacrifice his own life rather than injure innocent bystanders. No longer. The heroes of "Bad Boys II" are egotistical monsters, concerned only with their power, their one-liners, their weapons, their cars, their desires. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that characters who wipe out a village can also make cruel jokes at the expense of a kid on his first date. Everybody involved in this project needs to do some community service."

Post Edited (12-22-03 20:44)
Chris K.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2003, 10:00:56 PM »

Sorry, but whose idea was it to let Michael Bay go behind a 35mm Panavision camera in the first place? Sorry Michael Bay, but BAD BOYS 2 is about as worse as ARMAGEDDON or PEARL HARBOR, and that is saying something.

I also nominate THE CAT IN THE HAT and (drumroll) GIGLI.
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2003, 09:44:14 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but LXG sounded so much like THE SPECIALS that I couldn't bring myself to see it.

Perhaps on rental night, I may take the dare.....

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Big Budget Bad Movie of the Year « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.