Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:13:37 PM
714377 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Actors whose movies you want to be good....but know they probably won't be « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Actors whose movies you want to be good....but know they probably won't be  (Read 2025 times)
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 21, 2003, 09:11:55 AM »

Been pretty busy lately and haven't had much time for movies or visiting the board. This weekend, i was off and got the chance to watch The League of Extraordinary Gentleman. I'm a huge Sean Connery fan, and I've been looking forward to this flick for a while and I so wanted it to be good. But, I always kinda knew it wouldn't be. I'm really not sure what I didn't like about this film, it wasn't god-awful, just wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Maybe I expect too much from Old Eye Brows, and was just disappointed that this wasn't his best effort.

Do you have any actors(actresses) whom you like very much and want to see do well, but you just know it's gonna end up crappy? Anyone who maybe should have called it quits a few pictures ago. Or, am I just a demanding bastard?

Oh yeah...if anything is mis-spelled or otherwise gramatically incorrect, I don't care! I'm bigger than you are...and if not, I am much better armed. Just goofin' love you guys!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Fearless_Freep
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 09:15:30 AM »

Harrison Ford..I really like him but, he's movies are really hit and miss sometimes

Other than that, my er...favorite actors are guys like  Rutger Hauer, Christher Lambert,  Tim Thomerson, Lance Henricksen, etc...so...what do I expect?
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 10:00:25 AM »

David Carradine.  He has shown flashes of talent from time to time, but I get the feeling that he cares more about working and making a few bucks than he cares about the quality of the product.  He got himself into the B-Movie world many years ago and has not been able to get himself out of it.

If you watch movies like BOUND FOR GLORY and AMERICANA, as well as the original KUNG-FU series, it seems like he cared about what he was doing.  Compare those efforts to garbage like P.O.W.: THE ESCAPE and KUNG-FU: THE NEXT GENERATION, and you will see how he sold himself out.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 12:13:19 PM »

Part of me wishes Jean Claude Van Damme could get back into the mainstream. Sure, his movies were usually duds, but he never ceased to entertain me.

Anytime I go to Blockbuster and can't decide, there's almost always a new independent Van Damme film on the rack to choose from. Someone out there still has faith in him....

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 04:04:41 PM »

Eddie Murphy was once great on screen . 48 Hours, the original Beverly Hills Cop, but now he seems a lot funnier in his voice over roles like Mulan and Shrek.  

I didn't see Pluto Nash,  but I heard it was so bad that it only  brought in like $4 million.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Genetic Mishap
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 12:20:01 AM »

Gilbert Gottfried.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 01:23:14 PM »

I saw Gilbert on the Tonight Show handing out prizes in a elf suit. He made some comment like "Tell me if you find my career."

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
yaddo42
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 04:16:15 PM »

Actors who I like but their careers derailed, lost steam, or otherwise slid into striaght-to-video low budget hell:

David Carradine - may get a Robert Forester-style boost from "Kill Bill" though

Rutger Hauer - also getting a bit of a come back from supporting roles and TV, career went south when he got fat

Steve Railsback - proved he can act with "The Stunt Man" and "Helter Skelter" but has been doing s**t like "Blue Monkey" and "Escape 2000" for 25 years now.

Sean Connery - looks tired in everything now. Only Catherine Zeta-Jones and her ass in that leather outfit made "Entrapment" worth watching. He should take a lesson from actors like Paul Newman, Michael Caine, and Gene Hackman. As they aged they began to seek out roles playing against type, roles that suited their age, and quit just chasing money to make lots of crap (something all four of them have been guilty of over the years). Sean, you're loaded, you're 20 years past the action roles, and you have an Oscar, you can afford to be picky now.

Peter O'Toole - I always hold out hope that he will get a chance to shine in one last stand out role, since he still wants to really win an Oscar rather than just the Lifetime Achievement one he got. Bless him for still trying and being a trouper, but he's been in some duds for a while.

Vin Diesel - I had hope for him after "Boiler Room" and "Pitch Black" to have a Kurt Russell type career as an action flick guy who can still handle serious drama when he wants. But he's been p**sing away his time in crap ever since, He'll be lucky to be this generation's pale version of Charles Bronson at this rate.

Jet Li - (American films only) I guess his very poor English has limited his choices, but when you start to star in flicks with hip-hop stars you are more likely to wind up like Steven Segal rather than have real crossover success like Jackie Chan.
BlackAngel
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2003, 04:31:01 AM »

Cuba Gooding Jr.  From good roles as Boys in the Hood and Jerry Maguire to crap like Snow Dogs.  You decide.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bulls**t, I still can't hear you, sound off like you got a pair.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 01:00:38 PM »

Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I'm a big Arnold fan. I loved every movie he starred in up to Eraser, with the exception of Junior. I even liked Last Action Hero, and I watch Pumping Iron about once a year. After Eraser, I have been disappointed by every Arnie flick to be released — Jingle All the Way, Batman and Robin, End of Days, Sixth Day, Collateral Damage, and even Terminator 3, to some degree.

It's not that he's getting old. He's still believable as an action hero, but he has changed, and his movies have changed. Except for Batman and Robin, which clearly sucked and wasn't really an Arnold movie, it's hard to put my finger on what I don't like about Arnie's later movies. Maybe it's that he's trying to be an actor, rather than simply an action hero. Give me Col. Matrix, Ben Richards, Dutch or Conan over any of his later characters.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Actors whose movies you want to be good....but know they probably won't be « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.