Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:37:28 AM
714329 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  2 Favorite African-American Actors « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2 Favorite African-American Actors  (Read 3581 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: December 22, 2003, 07:08:34 PM »

We usually end up talking about mostly white actors and actresses on here.

I thought I'd ask you what your two favorite black actors and/or actresses are.

I'd have to say that my current favorite is Don Cheadle.  You might remember him...he played the angel in "The Family Man" along with Nick Cage and he also played Buck Swope in "Boogie Nights".
This guy is great in pretty much every film he's in.
Click on the link below to watch a totally kick-ass short film with him in it.  It was directed by Tony Scott.
It's called "Ticker" and is about 8 minutes and 40 seconds long.  If you do view it, it's best to download it and then watch it for better picture quality.
Be sure to let us know what you thought of "Ticker".

http://usa.bmwfilms.com/clap.asp?template=synopsis&country=usa&film=ticker

My other favorite would have to be Bernie Mac.
This guy constantly cracks me up!
His show is very good also.

What are two of your favorites?

Post Edited (12-23-03 02:28)
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 07:27:24 PM »

Its hard to nail it down to two, I'd say.  I also like Don Cheadle (first saw him in Hamburger Hill, which remains one of my favorites).  

Others:

Courtney B. Vance (Hamburger Hill, Hunt for Red October, now on tv's L&O:CI)
Samuel L. Jackson (Airplane, Pulp Fiction, etc, etc, etc)
Morgan Freeman (Seven, Lean On Me, etc. etc.)
Larry Fishburn (New Jack City, Bad Company, etc)
Mario Van Peeples (New Jack City, Heartbreak Ridge, etc)

I'd put Eddie Murphy on the list only on the strength of his earlier work - Trading Places is a movie my wife and I generally watch several times a year; it's one of those stand-by "we can't think of anything we want to watch" movies.  As for his newer stuff, besides voice work in Shrek, I have not seen a thing he has done.

I also enjoyed Will Smith in "Independence Day" and "Men In Black," but I would not go see a movie just because Will Smith is in it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Susan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 08:26:48 PM »

sidney poitier - always one of my favorite actors

Fearless_Freep
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 10:15:19 PM »

Denzel Washington

Samuel Jackson in small dosages
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 10:25:37 PM »

Morgan Freeman and Cuba Gooding Jr. Both are incredibly versatile in their roles and have gone from one end of the acting spectrum to the other.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 02:14:53 AM »

Don Cheadle rules!

As for my 2 favorites, I'm gonna have to go with Sam Jackson and Richard Roundtree (because he played Shaft, dammit!).

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
BlackAngel
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 04:15:18 AM »

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I have to say Sam Jackson as well.  I saw him in The Negotiator and he was great.  And also, Wesley Snipes.  Because I think he's the only brother to be man enough to go drag (muscles and all) in Too Wong Fu, (Noxima indeed...) and still is respected when he starts kicking ass in both Blade movies and ultimately the way he avoided Tommy Lee Jones in U. S. Marshalls like a black man avoiding the bill collector that's chasing him.
-----------------------------------------------------
Bulls**t, I still can't hear you, sound off like you got a pair.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 01:57:35 PM »

On the serious side, Sidney Poitier and Denzel Washington

On the exploitation side, Richard Roundtree and Jim Brown

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2003, 01:18:22 AM »

I friggin' forgot about Carl Weathers.  I like him just a little bit better than Sam Jackson, I think.

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2003, 04:37:17 AM »

Hey, whatabout Scatman Crothers?
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2003, 05:18:09 AM »

William Marshall, reared in Shakespeare, mired for a while in Star Trek, resurrected as Blacula, then as the King of Cartoons on Pee Wee's Playhouse.  Sadly this commanding presence left us forever earlier this year of Alzheimer's disease.  
And of course Ossie Davis--JFK in Bubba Ho-Tep-.  An enduring icon, the best Thing in Do the Right Thing, speaker at both Malcom X and Martin Luther King Jr.s funerals, and the unmistakeable voice of ANCF--"A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
DARKWOLF
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2003, 12:45:26 AM »

I can't not decide I like all of them. Oh man William Marshall has died he was also my favorite a great actor in Tv, and Films also he had one of the best voices.
DARKWOLF
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2003, 12:54:19 AM »

I can't  decide I like all of them. Oh man William Marshall has died he was also my favorite a great actor in Tv, and Films also he had one of the best voices.
JohnL

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2003, 03:20:34 AM »

I'd have to say Morgan Freeman and Laurence Fishburn.
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2003, 06:43:46 AM »

I'll list Morgan Freeman, Denzel Wahington, and Samual Jackson.  Not because they're my favorite balck actors, but because they're among my favorite actors and they happen to be black.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  2 Favorite African-American Actors « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.