Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:57:22 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Faculty (1998) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Faculty (1998)  (Read 994 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: December 28, 2003, 10:48:10 PM »

THE FACULTY (1998) - Frodo (Elijah Wood) saves the world in this INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS/SHIVERS type film only using teens. They put good effort into this film and it's entertaining, but they ruin it with the drug dealer being one of the hero's and drugs killing off the parent alien. Though it was an original mix of idea's the drug parts weren't  necessary. The film is directed by Robert Rodriguez of DESPARADO fame. USA network showed an edited version tonight.

FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 12:07:12 AM »

As point of reference, at one point the guy admits that the drugs are just mostly caffeine, sugar and other household supplies....which almost makes sense as caffeine is a diuretic

Other than that, let's here it for the Law of Conservation of Matter

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
JohnL

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 03:05:05 AM »

The one thing I didn't like about The faculty was the idea that if they kill off the queen, that all the other aliens would die. How did they even know there was a queen?
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 04:03:13 AM »

I always thought it would be so painful to have little aliens blown into my face at high speed and then have them slither out of my face slower than they entered and then see them fall to the ground and die after the queen was dead.

Remember that scene from the end of the movie?

The queen shoots a load...er...bunch into Wood's face and then they all come back out of his face slowly?

OUCH!!!

Post Edited (01-02-04 04:02)
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 06:03:03 AM »

I actually enjoyed this film.  It's not good, but it's decent trash.  I actually thought that the drug dealer's caffine shots killing the alien was a pretty original take.  My biggest problem was the concept of people snorting caffine and sugar.  OUCH.  Plau, chaces are it would make you cough and hack a buttload, rather than being a bit of a boost.  On a dare, when I was stupid and sixteen, I snorted sugar.  It's not the fun you'd think.

Please, help to end apostrophy abuse.  Plurals don't use apostrophies.  Ever.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
yaddo42
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 01:07:58 PM »

I've never liked this one much, and it's always bothered me more than it should have. I think it would have been better with a smaller budget, no name actors, and shoddier looking effects. It's like a monster movie version of "Scream" without as much self-aware wit, not as much fun as the bad movies that inspired it.

The respected actors and recognizable faces are distracting, and the noxious prescence of Harry Knowles even more so. Did that pantload blackmail his way into the movie? He looks like a member of the crew wandering into the shot. Josh Hartnett is in Keanu Reeves, Jr. mode also in this one, showing how bad an actor he is even in this kind of fluff.

The weak plot and its holes I would let slide in a true B-movie, but here you know the people involved know better. The "drug dealer" cop-out seems like a way of avoiding ratings board trouble, he's not a real dealer he's just a kid selling homemade no-doze to guilible kids. Wouldn't a real b-movie or exploitation flick have made the kid really a dealer? The alien queen's human identity is never in doubt, she was the new kid and too clean cut anyway. Don't trust the outsider to the group, even among a group of "outsiders"!

I guess that's how much I hate this flick, that I've overthought what should have been a fun dumb movie.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 09:34:00 PM »

Yea, the story had a lot of things that didn't make sense. Like the girls in the gym as being infested, but it had many almost good effects with the fingers being cut off, the pencil though the hand, the head and body sperated and trying to get together, and the old lady in the shower. The effects are CGI and that to was a minor drawback.

onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 05:15:47 AM »

Yeah, it was dumb, but if you overlook the big names, the film is still fun.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
JohnL

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 09:13:18 PM »

>The queen shoots a a load...er...bunch into Wood's face and then they all come
>back out of his face slowly?

And they did it without leaving any marks whatsoever. Personally, I think having alien parasites burrow into your face and then work their way out again would leave big ragged holes in your skin.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Faculty (1998) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.