Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:09:16 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Alucarda (1975) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alucarda (1975)  (Read 2151 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: December 31, 2003, 12:56:57 AM »

ALUCARDA (1975) - This film lives up to the hype on the DVD cover. What a great one from Mexico. The director Juan Lopez Moctezuma also assisted Alejandro Jodorowsky in directing EL TOPO (1970).  This is not a B Movie, but in fact a very good film with alot of screaming, massive blood, and nudity. So beware to those who "hate" those things : ) The story takes place in a convent and a new arrival gets caught up with Alucara and first meet gypses and enter a tomb/church. They become satanist (I think Alucarda was from the beginning) and then all sorts of things break loose. The look, feel, sets, flaming monks/nuns, and just everything work  in this film. The director had private investors and was able to have a free hand in the direction of this film. Well done.

The DVD itself is distributed by Mondo Macabro: The Wild Side of World Cinema. The extras are good also as they include the trailer, documentary about the director, Interview about film and Mexican film industry, stills gallery, and a written  text Q&A  interview with the director (deceased).

jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 02:06:48 AM »

Yeah, this is a great release.  Probably one of the best of the "demonic nun" movies that came out in the Seventies.  A lot of them were rip-offs of THE DEVILS, but this is one of the few that is less of an imitator and more of a peer, because it's just as wild and out-of-control as Ken Russell's film.
Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 01:24:02 PM »

Yea, ALUCARDA is way out there. I seen the DVD on the shelve a few months ago and read the cover and then looked up more info on the internet which caused me to seek it out. I wasn't dissappointed.

Also seen THE DEVILS which is a very good film that you don't hear that much about.

Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 12:37:49 PM »

this sounds pretty interesting Scott. I've always been a big fan of El Topo, I even have the soundtrack on vinyl. talk about some creepy tunes.
Scott

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 04:53:19 PM »

Haven't seen EL TOPO and I am still trying to find a copy of EL TOPO and HOLY MOUNTAIN. It's high on my list of obscure films.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 06:20:50 PM »

I've had my eye on this for months.  Isn't the DVD in full-screen format?  I have hesitated to buy it because it isn't widescreen.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 07:38:53 PM »

Yep, its full screen Burgomaster, but still worth the viewing.

Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 09:47:49 PM »

yeah i hear you Scott, they are both tough to find. the only companies i've ever seen carry them are bootleg ones, those are the only versions i've ever rented. be careful though in your El Topo search because most copies i've seen on video are laser disc tranfers from a foreign country that censors some of nudity and various orafaces in some scenes. i've always thought it might have been Japan since they were the some of the 1st to have laser discs. good luck in your search though, i think the net would be your best bet for both films.
Scott

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 11:35:11 PM »

I've seen El TOPO available on EBAY for under $10 on VHS. He claims it's not a bootleg and he offers many copies on EBAY.

Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 01:53:05 AM »

Alucarda is Adracula spelled backwards.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Alucarda (1975) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.