Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:40:56 PM
714217 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  comments on Time Travel « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: comments on Time Travel  (Read 882 times)
B0SoxSuk (Austin)
Dedicated Viewer

« on: January 07, 2004, 11:29:27 PM »

Seeing as how about 50 of you replied to Andy's post, I decided to post this so everyone could read it.  Thought you might find it interesting.

For those of you that took college physics, quantum physics, and celestial mechanics (I have, but it ISN'T my major), please correct me if any of my info is false.

I'm not sure about traveling back in time.  I do have a belief about traveling foward though.   According to Einstein's theory of Relativity, if you could move at the speed of light for a period of time and somehow get back to earth, you would return in a time that to you may have been minutes or even seconds.  However, from the viewpoint of everyone that is on earth during your journey, it may have been a period of months or even years.

I believe that there was a movie or two that might have made use of this theory of time travel.  Does anybody know of any?

It sounds as ridiculous as any other theory about time travel.  However, I'm not sure that it's really a "theory" at all as the common misconception about theories is that they are not proven but are actually ideas or hypothesis.  This is wrong; theories typically have an overwhelming amount of evidence to support them.  In essence, there are no (outside the bound of the theory of Relativity) that can even be considered as theories about time travel.  

So if you're looking for proof or an actual theory on time travel.  Look into Einstein's work on quantum mechanics and celestial physics.  If you want instant gratification or some kind of explanation that might help you believe that some sort of time travel actually exists, I'll take a stab at it.  

Einstein actually recorded and witnessed this (apparently as a boy, although I can't be sure).  Imagine a train passing by as you watch it at a perfect 90 degree angle.  At noontime, light from the sun will pass directly downwards through the top of a cattle car through cracks in the roof.  You would think that the light, which travels at 2.998 x 10^8 m/s (about 186,000 mps), would simply pass straight down and hit the point on the floor of the car DIRECTLY below the point that it touched on the roof.  But it doesn't.  The light actually BENDS; it hits a point farther back from the point that you would think it would hit (in the opposite direction that the train is traveling).  Now I don't believe that Einstein actually saw this as a boy, but I know that he proved it to be true.  If you want to really understand what the hell this has to do with Einstein's theory and the possibility of time travel,  I suggest you check out some of his work AND a little experiment that was performed with a certain jetplane and an atomic clock.  

Oh yeah, Andy.  I wanted to ask you...I didn't quite understand your connection between a time machine and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.  I don't see how the relationship between momentum and position (if you know your exact position, you cannot know your exact momentum and vice versa) has anything to do with how a time machine might change the course of history.  Maybe I'm missing something.  Fill me in.  And oh yeah, sorry (if this is irritating) for liking science (and science fiction) so much.

In case anyone missed my question...Does anyone know of any movies that include the use of Einstein's theory to (if you haven't figured it out yet, everything the equation E=mc^2 is based upon) explain the possible existence of time travel?

LATE
Eirik
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 12:36:21 AM »

I think the closest people will come to "time travel" will be folks cryogenically frozen and thawed out many years later as in Planet of the Apes, Aliens, Futurama, or the yet-to-be-made Ted Williams Story (thought you'd like that BoSoxSuk :) ).  While that isn't really time travel per se, it would simulate it for the person who was frozen.
Eirik
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 12:38:31 AM »

Oh and to answer your question - didn't Star Trek 3 or 4 have them go back in time using Einstein's theory to save a bunch of dolphins or something?
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 08:56:54 AM »

Actually it was whales.  

And they went around the sun or something to go back in time.....I don't remember.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  comments on Time Travel « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.