Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:22:53 AM
714211 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies Hated For A Single Scene « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Movies Hated For A Single Scene  (Read 7071 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: January 10, 2004, 06:53:38 AM »

I watched "Trainspotting" recently with a friend.

I've seen it about a hundred times while it was his first viewing.

He has kids & I do not.

He absolutely refused to watch the rest of the movie after baby Dawn dies in her crib.  
If you've seen it then you know the scene.
The characters are so wasted on heroin for God knows how long that their neglect of the child inevitably leads to it's death in its crib.

My friend stated that he hated the entire film based solely on that single scene....even though he didn't finish watching all of it.
I chastised him for being closed minded and being too presumptious....which he very much is on a number of issues.
I tried to explain that the film was about more than just that...if he'd only watch further.
He blatantly rejected.

I became irritated at his subsequent rantings for the next few minutes about why they would show something like that in a film.
I argued in favor of the film's gritty, hardcore realism about difficult life and heroin addiction but he would have none of it.
He left and I haven't heard from him since and that was 3 days ago.

I simply cannot understand his reaction.....even if I had children I would not react in such a manner as he did.

Have you or anyone you know hated an entire film solely because of one single scene?

Post Edited (01-21-04 07:30)
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 09:46:34 AM »

I just saw Trainspotting for the first time about three months ago.  At the time my daughter was six months old, so the dead baby scene did hit me extremely hard.  I did cry at that scene being as it was so harsh.

But I do thank any movie that can make you feel such extreme emotions.  Overall I loved the film.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 10:13:41 AM »

I used to love the movie Se7en. Great acting, awesome scripting, and the ending totally blew me away. I couldn't watch this movie enough.
One of my friends behaved very similar to your buddy, ASH. He visited me when I was watching it and he said if I kept watching he'd have to leave. His son was 5 at the time, home with his mom. When I asked him why, it's such an awesome movie! His response was, "When you have kids, you'll understand."

Ever since my daughter was born, I can't watch this movie anymore. I know there are evil people like that in the world, and the very idea of killing a pregnant woman DISGUSTS me..

It doesn't necessarily mean I "hate" this film for a particular scene, it means that sometimes my own personal convictions get unsettled by graphic scenes in some movies. Some people are just more verbal about it than others.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Max Gardner
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 10:56:01 AM »

Signs.  The last two minutes destroy an otherwise frightening, remarkably claustrophobic film.  It's as if someone else took over during the last three minutes.  They show you the alien.  The musical score becomes intrusive and overpowering.  Worst of all, they dump a truckload of indefensible religious nonsense on you.  What went wrong?
Susan
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 11:54:13 AM »

what a concidence, before reading this thread I just got finished replying on another about disturbing movies and i just brought that up about the baby. Not only it dying but him having hallucinations of it on the ceiling is very disturbing.  I'm not easily disturbed by movies and while it does provide a shock value for the addiction issue..i can't view it

Post Edited (01-10-04 10:56)
Johnny Z
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 05:21:21 PM »

I'm not going to narrow it down to a single movie, but if  there is a romantic scene (not banging like animals) in the middle of a good slasher or monster film or at the end, it kills it for me.

If it's on Cinemax past midnight, it has to be bad.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 06:35:42 PM »

For reasons that are difficult (if not impossible) to explain, I can no longer (within the past few years) watch any scene involving suicide by gunshot to the head.  But that is not to say that necessarily those scenes ruin an entire movie for me, but the discomfort factor is just too much to be entertained by it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jayson
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 08:52:10 PM »

For me..it was probably that scene in T3 when the now extremely whiney John Connor tells us that his mother Sara Connor died of....Luekemia!!!!! It just blew me away that after T1 and T2 show the extreme struggle that she went thru fighting and fighting and more fighting to save her son from the various Terminators that she would end up drooping dead...from a disease! What a total letdown!

"Maybe death will stop yer yammering"--Marge Simpson
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 12:18:58 AM »

Pretty much any movie that introduces a kid half way through the movie just so the main charector can show his soft side.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Eirik
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 08:30:04 AM »

I really liked Trainspotting, but I first saw it before I had any kids.  I admit that babies dying tends to kill any movie for me now.  But it can also make some movies more powerful for me.  Monster's Ball hit me like a freight train - Halle Berry deserved that Oscar.  

I don't like watching Pet Cemetary or Trainspotting now.

I have a friend who once cheated on his wife and they reconciled.  He says the hardest part for him - five years later - is that whenever he and his wife are watching a TV show or movie in which infidelity occurs there's just this tangible discomfort in the air.  That must render like 1/3 of all entertainment uncomfortable for him.
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 11:05:50 AM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

> I simply cannot understand his reaction.....even if I had
> children I would not react in such a manner as he did.
>
> Have you or anyone you know hated an entire film solely because
> of one single scene?
>

Spoken like someone who doesn't have kids.  I just want to know - how do you know how much something will bother you after you have kids?  You have absolutely no fame of reference, and if you don't think having kids will change you that much, well, you're in for a shock.

I hated Trainspotting.  I was somewhere in the middle - a little while after the filtiest toilet in scotland - when I started singing "This is the film that never ends/It just goes on and on my friends..."  I hated all the characters and hoped they would die.  Not the least of which because their addiction was more important to them than the life of an infant.  It disgusted me to the point that, for me, the only good ending for that movie would be for all the characters to dies of dehydration and malnutrition.  If they had all OD'ed, that might have saved the film for me.  Instead, they continue to be the completely worthless scum they are.

Anyone who lets their child starve to death should be shot in the gut and left to bleed to death.  I give a rosy red rat's ass if they were strung out on H or not.

In short, I hated Trainspotting.  It wasn't just that one scene, but that one scene went a long way.

As for a movie that was ruined by a single scene, I put forth the supposed horror classic Susperia.  Maggots fall out of the celing into the girls hair, and yet she still makes no attmpt to leave the school.  Just couldn't watch after that.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Cash Flagg
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 03:13:52 AM »

Well, I have a weak stomach, so any depiction of vomiting will totally ruin a movie for me. In particular, I'm thinking of The Witches of Eastwick and Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. I can't even look at the screen during those particular scenes.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 04:37:18 AM »

Grumpy Guy, you and my friend who also hated this film should get together and have a tea party or something.

I say again.....even though I do not have children or even if I did...I look at this film  and will continue to look at it with an OPEN MIND!

You, like my friend allowed your judgement & fairness to be clouded by a single scene or scenes...which was what I was getting at all along here on this thread.

Either way, when I do eventually have children I know that I will still be able to view a film like Trainspotting with an OPEN MIND.
The birth of my offspring will not influence my opinions and DO NOT presume to tell me otherwise.
You don't know me.

Obviously, the birth of your offspring have influenced yours.
Sorry to hear that.

Not everyone changes when they have kids.
Am I wrong?
No I am not.  
And you know it.

Post Edited (01-23-04 04:38)
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 10:46:04 AM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

> The birth of my offspring will not influence my opinions and DO
> NOT presume to tell me otherwise.
> You don't know me.
>
> Obviously, the birth of your offspring have influenced yours.
> Sorry to hear that.
>
> Not everyone changes when they have kids.
> Am I wrong?
> No I am not.  
> And you know it.
>

Sorry, ASHTHECAT my friend, but you are saddly mistaken if you think having children will not influence your opinions.  Or, let me put it this way.  I HOPE you are mistaken, because if you are correct, that would de facto imply that your kids mean nothing to you.

Having a child changes you in ways you cannot imagine, at all, before that time comes.  My daughter is about a year and half, so I have been seeing/feeling these changes acutely.  If you'd like another opinion, ask anyone else on the board with kids.  Specifically, ask Velvet Brother; I bet he can see some changes already.

Does this mean you won't like Trainspotting anymore?  I don't know.  But to assume that you WILL just because you like it now is, in a word, ignorant.  You are talking about something WAY out of your experience like it is a certainty to you.  Just like I did 2 years ago, and just like probably everyone else on the board did before their kids were born.

Kids change open/closed mind?  I fail to see how someone not wanting to visualize the death of a child, when it is easy to recall those fears when late at night you could not hear your own child breathing, or when your child fell over, hit her head and did NOT cry, etc closed minded.  I see it simply as a person deciding what crap they want to fill their mind with, and THAT is what having kids changes.

If you have seen this movie a hundred times, you are probably just immune to it's ugliness.  To your friend, he was experiencing something new, from a completely different frame of reference.  Sorry, man, but I think it is a bit harsh to judge him as closed minded or whatever, just because he did not like a movie you happen to like (for whatever reason).

Let me give some real life perspective on this.  In my last job, I 'got' to be around numerous dead children.  I got to go to the autopsies of babies.  Suicides of ten year olds...yep-been there, done that.  For real, not special effects.  I got to be around parents being told their kid was dead.  I did not have a child at that time, but some of my coworkers did.  Truthfully, I did not see why having a kid would effect my ability to do my job.  How wrong I was.  I could do that job again, if I had to.  But I am different.

Now, my job is different, but as a Pediatrician in a major hospital, my wife is right in the middle of it.  She deals daily with kids with terminal diseases, kids hurt in stupid stunts, kids hurt be the stupidity of others, kids whose time has just come for reasons humans don't understand.  Sometimes, she just comes home and hugs our daughter.  Now she gets to be the one to tell parents their child has died, or will never recover, or that the parent should consider 'unplugging' the life support.  Dude, until you HAVE kids of your own, you just do not know what that bond is like and how it can effect you in all kinds of situations.

Having a kid changes you in ways spiritual, emotional and physical that you just simply cannot imagine, and 'we' cannot describe to you.  I no longer care for PET SEMETARY, and I would not like TRAINSPOTTING if that scene is that disturbing.  In your case, the change MAY NOT effect what movies you watch, but don't fool yourself; it just might.

Post Edited (01-23-04 11:27)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2004, 02:05:19 PM »

Well, I guess we all hate some scenes from films. One scene that I can recall disliking was the whole butt rape scene from "Deliverance." I absaloutely love the film except for that part. "Squeal like a pig!" "Squeal like a pig!!!" ; )

I feel sorry for the actor that had to play that part. Which reminds me... I also can't stand the BR scene from Pulp Fiction but I still think it's a bad Mutha f**ki'n movie.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies Hated For A Single Scene « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.