Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:55:01 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  ..."Franchise?" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ..."Franchise?"  (Read 3543 times)
Squishy
« on: August 15, 2001, 01:56:27 PM »

Just when you thought humanity had already hit rock-bottom, here comes a little tidbit from today's IMDb report:

American Psycho May Become A "Franchise"

Lions Gate, which is now filming American Psycho 2: The Girl Who Wouldn't Die, is considering the possibility of mounting a "franchise" of American Psycho movies, the New York Post reported today (Wednesday). In an interview with the newspaper, American Psycho author Bret Easton Ellis noted that he had sold the rights to the title when he made his original deal. "I've even heard that they were thinking about doing American Psycho in L.A., American Psycho in Las Vegas, and making a whole franchise out of it." A Lions Gate source told the Post: "We're going to see what happens with American Psycho 2 before we go ahead with a franchise." The Girl Who Wouldn't Die sequel stars Mila Kunis of That '70s Show as a survivor of the serial killer played by Christian Bale in the original movie, who has developed a taste for killing as well.
Steve.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2001, 02:04:25 PM »

What? Say it ain't so, Squishy.
Chadzilla
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2001, 02:46:57 PM »

It is a bit ironic when you think about the supposed satiric elements about brand names and such in Ellis's novel.

I just hope that the American Psycho franchise is every bit as good as The Howling franchise was (is?).

snicker snicker
Flangepart
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2001, 05:43:58 PM »

What i wanna know,is what will they put on the T-shirts? My God, imagin the merchantising? "American Psycho Underoos" this week at K-mart. (Garf!).
Vermin Boy
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2001, 07:52:03 PM »

I'm just waiting for "American Psycho: The Animated Series," with Eddie Deezen voicing the title role. ;)
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2001, 11:10:30 PM »

To see Hollywood franchise AMERICAN PSYCHO is like saying the remake of Alfred Hitchcock's PSYCHO is "a great achievement". Well, the remake of PSYCHO is terrible and a franchise for AMERICAN PSYCHO is one of the most absurdist ideas ever created! I guess crap is now in style for 2001. I just hope s**t will be in style by 2002!

Hollywood is just raking in that "Argent" by the minute. How sad.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2001, 11:14:13 PM »

I think you're on to something Vermin Boy.

As for the franchise, I think it's hilarious.  They're going to be so bad.  So very, very bad.  Think POLICE ACADEMY: MISSION TO MOSCOW bad.  Think FREEWAY 2 bad.  Isn't that what we're all here to enjoy?

I think an AMERICAN PSYCHO chain of fast food restaurants would be a good idea.
El Chupacabra
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2001, 02:04:21 AM »

I thought the whole point of American Psycho
was that this guy might really be a killer,
or might just be fantasizing the whole thing.
If they make a sequel, doesn't that kinda
ruin it?
Squishy
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2001, 07:51:09 AM »

The first time I heard the word "franchise" used to describe Hollywood product was even Joel Schumacher was, um, credited with single-handedly destroying the Batman "franchise" (Batman and Robin, what else?). Even then, it was sort of appropriate; love or hate him, Batman is a character used to hawk all kinds of crap, from TV series to toys to T-shirts to trading cards to lunchboxes to poop-on-a-stick.

The second time I heard it was to describe TV's Law and Order: Criminal Intent as "the next chapter in the Law and Order franchise." That bit all the way through the scrotum; I don't watch Law and Order constantly, but when I do, I have always enjoyed it. (I've never seen Law and Order: SVU or any other "chapters" of the "franchise" that might be out there.)

When they say "franchise," I suddenly realized, they mean "We're milking this puppy dry. Screw any artistic value. Grab the money and run." If they could, the network scumpigs wouldn't hesitate to take some crappy cop show nobody watched two seasons ago and tack Law and Order: in front of the title. Feh.

Picture it: Star Wars Episode Seven: StarCrash.

So this little article just increases my disgust with Hollywood only a little. (See the "Why Do Movies Suck?" thread.)

Picture this: by the third movie, the American Psycho "franchise" has been taken over by Chevy Chase, and sports National Lampoon's in front of the title.

National Lampoon's Las Vegas Psycho.
National Lampoon's European Psycho.
National Lampoon's American Christmas Psycho.
National Lampoon's American Psycho Goes To Japan.

Surely, these are the End Times. Soon, we will welcome the sweet release from this mortal coil. Depart from me, ye cursed!
Chadzilla
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2001, 06:40:33 PM »

The two Stars - Trek and Wars.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  ..."Franchise?" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.