Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:06:09 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dawn Of The Dead remake « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Dawn Of The Dead remake  (Read 19222 times)
Max Gardner
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2004, 11:36:22 PM »

My problem with zombie movies of late is that they all seem to be trying to cash in on the "fast, aggressive zombie" craze started by 28 Days Later, which was a fairly decent film, but there was a REASON the zombies were fast and aggressive.  Personally, I enjoy Romero's slow, shambling, mindless zombies.  I don't hold out much hope for the Dawn remake.  Here's hoping the Main Man himself gets started on his fabled fourth Dead movie.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2004, 08:37:45 AM »

Max,

I don't think we will see another Dead film for quite some time.  Romero is currently working on a script about an undead rock band.  The title so far is "Diamond Dead".

And no, I'm not joking

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2004, 06:59:43 PM »

Well, "Diamond Dead" couldn't be any worse than "Bruiser", haha.

Anyway, I didn't mean to suggest that the entire movie is in Michael Bay-style seizure-inducing editing.  Just that some of the action scenes near the end had a surprising extra punch because of their grainy, raw look.  I never said the cutting was fast, just that all of a sudden it gets very raw and intense (along with the characters' situation).

Post Edited (01-22-04 18:00)

"On no, goats!"   - The Amazing Race 3
Horror Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2004, 08:36:46 PM »

I love(and own the DVD) of the original Dawn of the Dead, but I have two questons. Just who the "HELL" is Zack Snyder! And how did he get to direct the remake. How could they even think of remaking George Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" without George Romero or Tom Savini? Is that the ultimate slap in the face of George, Savini, and "Dawn" fans, or what? So is it going to be any good, I leave it up to you? But without George or Savini, I seriously doubt it and showing such disrespect for the "God" of the Dead movies why should we care? I would be interested in hearing what you all think.

Horror Fan
chuckles
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2004, 12:15:13 PM »

The original (and only) Dawn is a classic because Romero knew how to create horror, tension and reality.  In addition to the commentary about  society and class, consumerism gone made--there was a sense of mysticism.  Our fears about life's meaning (or lack of meaning) tapped a strong feeling in our collective unconciousness.  

The "remake" may be a good ride (time will tell) or it may just show that Hollywood is "on the ropes" in terms of originality.
saul-bruce
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2004, 08:34:06 AM »

in the remake i heard that the zombies can run, which will be pointless & lose the meaning of the original, & when someone  is bitten they will transform straight away into a zombie, its well gay! just like ash-campbell, lol how ya doin man???
ashcampbell
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2004, 01:58:15 PM »

all in all it will suck ass.

take a beautiful thing and destroy it

hollywood gaylords!
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2004, 05:03:28 AM »

First of all, yes the zombies run and yes that's kinda too bad, but no, it doesn't ruin the movie.  At all - it makes for some pretty intense scenes (remember "Return Of The Living Dead"?  That's one of the few GREAT zombie movies and the zombies run in there)
  Second, people who get bitten do NOT transform immediately into zombies.  Thank god, that would be awful.

Like I said before up there, it doesn't  really have the smarts or social commentary of the brilliant original, but as a straight-up balls-to-the-wall action horror film with cool characters, that's good enough good enough for me.

And I don't know who Zack Snyder is either, but he obviously has a lot of respect for the film because the entire film is peppered with cool cameos (Tom Savini, Ken Foree..., Scott Reiniger was supposed to be in there somewhere but I missed him) and tons of cool in-jokes that I felt like I was the only one in the theater who was actually getting them (which means you all will too).

It's a cool movie.

Post Edited (02-12-04 04:04)

chuckles
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2004, 11:11:59 AM »

Ronin,

thanks for the info about the "remake".  Since you're such a fan of the original, it sounds like the remake will be fun!  Very few really great fright movies since the early 90's so.....I'm looking forward to this.  Did you think the acting was good or "cheeky"?  Were the special effects too gory?  or too computer graphic-y?

Appreciate your imput and you're definitely getting the enthusiasm up!
ashcampbell
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2004, 01:23:05 PM »

its not only my enthusiasm he's getting up!
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2004, 07:44:18 PM »

The acting was very good from Ving Rhames (an excellent choice for the badass role), Sarah Polley (one of my favorite indie actresses) and Jake Weber.  Some of the other performances are a little sketchy - I usually like Mekhi Phifer, but I had a small problem with his character and his motivation at a crucial moment (don't wanna spoil it).

It's been over a month now since the test screening I saw, but I do remember quite a lot of good gore (not quite on a par with the big "biker buffet" scene at the end of the original "Dawn...", but pretty damn gory nonetheless).  There are definitely some CG effects (and some were rough looking, because it was an early print and the effects weren't perfected yet), but I don't remember them distracting me very much (and I do HATE it when they do stuff with CGI that could have been done with real effects).

Anyway, I can't vouch for the final product - it was a very early test screening I saw, so there is still the possibility they could f*ck it up big time in post-production.  Although the audience (many of whom were unfamiliar with the original) seemed very psyched about it, I heard a few grumbling about the not-devastating-but-definitely-not-happy ending.  It had a PERFECT ending and if they change it I'll be p**sed.

So anyway, I hope all you guys enjoy it as much as me.

Post Edited (02-12-04 18:46)

Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2004, 02:43:09 AM »

I was reading "The Zombie Survival Guide" this morning, as a matter of fact.  I love that it's not tongue in cheek at all, but takes itself completely seriously.  I had to have a long discussion with my wife on what she should do and what she should expect should the living dead threaten our household at any time.  Apparently trying to school her on the finer points of zombie extermination and disposal is "crazy talk".  Whoda thunk it?

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2004, 02:55:57 AM »

I really doubt that it will be anywhere near as good as the original, but I know I've spent enough money on movies that looked even crappier, so it's probably worth it.  Hell, I saw "Paycheck", and no amount of weeping and threatening will ever give me my two hours back.  

I'm wondering, though, how they're going to explain the zombies.  The original had the benefit of following "Night of the Living Dead" and having all of the characters know what was going on at the beginning of the movie.  Hopefully they won't just have a bunch of zombies attack and not even try to explain why.  Though I guess they could throw in the explanation from "Night" (in what I'm sure would be the most horrifically expository thing ever), but that would just seem somehow...wrong.

One important thing about zombie flicks, though...you HAVE to come out of the gate with some straight up horror in about the first fifteen minutes of the movie.  After trying to watch Troma's "Buttcrack" the other night (and that's a whole other thread right there) I realized that there's nothing more boring than a zombie movie wherein the first and (as far as I could tell before I fell asleep) ONLY zombie shows up forty five minutes into the movie.  Screw you, "Buttcrack".  I want my forty five minutes back!

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
saul bruce
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2004, 11:21:13 AM »

kriss, man that was really funny,
ashcampbell
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2004, 11:28:15 AM »

i know. its well busy at work! dont think im coming out tonight
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dawn Of The Dead remake « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.