Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:20:37 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dawn Of The Dead remake « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: Dawn Of The Dead remake  (Read 19231 times)
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« on: January 12, 2004, 09:18:54 AM »

Hey, I was wondering what you guys are thinking about the "Dawn Of The Dead" remake.

I should probably be hating the idea because the original is my favorite movie of all time and I'm something of a purist, but for some reason I'm really looking forward to it.  I know it won't measure up to the original (or even come remotely close), but I figure that if it at least TRIES for some depth and character development and isn't too dumb and doesn't have too much CGI I will have a good time with it.

Plus, it's got a hell of a cast (Ving Rhames, Sarah Polley, Mekhi Phifer...all 3 I like).  The teaser was great, but I'm not too sure about the trailer.  Got mixed feelings about it.

What do you guys think?

Post Edited (01-13-04 08:12)

"On no, goats!"   - The Amazing Race 3
Gecko Brothers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 07:00:34 PM »

THe new trailer looks great though i wish they called it something else like Waking to the Dead or Morning of the Dead because the idea is a lot more different than the classic
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 09:42:35 PM »

I'll probably check it out depending on word of mouth.  I have less problem with this than the TCM remake just because I don't like DAWN OF THE DEAD as much.  If they could make this with a lot of human against zombie action with not a lot of time wasted on "social commentary" b.s. it might be worth checking out.  It depends on how many of the dumb elements of recent horror they use.  I would really love for the movie to have an original soundtrack [even if it's contemporary sounding] and not just a compilation of songs....if they did something like that I would probably be more likely to get behind it.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 01:58:46 AM »

While I loved the first Dawn, I have to say I'm looking forward to the remake.  It looks promising.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 05:13:16 AM »

Im a little aprehensive of this remake.Most remakes of classic horror movies suck, so Im a little worried.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 09:15:55 AM »

Thanks - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one looking forward to this.

I have to say, though, jmc, that I DO hope it at least makes an effort at the social commentary that I think made the original so brilliant.  Zombie action is great too, but I hope there is some meaning and some really nice character development in it as well (like there was in the original).

And about the music, wouldn't it be great if they got Goblin to do another score for it?  Would never happen though.

Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 01:18:08 PM »

I'm kinda looking forward to the remake.  I loved the original and I hope this one stays true to the whole "feeling" of the original.

I'm going to be attending a Q&A with the director of the remake at the end of the month at a film fest.  Hopefully the guy will impress me enough to check out the new one.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 01:46:36 PM »

As long as it doesn't take them 20 minutes to do what could have been done in 5 minutes I'll be satisfied.   It really wasn't the social commentary itself, just that it was done really poorly.
Prophet Tenebrae
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 11:57:20 PM »

I think that if - as the trailer portrays (but as a lot of recent films show, good editting of a trailer can make films look a whole lot different) - it's going to basically be about people caught up in a world gone mad, it might be passable.

The original was good - I don't think that it was genius but it was a good film, so I'm not entirely sure how they justify this remake (money). Let's remake the Star Wars prequels if we're going to do anything.

The whole "super" zombie idea doesn't sit well with me though. I don't really think that there's much point to having zombies running around because where's the suspense in that? To have the zombies as some sort of inescapable mass - that's genuinely frightening. That you can run but there's nowhere to run to.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 08:44:15 AM »

I agree with Prophen Tenebrae about the zombies being able to run and things like that.  A slow moving mass of zombies would be much better.

I do believe that they are going to be cutting out all of the social commentary that was in the original Dawn.  Each group was a level of society.

Zombies-Lower class
Bikers-Middle class
Mall Group-Upper class

Lower class was trying to feed off of the upper class.  Eventually the upper class seperated themselves from the lower by locking themselves in their own "mansion".  Then the bikers come in and make way for the lower class to take over.

Anyway, I believe the director is going only for an action flick more than he is a smarter horror film.  Oh well.  

:o(

Oh wait.  Did you actually say to remake the original Star Wars trilogy???? Ack!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Eirik
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 10:53:55 AM »

What I don't want to see is lots of fake-looking CGI zombies swarming all over the place.  Scores of extras with lots of fake blood and prosthetic rot: it's the only way to make a zombie movie as far as I'm concerned.  And shotguns, shotguns, shotguns.  Any movie character who kills a zombie with something other than a shotgun or a machete deserves to have his brains devoured.
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 07:47:01 PM »

The main reason I was asking you guys' opinions was that I was handed an invitation to a test screening last week that simply said it was "a horror movie" - no title.  I thought that maybe this might be it, because it was a remake, and they didn't want fans of the original swarming the theater.  And...I was right.  

I turned out to be a member of the first audience, anywhere (according to the lady who introduced the film) to see a cut of the remake.

And, well, to tell you the truth, it's pretty damn awesome.  Not perfect (there are 2 pretty dumb parts), and they don't take any time for the social commentary or political subtext that I feel made the original a masterpiece - but as a streamlined, pure visceral action version, it's pretty awesome.  Fast-paced, intense and don't worry Eirik, there are lots and lots of shotguns, lots of good gore too.

It was basically a hell of a lot of FUN.  Definitely not the travesty that was the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake.

This wasn't the final cut so I can't totally speak for it, but the cut I saw didn't disappoint me at all.  Also Ving Rhames is a great badass (no Ken Foree, but hey, he's cool) and Sarah Polley makes for a great heroine.

Oh yeah, and the opening scene and credits are  AWESOME.

Post Edited (01-15-04 18:49)

Prophet Tenebrae
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 09:54:37 PM »

No spoilers then? I suppose that's fair enough and while I find your comments encouraging - I believe I'll have to see it myself to judge (as is always the case).

Did they make the outbreak of zombies random?

And I wasn't suggesting the original star wars trilogy was remade - just the prequels...
fireal
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2004, 06:28:57 AM »

Saw the trailer for it. Dunno. It doen't look the greatest to me What is with the damn zombies crawling on the ceiling!? This isn't Spiderman!  The original is one of my favourite movies and a remake of any kind really leaves me cold.

Although I will say I will go see it. I didn't like the look of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre but I actually kind of enjoyed it.

Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
~ President Merkin Muffley in "Dr. Strangelove"
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2004, 08:12:08 AM »

Nah, I don't wanna give out any spoilers - I'll only say that for the MOST part, the makers stayed true to Romero's vision - in my opinion anyway.   Enough that I really dug it and could get into it without feeling like I was betraying the original (my favorite movie of all time).   It's even got the same deadpan, darkly satirical sense of humor, which was a nice surprise.

And about the zombie outbreak being random?  It happens suddenly and there is no attempt at an explanation, which is just like the original (the way it started in Night... anyway), and I'm so glad they did it that way.,

I can't wait to hear what the general reaction of everyone else is (genre fans especially) - I hope everyone who loves the original like I do gets the same kick out of it.

Post Edited (01-16-04 07:15)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dawn Of The Dead remake « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.