Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:17:57 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dawn Of The Dead remake « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: Dawn Of The Dead remake  (Read 19225 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2004, 09:01:43 AM »

Eventhough you liked it, I'll still have to see it.  I'm hoping that the disappointment I am awaiting will never come.  I hope that I walk into the theater and am completely blown away.  

It just seems that anyone today thinks that they can go out and make a "Zombie" film.  They say they are inspired by the classics, blah blah blah.  None of this rings true.  All of the zombie films today have FAST moving zombies-almost superhuman.  That isn't right.  They should be slow, shambling zombies.  It's just more proof that Hollywood believes that America needs MTV style sensory overload.  

"Slow zombies!?  People would never go for that!  Lets make them fast. Oh!  And super strong as well!  That'll keep the audience's feeble little minds entertained."

My wife is unfortunatly one of those people who doesn't get the horror in the Night-Day series.  She doesn't understand why the characters are so completely afraid of the "zombies".  She usually questions why the characters don't just run past the zombies.  

It's kinda hard to get past a mob of 20 bodies each trying to eat you.

Anyway, I'm off on a rave.  

I'm just sick of the new "zombie" films that have come out in the masses within the past couple of years.  I see the new DOTD as being a cash in on the success of other "zombie" films while forgetting just where it came from.  But, I hope in the end I'm wrong.

Prophet-Sorry about the Star Wars mix-up.  I agree with you, the prequels are horrible and should be remade immediatly.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2004, 05:51:06 PM »

Believe it or not, this makes me feel a little better about the movie.  

I guess slower zombies are a lost cause now...but I agree, when people speed zombies up they get rid of everything that makes zombies scary.  I think it was someone on this board, but I'm really starting to agree with whoever said that the reason they speed zombies and everything else up is that they think that the audience can't accept anything that isn't moving quickly because they want everything to be like a video game.
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2004, 07:30:57 PM »

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the zombies ARE fast-moving (but not superhuman I don't think), and I agree, it's better the other way.  But I still really enjoyed it.  

After all, my 3rd favorite zombie film is 1985's "Return Of The Living Dead", and the zombies not only run but TALK in there.  And I LOVE that movie.

So yeah, I love Romero's shambling (but relentless) zombies most of all, but if they're running that's pretty scary in a way too.  The new "Dawn..." subscribes to that unfortunately, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

I don't think it's a cash-in, because I think I remember reading a couple YEARS ago that the director (or writer or producer, can't remember) was already wanting to do it then, and had for a while before that.  I do hope it's a hit though, based on the success of "28 Days Later" and "Resident Evil" (both of which I also like) - if it was it would definitely inspire some people to check out the original.

And maybe I wouldn't get such strange looks when I tell people it's my favorite movie of all time!

"On no, goats!"   - The Amazing Race 3
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2004, 07:37:03 PM »

I think it will increase interest in the original, and that's always good, but I just KNOW it's going to replace the original for younger fans and that bugs me.   But I know people who just can't wait to auction off any DAWN stuff they might have once this gets released.

But I'm probably going to see it now.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2004, 08:35:40 PM »

I'll definitely go to see it.
I did like the original.

You know what will be sad though?
The fact that there will probably be many many people out there that don't know it's a remake because they never heard of the original.

JohnL

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2004, 12:58:28 AM »

>My wife is unfortunatly one of those people who doesn't get the horror in the
>Night-Day series. She doesn't understand why the characters are so completely
>afraid of the "zombies". She usually questions why the characters don't just run
>past the zombies.

Get her a copy of the game Thief and have her play level 3. You're down in a huge underground crypt and there are zombies everywhere. The first time I played it, I was so busy trying to deal with the two in front of me that I didn't notice the three coming up behind me and more were coming out of every passageway. I  swear I had flashbacks to the start of Day of the Dead with the zombies waking up and shuffling out of the doorways. Sure, you can run past them, assuming you're not trapped in a room with a gang of them coming through the only door. :)
Jack Deth
New Visitor

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2004, 03:46:07 AM »

I must say these fast moving zombies are ludicrous.  Have we forgotten about a small thing called rigor mortis?  Regardless that zombies are fantasy, any director should try to adhere as much as possible to physical laws.  I'm sorry but zombies running faster than Flo Jo with her ass on fire, zombies ceiling walking (WTF???), and zombies throwing people across the room just don't jive with the fact that they are dead and suffering from rigor mortis.

I'd rather see the money from this project given to Romero for his fourth dead film. At least then we'd have another classic on our hands rather than this drivel.

jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2004, 05:23:07 AM »

I dunno...Romero is too far past his prime, and began losing interest in the horror elements of the Dead series during DAWN.  He'd probably just make another talkathon with zombies thrown in as an afterthought.  

Anyone picked up that book The Zombie Survival Guide?   Max Brooks makes some good common sense points about zombies that movie makers would do well to pay attention to....for one thing, he says that zombies are deceptively strong when it comes to pushing down barricades and such just because their muscles don't tire.  Also, it makes no sense that zombies would be afraid of fire.
He says that setting zombies on fire basically means they become mobile torches until they're eventually consumed.  

I've gotten to the point where I'm not expecting a classic...I'm just glad that they seem to be avoiding a lot of the crap that's been in a lot of recent horror films.
JohnL

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2004, 10:18:22 PM »

>zombies throwing people across the room just don't jive with the fact that they
>are dead and suffering from rigor mortis.

Actually, rigor mortis is only a temporary condition, which eventually goes away.

Rigor Mortis facts
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2004, 02:29:22 AM »

Yeah, on one hand (just because the man is a hero of mine) I agree that it would have been AWESOME to give Romero the money to do a fourth film.  I would hope that it would be as brilliant as the first 3, but unfortunately, his later films were just not that good.  I mean, "Bruiser"?  Lame, lame, lame.

I do agree that the slower zombies are more scary, but these fast zombies are fun too (at least in this film they are) - they add to the intensity, especially in the later action scenes - with the jittery, grainy cinematography (which somehow reminded me of "Black Hawk Down"), the faster moving zombies become really terrifying.

And I just want to clarify that that's NOT 'ceiling walking' that the zombie is doing - that's a zombie with nothing but bloody stumps for legs pulling itself along a pipe on the ceiling.  It's pretty creepy, being in a darkened parking garage and all.

"On no, goats!"   - The Amazing Race 3
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 08:45:17 AM »

"especially in the later action scenes - with the jittery, grainy cinematography"

Arrrgh.  Please tell me that this isn't the "new-age hyper kinetic quick cut dunnowhatthehellisgoingon flash of zombie flash of human little millisecond shot of gore" film style that we have seen so often in recent horror films.

I'm sick of the super fast shots.  I want to see what is going on.  I don't want to see a frigging camera jiggle.  As I said in an earlier reply, it's just more proof that Hollywood is convinced that our "MTV Generation" needs super fast films that make no sense but cause sesnory overload.

Bastards!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Eirik
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 08:50:14 AM »

"I'm sick of the super fast shots"

Me too Skaboi.  And it's not just horror flicks.  I saw League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (forgettable high-budget crap) and all the fight scenes are a series of shots that are about four frames long on average.  I think it was the only way to make Sean Connery look like he can still kick ass.

Also bought my kids Tarzan - the Disney version where Tarzen "surfs" through the treetops at approximately the speed of sound.  It gave my son a headache, but I was helpless to console him because I was on the ground having a seizure.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 09:41:35 AM »

"but I was helpless to console him because I was on the ground having a seizure"

LOL Eirik

I just don't understand why they want to do the quick cuts/shots.  Do they honestly believe it makes for a good movie?  I guess that they find the quickness exciting, really gets the heart pumping; you know?  

NO.

Arrrgh, it doesn't get my heart pumping.  It p**ses me off!  I'd much rather see a more traditionally shot action sequence than something that's going to make my eyes bleed.  Although these types of films aren't so bad when watching them at home, trying to watch a sequence of events shot in this manner at a theater can be downright painful to your mind.  

"Hurts....thinking.....trying to slow down time with brain...who was that....ahhh...flash of bright light....person....what happened.......my eyes are bleeding....sob..."

See, I really need to win the lottery.  You know 100 Million or so.  I'd invest it into a film.  A regular film though, none of this new directing.  

Everyone can dream, right?

Eirik
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2004, 09:58:17 AM »

"I just don't understand why they want to do the quick cuts/shots. Do they honestly believe it makes for a good movie? I guess that they find the quickness exciting, really gets the heart pumping; you know?"

Look at it this way, Skaboi:  what is THE classic element of horror?  Answer - the unknown.  One way of creating the unknown is to make the entire audience constantly wondering what the hell they just saw.  

It's logical, it just doesn't work in practice.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2004, 03:01:21 PM »

I love the Orginal Dawn of the Dead. Deep down I hope I can at LEAST have a fun time watching the new Dawn of the Dead, thouhg I still wish it had it's social commentary,but I also worry that people around my age will only like the new movie and find the old movie "boring". No matter how much I enjoy the new Dawn I'll always have more fun watching the orignal. Say I wonder if they'll have the seen where in the first movie a zombie gets the top of his head cut off by helicopter problers. I also wonder if those two zomibe children will appear in the movie, I dunno we don't like hurting children anymore even if they want to kill you. I'm gonna see this in theaters.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dawn Of The Dead remake « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.