Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:24:24 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dawn Of The Dead remake « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Dawn Of The Dead remake  (Read 19224 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2004, 09:02:16 PM »

JohnL:

I believe it's on next week . . . the 15th or the 16th.  It's on during one of USA's regular programs . . . I'm not sure which program or what time.  They are showing the 1st ten minutes of the movie uncut.  There was a huge ad in THE BOSTON GLOBE a couple of days ago.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JohnL

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2004, 04:42:27 AM »

Thanks, I'll look for it, but in the meantime if you happen to find the exact scheduling of it, please post it.
Dropo
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2004, 03:16:36 PM »

Wasn't there going to be a bigger version of the original on DVD? I thought I read that is was a 2 disc set, with Romero's 139 min version. I thought it was to have the Document of the Dead making-of included. Anyone remember this? The version out today doesn't have this. i'll probably still buy it.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2004, 04:28:16 PM »

The big DOTD set which has multiple cuts of the film, is due out in September--or so they say.  I think it was originally supposed to be out last year sometime, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.  That's the main reason I bought this disc since I didn't have it on DVD at all and didn't want the possibility of having to wait till sometime in 2005 to get it.   The commentary is pretty good, the rest of the extras don't really stand out....trailers and radio spots, but not much variety--I have a VHS that has way more trailers, including some European ones.  I hope that's on the box version.

I think Document of the Dead is out on DVD already...actually I know it is because I rented it a few years ago but I don't know how easy it is to find.  They still might include it as an extra though...I know they did that with one of the European releases of DAWN.
JohnL

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2004, 04:02:49 AM »

For those who are interested, I saw a commercial tonight that said that USA will air the DotD preview Monday during Final Destination at 8pm.
billy no mates
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2004, 08:36:49 AM »

i think th emovie will b great and gory thats what we all want
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2004, 12:40:23 PM »

I heard someone say on another board that it's not very gory.  I don't mind as long as it's scary--I don't expect them to come close to the original when it comes to gore.    

Of course, the same person raved about the film but people accused them of being a shill or trying to get some sort of bonus points for promoting the film, which is apparently common these days.
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2004, 04:52:47 PM »

The cut I saw was pretty gory, a good amount of blood and guts, but not overboard, which is nice.  I've heard it had to be toned down some for the R-rating, but it will probably be gory enough to satisfy you guys.

I just hope they didn't screw it up in post-production and it sucks now and all the good stuff I've been telling you guys will be wrong, but I'm confident.  The test screening audience really seemed into it, so I doubt many changes were made.

"On no, goats!"   - The Amazing Race 3
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2004, 10:45:05 PM »

.  .  .  .  I'm not really feeling the film, from what I saw of commercials, but will a big box office help Romero get financing, er, uh, whatever the technical term is?  
.  .  .  .  btw: caught a TV add for the DVD re-release of Dawn of the Dead on TNN at 2-3am.

George Romero in Quarterly Review of Film & Video (2001):
“I’d love to do it [a fourth installment of Night of the Living Dead, Twilight of the Dead] and I’m looking for a way to begin doing it."
JohnL

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2004, 04:15:52 AM »

I watched the 10 minute preview on USA tonight. Not bad, but I don't really like the way it just starts with no explanation of what's going on. Someone else here said that it was some kind of infection, but there's no explanation of how the people you see at the start got infected. One night they're fine and the next day they're zombies. Not sure I like the fast moving zombies either. Except for acting psycho, you couldn't really tell that they weren't just crazy people.
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2004, 06:08:39 AM »

I see your point, but it's kind of hard to remake the middle film in a trilogy.  They couldn't just start in with the world already in chaos like the original "Dawn...", because it would confuse the hell out of average joe movie-goers, yet they also don't have the time to spell out how everything starts in "Night...", so they just kind of had to dig in, I think.

If this part hasn't changed since the test screening I saw, there ARE some ignored radio announcements in the very beginning that allude to some strange behavior occuring in the nearby areas.  I think that's good enough, just a little hint that the whole world is on the verge of going bats**t, but nobody notices.

And besides, there weren't any real explanation in Romero's films either, for Barbara and Johnny it's a regular day until they see the tall guy shambling towards them, and then before you know it, it's covering the world.

"On no, goats!"   - The Amazing Race 3
JohnL

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2004, 12:38:19 AM »

>I see your point, but it's kind of hard to remake the middle film in a trilogy. They
>couldn't just start in with the world already in chaos like the original "Dawn...",
>because it would confuse the hell out of average joe movie-goers, yet they also

Maybe so, but the original DotD came several years after the original, so it wasn't like sequels today where the next one is announced just a month or so after the first hits video/DVD. I'm kind of disappointed that this Dawn doesn't follow the NotLD remake from a few years ago.

>If this part hasn't changed since the test screening I saw, there ARE some
>ignored radio announcements in the very beginning that allude to some strange
>behavior occuring in the nearby areas. I think that's good enough, just a little hint
>that the whole world is on the verge of going bats**t, but nobody notices.

Yes, I noticed a few radio announcements, plus an emergency alert while they were in the shower. It just seems kind of fast. If this had been happening in nearby areas, you'd think that someone at the hopsital would have heard something about it. When she leaves the hospital, everything seems normal, or at least normal enough that they're not making a huge deal of it on the radio, but the next day, it seems that almost everyone is infected.

>And besides, there weren't any real explanation in Romero's films either, for
>Barbara and Johnny it's a regular day until they see the tall guy shambling
>towards them, and then before you know it, it's covering the world.

True, but in the original, all the dead were rising, not just those who had been bitten, so there didn't have to be any connection between the areas where it was happening. In the new one, if I understood what's been said so far, the only ones who come back from the dead are those who have been infected by other dead, so you need an actual connection between areas.
Joe Colby
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2004, 11:16:12 AM »

I went to see Dawn of The Dead remake not expecting to see any of the original scenarios in the movie except the mall.  Dawn of The Dead and the remake are both very different, there were some downsides to the movie, I think they rushed to get into the movie a bit too fast but anyways, all in all it's one of the best zombie movies i've seen and I am a zombie fan!  This movie isn't liek the original, and if I were basing my opinion on that fact, it wouldn't be a good movie because it doesn't follow the same plot lines as the original.  WHO CARES!!!  The only reason why this movie was named Dawn of The Dead was becuase it takes place in a mall, well if they hadn't named it DOTD it would have seemed like a rip-off of the original.  I also like the fact that the new age zombies are fast and bad ass.  In the old zombie movies and video games they are slow and can easily be avoided.  Well you'd better watch your ass now and be good at cross country cause this is the way zombies should be.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2004, 11:54:09 AM »

I got the feeling that the characters were only assuming that someone had to be bitten, and that it wasn't necessarily the case.  They make a lot of other bad choices and assumptions throughout the fim and I figured that was probably just another one.   Were that to actually happen I'm sure there would be all kinds of misinformation floating around.  I'm surprised they were so quick to show the way to destroy a zombie.  

I think the movie would have done poorly if it had followed the original story too closely--it would have been more like the PSYCHO remake then, or the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE remake, which is an okay movie but doesn't really have anything new to add to the original.  Romero's film was really more about social concerns of 25 years ago and to simply re-tell his story wouldn't have worked.  
He himself says in his commentary for the new disc about not being able to see how a remake could work because his film is so tied together with what was going on in the Seventies.
ben rosson
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2004, 01:01:59 PM »

YO dumbass, Savini and his crew not only handled the F/X, but he cameoed as he always does. The two swat members from the original cameoed as well. the film has had Romero's blessing from day one. Snyder is a dead fan from way back and more importantly, an apocalyptic film fan in general. after seeing the remake, it's hard to watch the original without saying "how lame is this?". don't take that the wrong way, the dead trilogy is probably my fav of all time. the remake is beautifully done though and opting to get away from a Goblin heavy score, adds to it tremendously. it has a much quicker pace than the O.G. and gets a little more psychologically involved with the characters. Not as much as I would have liked, but that is just my personal opinion. so, get your story str8 before you start blowing smoke out your ass online again. LOVE, BEN.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dawn Of The Dead remake « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.