Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:08:17 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT - Good fences make good neighbors « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: OT - Good fences make good neighbors  (Read 12956 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2004, 05:29:26 PM »

You might also remind him that it is a neighborhood "association," NOT a neighborhood "dictatorship."

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2004, 08:32:43 PM »

Un-freaking-believable. I'm shocked that this jackass has actually said outright that Eirik isn't interested in being a part of of his community, because he doesn't wish to spend $5,000 on a boneheaded scheme or to let one neighbour tell him how to enjoy his own property. What a colossal ego. I had this guy figured for an arrogant busybody, but I've never run across anything like this. I'm not a violent person, but he needs the living s**t kicked out of him.

Post Edited (01-15-04 19:37)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Eirik
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2004, 12:03:57 AM »

To be honest, if he'd asked nicely that satellite dish would be moved already and I probably would have talked to the kids about toys in the yard (though he must have been saving that one since the summer since there haven't been toys in the yard in a while).  Going to this meeting, I expected a lot of "you watch our kid we'll watch yours", recycling drives, yard sales for charity etc - all things I would have really liked to get my family involved with.  Instead it was all about how can we already-pretty-rich people make ourselves richer...  and of course Adolf Hitler Junior (my new nickname for him) was giving orders, not making constructive suggestions.  I talked to my neighbor today while he was unloading groceries and he said not to worry about it.  Most people blow this guy off and go to the association meetings for the food and to socialize.  Maybe I'll keep showing up just to p**s him off.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2004, 01:05:24 AM »

Let me ask you people, when you are driving down a street do you look at a house and think "Whats up with that satelite dish" or "Wow those people most be a bunch of slobs.They left there toys in the front yard" or do you drive straight into there living room because you were magically drawn, like a moth, by the multi-colored christmas light on there house.
Most people don't pay attention to a house unless they are specifacly looking for a particular house.The guy is a a***ole and if you need someone to lay the smackdown on his ass, my cost is a 24 pack of MGD.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2004, 09:59:37 AM »

Eirik, if I were you, I'd make myself a permanent fixture at the meetings.  Get as close as you can to the guy.  Say if it's in some type of fellowship hall get to the chair closest to where the man is standing.  Just look at him and smile.  Keep smiling the entire time.  

Eventually this will drive Adolf insane.  His suicide should be quite satisfying. (Joking....or am I?)

All kidding aside, make sure that everytime you see him you have honey dripping out of your mouth.  Make sure you are sickeningly nice to the guy and it will kill him worse than anything else you could do.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
King Kun Fun
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2004, 11:14:45 AM »

Based on this letter alone. this is my take on this guy

Mr. [witholding my last name]:
It is with some shock and disapointment that I read your letter [sic - it was an e-mail] of yesterday, January the 13th. Disappointment because you do not seem interested in being a part of our community here in [neighborhood witheld]. We have a fine community of friends who look out for each other and you are not interested in this.    (((  I'm afraid to deal with something personally so I'll use peer pressure to get my way)))

But most of all shock that you and your wife allow your children to dictate your homeowning decisions. In my house, my daughter knows who is the boss and does not question my decisions.   (((  "Ha Ha I'm a better parent than you are....  pure monkey turds!!!))))

It is also very disturbing to learn that your 5 year old son owns a "beebee gun." I wonder if CPS [that's Virginia's Child Protective Services] would be interested to know about this?  ((( coward )))

[I hope he reports me because I made that s**t about a beebee gun up] The [neighborood witheld] Neighborhood Association sincerely hopes that your family reconsders its planned course of inaction ["course of INACTION!" oooh, he zinged us!]. ((( I'm witty  and more intelligent than you .... once a gain pure monkey turds!!!!)

Sincerely, [I bet]
William [witholding last name, and I guess I can't call him Bill anymore]
p.s. A squirrel got inside the roof of our sun room last year and ate through the ceiling!  (((either he's exaggerating... but  I think this really happened and  He thinks your responsible and you should pay.  everything else is  extra crap to give him some degree of credibilty))

I think you got this little jerk in hand and can deal with him by blowing  him and his mindless crap off.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2004, 11:38:14 AM »

Eirik wrote:
>I probably would have talked to the kids
> about toys in the yard (though he must have been saving that
> one since the summer since there haven't been toys in the yard
> in a while).

He's probably had you pegged as a troublemaker for months (either that or an ignorant boob who needs his helpful guidance). When I read your first message, I could imagine him b***hing about your yard and your kids, and how you're messing up his neighbourhood, long before you ever heard about it. Fortunately, your yard is his business, because you are affecting his property values, or so the popular excuse goes. Grown.

He's a typical big fish in a little pond (albeit a bigger a***ole than most). A self-styled great thinker who can't imagine anyone not loving his ideas, and when somebody doesn't feel like going along (and isn't even impressed), he gets sulky and spiteful. I think the casual, easy-going tone of your initial rejection might have offended him more than outright opposition, since you obviously don't appreciate his genius enough to give his ideas serious consideration. You represent the thoughless, small minded people who are getting in the way of all the other lesser beings benefitting from his leadership. He'll be cutting you up behind your back from now on, but I suspect he's now just a little bit afraid of you, because you could potentially embarrass him, or at least make him look like less of a leader in front of the other neighbours. You are a threat to his delusion. This is the best outcome you could achieve with this nut.

Sorry if I keep ranting. It's a sore spot for me.

Post Edited (01-16-04 11:17)

---------------------
carol
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2004, 04:19:45 PM »

Eirik-

Your problem, by not necessarily your uniquely funny solution, is repeated every day for some poor soul just trying to live and have a nice, but not perfect, home.

My neighborhood has an "Association" which collects dues and enforces Covenants. The Association decided on its own, without a vote of the neighbors, to prohibit ALL fences unless they surround an in-ground pool. (Talk about SNOBS). The Recorded Covenants allow pools, subject to the approval of the Architectural Control Committee of the Association.

I submitted a plan for a fence and extensive landscaping for approval, received approval in writing, and began my project. The Association claimed they did NOT approve a fence. They thought the straight sections on my diagram were:

1. a plant (that just happened to grow in lengths labeled in linear feet)
2. a property line (and I wanted approval to landscape my neighbors' yards)

They further claim that they did not notice the photo of a fence (because it was included with photos of the plants) or the type, color, or 280 lf listed on the materials list that I submitted with my request for approval.

When their demands (from their attorney who also happens to live in this neighborhood and has billed over $25,000 so far to the Association) were answered with my polite refusal, they filed a lawsuit claiming that I had defrauded them and caused the Association damages (again, the property values argument).

I am representing myself and that further infuriates their legal counsel because she has tried repeatedly to "tattle" to the judge about my "obstreperous" behavior. (Interpretation: Unwillingness to take her BS). Because I have advised her in writing that I will communicate with her only in writing or in the presence of witnesses, she can no longer call me and yell at me. Writing letters takes more of her time and costs the Association more money. (Such a pity)

I love your response to deny and demand proof, because that is what I have been doing for over a year. Of course, they have no proof that fences lower property values, especially the ridiculous claim that they lower OTHER people's property values. They had no right to decide to ban fences in the first place. We have more than one "Bill" (I mean William) in our neighborhood and they "elect" themselves to the Board of the Association.

Maybe, this will help you to laugh at your situation. Everyone, feel free to comment on the jerks in my neighborhood. I need a good laugh.

Carol
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2004, 05:03:04 PM »

Carol wrote:

"they have no proof that fences lower property values"

Carol - I bought a house a little over 2 years ago.  One of the things that attracted me to the house is the fact that it has a tall, wooden fence all the way around the backyard.  I can be as sociable as anyone, but there are times when I want my privacy.  A fence is the best way to get it.

I would pay MORE for a house that had a fence!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2004, 08:49:45 PM »

I agree. A well-built wooden fence enhances a property. If I bought a house without a fenced yard, I'd build one, and not just because I have dogs and care about their safety. A fence looks good, deters burglars, keeps kids out of your yard, and keeps your neighbours from gawking at you while you barbecue. I can understand having guidelines with regard to the height and style of fences, but I can't imagine anyone prohibiting them.

The only reason I can think of would be that the lack of fences creates the illusion of bigger lots, but I can't see that making much of a difference in price. In any case, I can't stand people who buy a house as an investment to manage, instead of a home to enjoy.

Keep fighting Carol. You're definitely in the right.

Post Edited (02-07-04 19:52)

---------------------
JohnL

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2004, 03:12:53 AM »

>Everyone, feel free to comment on the jerks in my neighborhood. I need a good
>laugh.

Do you have kids? Encourage them to play on your neighbor's property and when they complain, tell them that the kids can't tell where one yard ends and the next starts. Maybe make it a point to play Frisbee in your yard and 'accidentally' hit their houses every few minutes. Extra points if the neighbor is trying to take a nap. If you have pets, let them leave a deposit on your neighbors' yards. Finally, make it a point to just walk through their yards whenever possible as if taking a shortcut. Make a big enough nuisance and they'll be the ones demanding a fence between yards. :)
carol
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »

Hi, guys,

Your comments are great. Actually, my house is the 'shortcut' property because there is a 'common area' behind it and kids walk (or ride dirt bikes) through my drive way and formerly, through my yard, to get to the common area.

I do have two daughters, one grown and living in another state ,and one teen. Neither play outside in the neighborhood, but I could start. And, yes, I do have a dog. He would love to play, unrestricted, in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, there are laws against it. Before I installed the fence, he did break a restraint and leave the yard. A neighbor called the police and I was charged with letting my dog run at large. I was acquitted because I did restrain him and he broke the restraint, but this probably gives you an idea of what the neighbors are like.

The lots here are approximately 3/4 acre each and some people do want to pretend that their 'estates' are much larger. I think it's an odd wish because anyone can see how close together the houses are. Why would anyone imagine that the yards overlap into the adjacent houses? Bizarre. The excuse for banning fences altogether (unless you install an in-ground pool) is the preservation of the 'open feel of the neighborhood.' That is such a joke because about 30 of the 100 houses have fences, with or without pools. The excuse for the existing fences without pools is that they were installed before the rules were changed. In other words, these people installed their fences, then changed the rules.

Generally speaking, I am careful not to trespass on other's properties nor pay attention to their business. But, because of this lawsuit, I know everybody's business. Through the legal process of 'discovery,' I am entitled to information about everyone's fence submissions to the Architectural Control Committee. And I get to read the rude comments neighbors write about each other. If this goes to trial, these documents will become public record. That should be fun.

I agree that I would buy a house with a fence, or install one, over a similar house without a fence. I like the privacy, security, and clear boundary of 'where I end and the next guy begins.' If anyone knows where I could find statistics that indicate that fenced properties are MORE desirable, have INCREASED property values, have no effect on the property values of neighboring properties, etc, please tell me.

Thanks again, Carol
Eirik
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2004, 07:06:19 PM »

Carol-
Your situation is a lot worse than mine.  The word "Covenant" in your post made me shiver, it has such an Old Testament connotation!  When we were shopping for places to live, I specifically instructed my realtor to stay the hell out of any neighborhood that had "community rules," "covenants" and other such ways for people to sidestep the Constitution and infringe on my right to the pursuit of happiness.  Since I am one buyer who deliberately avoided such places, maybe there are others.  Perhaps you could prove that nosy, bossy neighborhood mafias like the one you're entangled with lower property values way more than a lousy fence does.  

If they approved your plan in writing, Carol, then legally speaking I would think (hope) they are screwed.  Probably the only thing they can do is force you to court and hope that legal fees are too steep for you to shoulder - and that's the real reason your choice to represent yourself is p**sing them off so much.  Yes, you moved into a whole neighborhood of Bills, and one of them is even worse, one is a sleaze who's soaking the neighborhood association for personal gain and probably pushing your fence issue as a way to bill more hours.  Good luck and fight dirty, because they're going to.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2004, 09:10:23 PM »

Let's just hope that she doesn't find a bloody horse head in her bed some morning!

Yikes!
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2004, 11:39:13 PM »

Good lesson from Eirik....if you don't want to get into these situations check things out closely before buying a home.   I personally wouldn't want to live anyplace where my neighbors had a say about anything I did.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT - Good fences make good neighbors « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.