Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:58:57 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why is it that comedians are NEVER funny in movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is it that comedians are NEVER funny in movies?  (Read 2229 times)
Snesman64
Dedicated Viewer

« on: January 14, 2004, 04:28:57 PM »

The script may call for a comedian who gets the audience rolling in the ailes, however that doesn't mean they're actually FUNNY.  In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with a comedian character who was funny....

"Cotton candy is made from people!"
Bernie
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 05:09:37 PM »

There are plenty of funny comedians in movies.

It's SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE cast members who are never funny in movies....
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 07:08:05 PM »

Kinda OT but go rent Comedian with Jerry Seinfeld.  Not exactly funny but absolutely amazing.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Johnny Z
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 07:09:12 PM »

I used to do some stand up and am going to start up again and have my own views. There are great comedians in movie, but would say it is difficult. A comedian that is sucking on stage, can use the barbs from a heckler to enhance his act, but what are you going to do in a movie? You audience isn't there, so if you are bombing, you are bombing. A great comedian can use the audience to his advantage, even a hostile one.

If it's on Cinemax past midnight, it has to be bad.
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 07:59:19 PM »

Someone once told me, "A comedian is funniest when they are broke". I believe that's true, given how much funnier Eddie Murphy was in the early 80's.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Eirik
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 11:10:10 PM »

A fair point, but there are exceptions: Rodney Dangerfield was hysterical in Caddyshack and Back to School.  Also, Eddie Murphy made funnier movies when he was closer to his comedian days than he does now that he's been strictly acting for 20 years.
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 02:03:37 PM »

Animal House?
Caddy Shack?
Blues Brothers? (not ha ha funny, but good nonetheless)

The problem is you can't translate a stand up act to a movie, which needs characters, plot -- the sort of thing Hollywood in general has been moving away from.

And a 5 minute SNL skit does not work as a 90 minute movie (this has been said before, but it bears repeating until Hollywood promises to stop making SNL movies)
Bernie
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 02:18:26 PM »

Hell, most 5 minute SNL sketches don't work as 5 minute SNL sketches, either.
yaddo42
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 04:20:41 PM »

While standup comedy and comedic acting are related in that both are performances, they aren't similiar enough to translate into being good at one is a guarantee of being good at the other. Standup like theater gives the performer immediate feedback, film acting is a whole other creature in that other than the crew on set and the director, the actor has no one to really play to.

Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Bob Hope, etc. are the exceptions. George Carlin's best work in movies is usually in  supporting roles (like "Dogma", "Bill and Ted" or "Outrageous Fortune"), he seems incapable of playing a believable but funny leading character that could carry a film. Sam Kinison was funny for a few minutes in "Back To School" since it was basically his standup persona crammed into a film character for a few minutes. But would a whole film built around that shouting raging character be worth watching, I doubt it. Even Don Rickles is usually playing a toned down version of his mouthy insulting stage persona, look at "Kelly's Heroes".

Jerry Seinfeld has said he is too poor an actor to play anyone other than "himself" onscreen, although the episode of his show when he began turning into Kramer when they traded apartments was good, that was mostly mimicry of a broad character.

Eddie Izzard is very funny at standup and has shown he can be a decent actor as well ("The Avengers" not included). Most people think Steve Martin is talented enough to be funny at standup, writing, and acting. Although personally once I got past the age of about 13, he stopped being funny for me, "Bowfinger " and "Dad Men Don't Wear Plaid" being  rare exceptions. Different strokes/different folks.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why is it that comedians are NEVER funny in movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.