Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:04:53 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CGI thought « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CGI thought  (Read 16539 times)
Mofo Rising
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2001, 03:19:34 AM »

Some of my best friends are flying blue elephant creatures. . .

No, it's already been shown that we bring our own prejudices with us.  Of course this is a fantasy world, but we bring our own prejudices with us.  Of course we do.  If these were true alien worlds we would not understand a damn thing about these alien cultures.  Try reading some sci-fi where they truly try to keep it all science based.

The cultures in Star Wars are not true alien civilizations.  They're like fantasy worlds, where we make up cultures based on previous cultural incarnations.  Like in D&D where elves are the high minded artistic types and dwarves are the base minded workers.  There is no excuse for not paying attention to the cultural annotations that these races aroused in Episode I.

I don't think that Lucas really realized the message that he was putting across when he put these characters out, but they're still there anyway. At least I'm hoping he didn't.

Here's what I'm thinking.  In Star Wars these races had nothing otherwise besides their racial signifiers.  At least in D&D worlds we have these "dwarves and elves" races carry themselves with their own inward dignity.  You could imagine that they would be a society in themselves.  Not so in the new Star Wars.  They're only there to be the enemies.

There isn't a good track record for considering personality traits as subhuman.  Say this is a fantasy world as much as you want, but there is no true fantasy world.  It's all based on the consensus reality.  For George Lucas to ignore this fact is almost criminal.  At the very least he can never cop innocence.

There is racism because Lucas never considered true alien cultures, and only added the "enemy stereotypes" of his pasts on to the aliens of his "fantasy".

Let me ask you this, outside of this fanboy base, do you ever discuss the new Star Wars movie with anyone?  I don't.  Everybody ceased to care after they saw the movie sucked.  It's a harsh truth to realize that even Star Wars is subservient to the law of diminishing returns.

@!#$ all y'all.
Abby
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2001, 04:23:38 AM »

I still disagree with y'all. The archetype of a shifty, greedy, gambling, cruel slave owning type need not be attributed to race.  Such characters exist in literature of every culture.

However, I was among the many who thought Lucas might as well have cast Howard the Duck as Obi-Wan for how crummy Phantom Menace turned out.

For so many years leading up to the prequel, I annoyed friends by saying, "Look, Lucas never did anything good after Star Wars. Raiders was Spielberg's baby. Remember those Ewoks Adventures? Remember the Holiday Special? Remember Howard? Remember Willow? Remember that boring Dryfess stuff? Look what he did to the original movies with the rereleases! Look at all the NEW dumb toys and comic books. And those awful novels ..."

I mean, the Young Indiana series wasn't terrible, but the same people who wrote and directed it were creative kings on Episode I. They'd never worked on an actual film before. The dude who designed all of the critters for the original series wasn't even asked to contribute.

But I didn't want to believe myself, so I, too, was gravely disappointed when I saw Episode I. I'd hoped I was wrong about everything.

You know what's even sicker? Have you ever checked out The Force.net's huge trivia sections? Like, just about everyone who worked on the movie has a little ego cameo. The fact that everyone's ego was allowed to bear down on the project might be why everything sucked so badly.

I'm not terribly interested in the next flick. I think (hope) Lord of the Rings will make Lucas look like a jackass. Actually, Blair Witch made Lucas look like a jackass.

The only thing the next movie has going in its favor is that Phantom Menace nearly bankrupted Kenner, George's personal toy company slut. While I doubt the army of "I Hate Jar Jar" sites dented his ego, the dismal sales for Phantom product was a message sent in a language he understands.
Squishy
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2001, 07:56:21 AM »

(1) "Episode One" blew.

(2) I know at least three people, possibly four, who won't be chucking bucks at "Episode Two" and its stream of merchandise.

Honestly, by the time the end credits had finished, I had patched up all the plot holes and discrepancies and dull parts of "Phantom Menace" in my head and streamlined the whole thing into a coherent story.

This is not bragging; it's the equivalent of putting a round peg in a round hole, or not peeing yourself when you're nineteen, sober, and healthy.

Why it wasn't accomplished by Lucas and team, I'll never understand.
Nathan
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2001, 11:42:34 AM »

But see, there again -- is Jar-Jar a stereotype of East Indians?  Manchu Asians?  Jamaicans?  If no one can agree as to the racial stereotype he represents, it's pretty silly to argue about how offensive said stereotype is.

Nathan
FLANGEPART
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2001, 01:32:32 PM »

Got to agree,abby. The simple fact is, A-holes exist every where. People are just people, we do the best we can with the cards we're delt. Cribbage,anyone? But, thats life.  Well,here's hopeing LOTR does justice to Tolkin. Did you ever hear the 12 part BBC radio play of the story.That was wonderful. I think,in fact,Ian Holm,who voices Frodo, is going to do him in the Film! Cool Beans! Well,be good, and remember...never turn your back on an ork!
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CGI thought « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.