Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:58:05 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What will be the next big trend in horror movies? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What will be the next big trend in horror movies?  (Read 6625 times)
Eirik
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 09:24:39 AM »

"Why is it that no matter the genre, american films do dumb it down?"

It just seems that way, Susan.  Why?  Because the only foreign movies we see here are the ones that are good and interesting and well done.  I'm sure France and Italy and Japan and wherever all make their fair share of crap...  that crap just never finds its way over here.  They probably assume (correctly in my judgement) that the only way Americans will tolerate subtitles/dubbing is if the movie is pretty good, or at least interesting.

It's kind of like asking why other peoples' kids are always better behaved than yours?  Answer: because you see yours 24/7 and tend to remember their worst moments.  You see other people's kids in controlled situations for very brief periods of time.
Cricket21a
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 05:39:28 AM »

How about karate fighting lesbian Vampires that have mutated so they can walk around in the daytime and they inslave the human population for their own amusement and for producing more blood for them.

More than likely there maybe some more space type of films, like Event Horizon

hmmmmm.........Space Lesbian Vampires.........Invading a planet near you

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
Stephen Hawking
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 02:24:54 PM »

Cool!  When is Space Lesbian Vampires coming out?
Susan
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 07:43:54 PM »

FearlessFreep wrote:

> Try being a musician and watching the pop music industry some
> time :)
>

True, it makes me sick that all singers and bands are just selling an "image". You don't see the ugly talent which for eons have really been the ones with the voice. Not saying that ugly folks can sing better, but let's get real..half the talent out there isn't talent, it's a generic voice with boobs and legs. Our american idol is a joke (The only redemption is the guy from norway who sounded like a combination of bono and crash test dummies who won..now that hobbit could sing!)

>>Because the only foreign movies we see here are the ones that are good and interesting and well done. I'm sure France and Italy and Japan and wherever all make their fair share of crap... that crap just never finds its way over here. <<

I wish it would, at least it would be fresh new crap. I used to live overseas, seeing an american film was a rare thing. I guess we don't see much of foriegn stuff because they can't take the $risk$ unless it's guaranteed to make money

>>vIt's kind of like asking why other peoples' kids are always better behaved than yours? Answer: because you see yours 24/7 and tend to remember their worst moments. You see other people's kids in controlled situations for very brief periods of time.<<

Holy crap have you been to a mcdonalds or walmart lately? Nobody's kids are behaved! I remember we never acted up in public, not for fear so much of a spanking but we were expected to behave. Plus we didn't want to embarass ourselves. I went to eat yesterday and the kids in there were so out of control, loud, running around and screaming they were ruining people's meals and driving them out. The mothers sat there and did nothing, when they finally did they just yelled and exacerbated the problem. That's another topic, but dont' get me started on "other people's kids" ;-)

Genetic Mishap
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 10:55:46 PM »

Yes- but on the other hand, a bad visceral oriented movie might still have entertainment value. A brainless, pretentious "mindf**k" movie made by someone with the mentality of an angsty, artsy-fartsy film school drop out would be unbearable.
Two cents- I've seen it happen. It ain't pretty.
Eirik
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2004, 01:45:50 AM »

"Holy crap have you been to a mcdonalds or walmart lately?"

Actually, I haven't patronized either of those corporations in over ten years, but that's another thread.  When I'm in public, I generally tend to not notice other peoples' kids because I'm either busy taking care of my own or I have some sympathy in knowing how difficult they can be.  The only time I take notice really is when I hear kids talk s**t to their parents or other adults.  I heard a ten year old call his mother an idiot a few weeks ago and SHE f**king apologized for whatever it was he was mad about!!  That kind of thing drives me nuts.
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2004, 07:26:22 AM »

A brainless, pretentious "mindf**k" movie made by someone with the mentality of an angsty, artsy-fartsy film school drop out would be unbearable

First thing that came to mind,,,"Nadja"

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2004, 10:47:23 PM »

Eirik wrote:
> I heard a ten year old call his mother an idiot a few
> weeks ago and SHE f**king apologized for whatever it was he was
> mad about!!  That kind of thing drives me nuts.

Man, I've never seen anything that bad. Just parents who either stand there and take it, or in the worst cases, actually have an argument with the kid. Remember the days when back talk was simply not tolerated.

The thing that really bugs me is the parents who don't follow through on threats. The best example of this was on a recent grocery shopping trip. The kid was being loud and whiny and pushy, so his mother grounded him. He then engaged in an even louder and more embarassing display of whining and begging. She asks him "well, are you going to behave?" Then she lifts the punishment. Altogether, about 30 seconds passed. What in the hell did that teach the kid? It just left me speechless.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Cricket21a
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2004, 05:53:56 AM »

I don't think I've even heard of "Nadja" before.  Was it any good?

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
Stephen Hawking
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2004, 07:01:13 AM »

I hope that's *Topless* Space Lesbian Vampires, otherwise it just won't have the necessary artistic integrity.

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
ad
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2004, 07:08:19 AM »

"I hope that's *Topless* Space Lesbian Vampires, otherwise it just won't have the necessary artistic integrity."

For artistic integrity shouldn't it be "Russ Myer's Topless Space Lesbian Vampires"?
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2004, 08:09:16 AM »

I don't think I've even heard of "Nadja" before. Was it any good?

I'm sure the filmaker(s) thought so.  It was very artsy and pretensious...and mind-numbingly dull. I think Nathan has a review of it at Cold Fusion but I'm too lazy to look it up

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Jayson
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2004, 01:49:39 PM »

Of course the next trend in Horror movies will be the "Reality" horror movie. I can see the premise now... 12 obnoxious people in thier 20's share a big house(ala Big brother) on a deserted island(ala Survivor) trying to make it in the music business(ala American Idol) when a disgruntled TV viewer who is sick of stupid reality shows starts killing them off each more brutal than the last.

"Maybe death will stop yer yammering"--Marge Simpson
raj

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2004, 01:58:57 PM »

That part goes without saying.  Afterall, the only way to understand that they are lesbians is because they are topless together.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2004, 04:31:12 PM »

I see Hollywood churning out more piles of crap like Underworld that all the whiny angsty little bastards that play that Vampires LARP will just f**king love.  And some more really really really vomitous remakes like the hack job they did on TCM.
But while all that's going on, the TRUE horror fans like us will be ignoring that s**t because the floodgates have been opened by the likes of Rob Zombie and Eli Roth for true horror fans to make true horror movies, harkening back to the days (early 70's - mid 80's) when horror movies were at their peak.  Cabin Fever and House of 1000 Corpses (I know, not everyone likes that movie, but there will be others, and the sequel is gonna rule) were great throwback movies.  Sam Raimi is turning Steve Niles' amazing comic book series 30 Days of Night into a movie, and more to follow, including an Al Adamson-style satanic biker comic/movie called The Nail written by Niles and Zombie.
I'm kinda rambling, but my point is, it's been proven that good horror movies made by people who know what they're doing can make some money, so we're finally going to see some good stuff amidst the crap.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What will be the next big trend in horror movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.