Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:03:35 PM
714251 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ever been threatened? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ever been threatened?  (Read 3697 times)
Velvet Brotha
« on: January 18, 2004, 08:14:23 PM »

Sorry for going a little off topic here but I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice.

A couple of years ago, I was p**s poor broke and could not find a job or pay my bills. I was in danger of losing everything so I decided to make a few custom action figures to sell on Ebay.

Anyhow, to make the long story short, I received a death threat on a forum for doing this. At first I laughed and thought... what a loser but he just may be sick enough to fall through with it. Any suggestions?
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 01:56:59 AM »

I would simply ignore him but I would gather any information about him that you can such as his screen name, I.P. address along with anything else you can dig up and keep it......just in case.

As for me, yes I've been threatened with physical harm in the past but I can't recall ever receiving a death threat.
I do admit that if I got a death threat, I would be greatly unnerved by it...depending on who issued it and how far away that person was.

V Brotha, what was the threat if you don't mind asking and what were his reasons behind doing so? (I guess that I'm asking for more details)

Post Edited (01-19-04 01:02)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 08:03:23 AM »

Not sure about the laws where you are, but around here, uttering threats is an offense in itself. I'd call the cops if somebody threatened me, if it was at least somewhat credible.

What sort of action figures did you make that would bother this guy after a couple of years (assuming the threat was recent)?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Eirik
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 09:00:39 AM »

VB -

1)  Do not respond!  On the 0.0001% chance that there is a person out there who wants to kill you over some custom made action figure, responding directly to his threat will only make matters worse.
2)  Do as ASHTHECAT said and collect what info you can.
3)  Call the police's non-emergency number and politely express your concern.  They will tell you exactly what the law says and what your rights are.  
4)  Assuming this person has access to your name or locational information (why else would you be worried?), here are some things you can do for your security.

A- keep an eye out during your daily routine.  If this guy is serious about doing you harm, he'll try to size you up first.  Keep an eye out for faces and watch for one you keep bumping into.  Believe it or not, most victims of non-random murder or assassination are found to have reported to friends or family that they felt they were being watched in the weeks or days leading up to an attack.  
B- do not open any suspiscious letters or packages.  Suspiscious is something you weren't expecting; something with no return address or an unfamiliar return address; something with sloppy or mispelled address info; poorly wrapped packages, or packages with holes in the outer wrapping; packages with way too much postage; packages that smell funny.
C- Lastly, try to look alert wherever you go - a high level of alertness and confidence is the best deterrant to both random and planned attacks.
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 11:50:28 AM »

Thanks everybody! I appreaciate your concern.

They were custom Star Wars figures that were made to mimic a "RARE" line.
Basicaly, everybody felt stupid for buying them and so now I am considered a scumbag, a loser, and a crack whore's child. LOL! The stupid geeks even went as far as to wish me bodily harm and Cancer! What a freaki'n riot.

Anyhow, there was one jerk off that just couldn't let go and he threatened me with a gun. He went on & on about how I should pray that he doesn't get his hands on me and that he was a gun expert. Whatever...
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 11:51:43 AM »

Everything Eirik said is the absolute truth, and should be followed by anyone who has recieved threats.

In order to take legal action, you have to get the police going at the earlies opportunity.  If you can establish premeditation, you can go a long ways towards a conviction for harrasment or assault.  Or, (worst case senerio) murder.

Take care of yourself, Brotha - we'd hate to loose you around here. ;-)

As for threats - it's not the same, but I've persoally been held at gunpoint, and told by someone that they would "kill you yankee asses."

I was deployed in the US Army to Bosnia at the time, which is why I say it isn't the same thing.

In the civilian world, I had a friend's ex boyfriend tell me that I "didn't know who I was messing with" when I told him not to sit down next to her (she had a restraining order against him, which he knew, and he just walked into the coffee shop we were at and plopped his happy ass down next to her.  Jerk.).  

I said "I'm dealing with an on again-off again druggie who thinks he's the biggest badass in town."

That showed 'im.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
dean
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 11:54:10 AM »

Wow, there really are nuts out there, though I'm sure no self respecting Star Wars fan could ever really do any damage to anyone.  Sounds like an extremely p**sed individual who is just bloody annoyed that he can't yell at you in person.

Were the figures THAT bad?  :-P
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 12:25:01 PM »

No Dean,

The figures were pretty much up to par compared to most of the crap they buy.
The sick thing is... they warn others about the "FAKE" figures yet they are ones that proudly display them in their collections.

I thank you all for your input and I will keep you informed on any further developments. By the way, according to this a***ole, I'm a thief, a liar and a scammer! Check it out:!  ; )

http://bootlegactionfigures.com/bbs/messages/679.html

I think it's kinda funny that this loser is that angry over petty sheeat.
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 01:53:48 PM »

Hell, I say threaten him back.  Let him know that if you live, you'll come to his house and open all of his mint-in-box Boba Fett figures.  That oughta straigten him out.  It might also work to advise him that the replica of Han Solo's heavy blaster pistol that he bought out of the back of a Starlog magazine doesn't technically count as a gun.

Forgive my jokes, in that it IS a serious situation, but I find stuff like this hilarious.  I can picture it as some sort of urban-crime-drama, with this guy sitting outside your house in his car loading his gun.

"What are you doing with that?", his friend asks him.

"Some dude sold me a ripoff Walrus Man figure on Ebay, so I'm gonna blow his head off.  NOBODY screws BobaFett6969 over!  Nobody!"

"BobaFett6969?"

"Yeah...it's my kickass screenname..."

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 02:12:24 PM »

LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this moron is funny. Seriously though, I don't feel the least bit threatened by him. I was just wondering as to whether or not I should report him and teach his ass a lesson. On the other hand, who's to say that he won't cry to Mr. Lucas and try to turn the tables on me. Hell, I'm not the only customizer around. Why should I be singled out?
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 02:17:13 PM »

> Everything's funnier with monkeys.

Damn bro, are you sure you're not my evil twin? I've always thought that monkeys were the funniest creatures on the planet.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 04:02:41 PM »

Upset about you making action figures is insane. How many times were you threatened by this person?

If more than once then they have a serious problem and you should protect yourself and you family as well as contact the police. (Of course you have the merchandise you unlawfully copied and sold.)

Is this person still threatening you? They may be scaring you because they know you won't go to the police due to your merchandise.

How did you manage to go from having no money to making action figures anyway?

Velvet Brotha
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 04:20:18 PM »

Most of the materials used to make the figures cost practically nothing at all. It also helped that I had accumilated mold making material over time from various movie prop projects.

So you guys do see the problem with my reporting him? He kinda has me in a difficult spot but I'm not going to let that crap get to me. If he persues me, I could always twist his nipples and make him say uncle while shoe'n him in the nads. ; )
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 06:57:35 PM »

I was curious Brotha....
you stated that you sold them "custom Star Wars figures that were made to mimic a "RARE" line.
Basicaly, everybody felt stupid for buying them and so now I am considered a scumbag, a loser..."

Did you TELL them beforehand that it was a fake that they were buying?

If you did NOT tell them that it was not a genuine "rare" item then you pretty much ripped them off in a deceitful manner.
IF this is indeed the case,  I can understand why they would be angry...but that doesn't warrant them issuing a death threat.

Is this what happened?

Post Edited (01-19-04 18:11)
Eirik
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004, 10:50:56 PM »

Think about for a minute, VB.  How many "gun experts" (the use of that term makes me question his authenticity) do you think are out there who collect Star Wars figures?  And if he truly is a "gun expert" and truly has such a short fuse, don't you think he'd have landed his ass in jail a long time ago.  I mean surely you can't be the first person in his life to have p**sed him off.

I think that involving the police will most likely end in this guy getting spanked by his mom and dad and probably losing his internet priveleges for a while (yes - I think he's probably a kid).  That may be worth it in itself, but frankly I don't smell danger here.  (Easy for me to say, obviously, since I'm not the one threatened).
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ever been threatened? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.