Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:40:17 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  House Of Sand And Fog-Amazing « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: House Of Sand And Fog-Amazing  (Read 812 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: January 19, 2004, 09:12:24 AM »

My wife and I drove nearly two hours on Saturday with all intenions of seeing Big Fish.  When we arrived at the theater, we found out that Big Fish was completely sold out.  The only two movies that weren't sold out were Lost In Translation and House Of Sand And Fog.  

I had wanted to see House due to my infatuation with Jennifer Connelly.  I mentioned buying tickets to the film and my wife said that would be fine.  Unfortunatly, she was under a misconception about the film.  She thought that it was supposed to be a thriller......

Anyway, the film follows Kathy (Connelly) a young woman who's home is taken by the county for a back owed business tax.  The thing is, Kathy never owned a business.  The house was taken wrongfully.   The county then sells the home to a Mr. Behrani (Ben Kingsley) and his Iranian family.  He was once rich in his home country, and has the same dreams about America.  He plans on buying the house at a low cost and selling it at four times the price.

The film mainly revolves around Connelly's interaction with the family.  After she is told by her lawyer that there is no chance she could get the house back, she decides to take matters into her own hands.  She is constantly going to the home, confronting Behrani.  Their seemingly small encounters finally escalates into full on disaster.

I really don't want to give away much about this film.  It is masterfully directed by first time director Vadim Perelman and has strong performances all around, especially by Kingsley.  It has a deep feeling of depression that almost oozes out of the screen.  By the end of the film I was crying like a baby as was most of the rest of the audience.  

While we were all leaving, you would have thought us to be leaving a funeral.  The overall feeling was quite a somber one.  I felt empty by the end of the film yet part of me felt fulfilled.  I can't explain any more than that.  I will say though that this is one of the best films I have ever seen in the theater.

Being as the film was released last year, I now consider it the best film (that I saw anyway) of last year.  Depressing, insightful and overall amazing.

9.5/10

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  House Of Sand And Fog-Amazing « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.