Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:21:41 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Puppet Masters" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "The Puppet Masters"  (Read 3370 times)
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 19, 2004, 02:00:30 PM »

Not really a B-Movie but it is a Sci-Fi. Alien Invasion film so I'll mention it anyway

Supposedly, The Puppet Masters is loosely based on a Robert Heinlein  book of the same name.  I haven't read the book, though, so I can't compare them.

The plot to this one is ultra-basic sci-fi material.  Something crashes in a field in rural Iowa and little alien slugs start infesting the local populace. The slugs take over the minds and will of their host body.  Andrew Nivens (Donald Sutherland) leads a team of government personnel, mostly his son, Sam Nivens (Eric Thrall) and Mary Sefton (Julie Warner)  to try to determine what's going on, and how to stop the spreading alien infestation.  There are some standard cliches: The aliens are all one entity controlled from a single hive, half the movie is wondering who is under control and who can be trusted, etc...the obligatory 'one more was still alive' fight scene after the story is  ostensibly over.

What I liked:
No time wasted getting started: Scene one - aliens land, Scene two  -Andrew and company on the scene, Scene 3 - first negative encounter between the heroes and the aliens.  Right to the point, no messing around

The acting was pretty good.  I always like Donald Sutherland (although it wasn't until seeing this with "Dark City" and "24" in mind, that I realized how much he resembles son Keifer in the teeth and mouth).  Trall and Warner and the side characters also did well.  It's hard to act seriously without going into farce when talking about alien parasite invasions

While the alien invasion cliche was strong, they avoided many subcliches that are usually annoying.  Here teh government and military officials are professional and competent.  The scientists, while professionally fascinated, are under no illusions as to the nature of this threat and the need to find a way to destroy it..  This is the way you hope people in these positions would truly react in such a situation; something I don't think I've really seen since "Them"

The writing  had some very smart aspects which I liked:
In particular, Mary had two interesting parts.  One was when she sorta laughed with Sam about her own career as an 'exo-biologist' correctly observing that  studing potential alien  life with, um...no alien life to study is rather a humourous career idea.  I was also highly amused that Mary first suspects something's wrong with the towns folk because, as she telss Sam and Andrew, a woman is  used to certain 'reactions' from men and when she didn't get the 'up-and-down lookover' when she meets a few local men, she's suspicious.  She later tests this theory by loosening her blouse before leaning over a man's desk to get a pen and observing his...lack of interest.  That's one heck of a  way to test for alien mind control..or as the interaction between her and Sam went: "I didn't do that" "You're still doing it"

Other good writing bits included Sam's reaction to having been controlled and now being free.  Like Picard and the Borg, he may be free from their influence, but it's still messing with his head.   Also, the fact that Andrew and Sam have a negative past together, while surfacing in some dialog, is handled intelligently. Both act professionally and don't let the past interfere with the job.  Sam doesn't like his dad, but professionally respects him.  Both men at times do things that endanger the other, but only because it's needed for the greater good, and still try to do it in a way that doesn't kill the other, which could easily be done.

All in all, I thought the script was fairly well done in handling little details and in fleshing out the characters and interactions.  In the wrong hands (say, anyone at U.F.O.) these personality backgrounds and story points could've been very badly handled

What I didn't like
Well, for a movie that spends much of it's tension on 'who can be trusted?' it telegraphs the answers fairly obviously.  You can usually spot anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes in advance "oh...he's infected...this is not going to go well"  Partially because the movie follows it's own formula so rigoursly that you can almost start predicting "he's gonna get infected" and partially because the characters start doing things that are so obvious to the viewer that you wonder why the characters don't figure it out much earlier than they do.  this got really irritating The impact of finding out "he's been infected, oh no!" was diminished because as a viewer you already knew it

While for the most part, the heroes were compentent.  Every now and then they did domething really stupid needed to move the plot along.

Such as 'this person has been in a situation to be infected, let's check them out before trusting them'.  Considering that the slugs just physically attach to someon'es back and neck, this sorta spot check is really easy to do and while they do it regularly, the *don't* do it several conspicious instances.

I also sorta wondered why, since Sam was concious and aware the whole time he was controlled, he didn't later remember that he had intentionally infected a person that was not later accounted for and that person, even later, caused problems. When he was rescued from being infected and didn't immediately say "go get [this other guy]", I knew then that "oops..that was stupid...that's gonna be trouble later on" and it was.  

Finally, once the good guys knew the scope and location of the infected populace, they could've stopped things right there.  I kept asking myself "why don't they just gas the town and put everyone to sleep until they had a chance to remove the slugs?"  Instead, they sent in Army troops (who seemed, naturally, to have a hard time shooting human children) and later a commando raid by Sam and his buddy (and, unfortunately, in keeping one cliche, Sam's buddy is black so I kept thinking "he's toast, let's start the deatch watch countdown now" and I was right))

So, considering how professionally smart the characters normal actions were, and considering how I thought the script got a lot of little things right.  I was really disappointed  that a few times, the script relied on momentary flashes of bad judgement at conspicious times.

In conclusion
I would recommend this movie, the production, acting and writing is mostly good.  It's not as tense as it probably wants to be because it gives it away too many times and you have to occasionally just let the good guys be dumb, but it handles a very cliched plot in some intelligent and well executed manners

At least part of this movie was filmed in Des Moines; the building I work in was in the movie for a few seconds

*SPOILERS*

I suspected Jarvis had been infected from the moment they ran out of the TV station, and I was right.  From then on, it was obvious when someone was infected.  I knew Sam was after he chased the lady and that the 'air vent' was a ruse.  It was fairly obvious because nobody checked him as they had the previous time.  Mary was pretty obvious too because you saw the other guy watching the house and the camera stayed with Sam so Mary was alone off camera for a few minutes.   And of course, Andrew at then end was so obvious...hobbles in with a cane, walks out briskly with no cane...sheesh.   But Sam should've rememeberd the apartment manager has been infected and they should've hunted him down before he had a chance to infect Mary.  Even the lady in the conference room was fairly obvious.  It became so formulaic that the only one that surprised me was that the helicopter (general and crew) picking Sam and Mary and the kids up from the building has *not* been infected

Post Edited (01-19-04 13:18)

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 03:15:45 PM »

FearlessFreep I enjoyed this THE PUPPET MASTERS.  It is a decent alien invasion/take over film, but I saw a made for TV movie called DARK SKIES (1996) last night on Encore Channel and liked it as much or even better.

FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 04:35:32 PM »

Two other mild quibbles:

The threat was not as bad as was presented. Since the alien slugs needed to return to the 'hive' on occasion (seemed pretty regularly) the logistics of a world-wide infestation would be problematic at best

Rasing the human boy temperature to 103 degrees made for easy tracking, but would not be practical.  The reason people get sick when they get a fever is that the enzymes in your body 'de-nature' and cannot do their part in assisting chemical reactions.  A human body at 103 degrees could not function very well and would soon die.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 05:21:33 PM »

I saw this during its theatrical release.  I hated it.  I don't remember much about it because I only saw it once, but I seem to recollect sitting in the theater waiting for it to end.  I was expecting a nail-biting thriller in the tradition of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, but I seem to remember that it was pretty dull.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 06:19:01 PM »

THE FACULTY wasn't bad either.

FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 09:33:52 PM »

I liked this one better than "The Faculty", but then, that one seemed to be aimed at a different audience then me

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 09:54:21 PM »

I thought the Pupet Masters was so-so.
I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either.

I found the two lead actors to be TOO good looking and found it difficult to take them seriously because of that.

Another thing I found amusing was the fact that because I live in Iowa somewhat near where the aliens landed....I would've been among the first infected had it really happened!

Yikes!

Post Edited (01-19-04 21:46)
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 02:43:59 PM »

Nobody mentioned that this is based on the novel by Robert Heinlein. I've never read  it , but thought the movie was pretty run of  the mill.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 08:39:55 PM »

Nobody mentioned that this is based on the novel by Robert Heinlein.

It was the first sentance of my post

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 01:40:33 PM »

Well,  I guess you have to take the geezer part of  my user name seriously now.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Neville

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 09:50:14 AM »

From what I can recall, it was a fairly decent -if unoriginal- sci-fi movie, but considering the book on which is based is simply amazing (it is my fave sci-fi novel except for Richard Matheson's "I am legend"), it could have been much, much better.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Dave Munger
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 11:09:22 PM »

I read the book, didn't see the movie. Most of the things that you liked were in the book, most of the things you didn't, weren't. It had some nice, weird, Heinlein touches. I just read "The Door Into Summer" and I was thinking that if they ever made a movie from it, they would change the whole marrying the little girl part (it's a time travel story). I'm pretty sure the space blobs didn't have any kind of hive mind thing going on, at least not so centralized (it's been awhile since I read it). At one part, there's an executive order or something that makes quite a bit of sence: No one in America is allowed to wear a shirt, since that hides the blobs. At one part, someone is controlled by a blob on his ankle or something that runs a thin pseudopod up to his neck, so they make everyone in the country strip down to their underwear! Concern is expressed that if the crisis drags on much longer, the whole country might have to nudificate. The hero keeps refering to his boss and partner as "Pa and Sis" as if those are their code names or something, half way through, you learn that Pa is really his father, Sis' status remains somewhat unclear if I recall correctly, although I think they made out or something at some point. They end up tracing the blobs back to a flying saucer from full of infected humanoids from Titan. Only book I can remember ending with an invasion of Titan by Earth. One of my favorite closing lines in literature: "Death and destruction!"

http://davemunger.blogspot.com

"Come in Neville... sounds odd, dosen't it, come in ... Neville." - Mathias
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2004, 03:10:29 PM »

I've seen the film and liked it. Of course, that may be, because I haven't read the book. I think those of us who have seen the film and read the book say the film isn't that close to the book.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Puppet Masters" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.