Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:00:08 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What were the worst ripoff copycats? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What were the worst ripoff copycats?  (Read 8520 times)
Bgrade.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 08:30:44 PM »

Well if you are going to count "Virus" as stealing from the borg what does that make "Hardware"
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2004, 12:06:17 AM »

Jayson wrote:

> The Movie "Virus" with Jamie Lee Curtis was such a ripoff of
> the Borg in Star Trek
>

Like the Borg are frightfully original.  The Cybermen from Doctor Who have been trying to "assimulate" Humanity more than twenty years before Star Trek: Next Generation was even on the air.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2004, 12:50:42 AM »

Come to think of it, one artificial eye and at least one mechanical arm has pretty much been the basic sci-fi cyborg for a long time. Look at the Mandroid, for example, or a number of comic book cyborgs, or even Steve Austin for that matter.

It really p**sed me off one year when I wore a cyborg costume to work for Halloween and everybody kept assuming I was a Borg. I looked nothing like a Borg -- the cyborg parts were silver, and I was wearing ordinary clothes.

Post Edited (01-21-04 09:50)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2004, 07:31:29 AM »

You tell 'em, Cullen!

Though, thinking about it, Edgar Allan Poe's "The Man Who Was All Used Up" seems to be about a cyborg from way back when ...

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2004, 11:45:33 PM »

Judge Dredd is a ripoff of Demolition Man;

A law officer in the future is framed for deaths he didn't commit. He's sentenced to prison for these crimes, but ends up tracking down the real bad guy with the help of a female officer who believes in him. The bad guy is someone the hero has a history with and who is released from prison by a city official who hopes to use the criminal to accomplish their own goals. The criminal doesn't like being controlled and ends up killing the official so that they can do things their way, including killing the hero, which is more important to them. There's an excursion and a fight in the lawless areas, and then a chase in which the hero hands the controls of his vehicle over to someone who isn't experienced in driving it. The bad guy hopes to create an army in a high-tech facility, but is foiled by the arrival of the hero before he can accomplish this. In the end, the city is left without leadership as the hero returns to being an officer of the law.
42nd_Street_Freak
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2004, 11:58:06 PM »

Is that a joke!??  Please say it is...

The "Demolition Man" was a rehash, with a few twiddles here and there, of  the original Judge Dredd comic strip!  
That came out decades before "Demolition Man"...
The same can also be said about "RoboCop"...
The s**t awful FILM of "Judge Dredd" came after "Demolition Man" but it was based on the aforementioned comic strip that pre-dated "Dem Man" by about 2 DECADES!

JohnL

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2004, 04:16:33 AM »

I'm not familiar with the comics at all, I only know the movies. Are you saying that the basic plot for both movies was taken from the original Judge Dredd comics?
42nd_Street_Freak
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2004, 10:10:53 AM »

Blimey, I thought everyone knew about the Judge Dredd strip. Sorry.

It's from Brit sci-fi comic "2000 AD".  Dredd was the most popular of the stories in it.  Started in 1977..  
The film was on and off for YEARS.  Clint Eastwood was always muted to play Dredd but it never happened.  "RoboCop" then came out (very much like a Dredd type story in parts and in the 'emotionless' way he dispenses instant justice on the streets.  Then we had "Demolition Man" which was a bit like Dredd again.  With the future City and it's strange way of life and fines.

Then "Judge Dredd" finally appeard and it was a s**t heap.  A f**king insult to the comic strip in everyway.  p**s on it's negatives.

GO HERE and you can see some Dredd comic strip info and pics:

http://www.2000adonline.com/

Click on 'Characters' above and then the face of Dredd...

JohnL

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2004, 07:51:18 AM »

>Blimey, I thought everyone knew about the Judge Dredd strip. Sorry.

I knew it was a comic, just not any of the details.

What I meant was that it looks like the makers of Demolition Man took a lot of the IDEAS from Judge Dredd for their movie and then the makers of the Judge Dredd movie came along and ripped off Demolition Man's PLOT. Unless of course, the JD script had already been written and the makers of DM saw it and used the same basic plot for their movie. Either way, there are too many plot similarities between the two movies for it to be a coincidence.
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2004, 08:29:35 AM »

In a perfect world, there would never be a use for the phrase "David Hasselhoff as Princess Leia".

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2004, 09:43:11 AM »

In a perfect world, there would never be a use for the phrase "David Hasselhoff as Princess Leia".

In a perfect world it would be  a criminal offense

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2004, 11:13:48 PM »

My pick will always be "Unknown Origin:"
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/unkorigin/index.html

Dialog is taken directly from "The Thing" and so are a number of scenes.  Not just what happens, but lighting, position of the actors, camera position - complete awful ripoff.

Also, of course, movies that tried to be "Jaws:"
Orca
Tentacles
Up from the Depths
Tintorera (never seen, but so I understand)

On the good side, I always like "Blades" as a parody of "Jaws."  Them shooting the killer lawnmower with the, ah, stand-ins for the barrels was funny as all heck.

"Stranger from Venus" and "The Cosmic Man" did a number on "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

Also, since I watched "Waxwork II" lately.  That movie did not have an original bone in its entire body.  Well, if it had a skeleton, that is.  I was really staring in slack-jawed amazement when I realized they were doing a homage/parody of "Creature."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2004, 02:31:09 AM »

Was that the one with Bruce Campbell as the scientist in the "Haunting of Hell House"/"The Haunting" scene?  I vaguely remember the entire movie completely turning to crap around that point, but Bruce Campbell seemed to be having a hell of a good time with it.

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
JohnL

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2004, 10:13:15 AM »

>Was that the one with Bruce Campbell as the scientist in the "Haunting of Hell
>House"/"The Haunting" scene?

Yup, that was Waxwork II.
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2004, 01:11:33 PM »

Just saw "The Silencers" this weekend and I'm fairly certain "Matrix: Reloaded" ripped off the truck chase scene from this movie

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What were the worst ripoff copycats? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.